Everything posted by spcdust
-
Best Mid Range Tyres - MK4 Estate 1.5TSI
Think I have settled on Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 205/55 R17 V (95), the variant that has an A rating for both fuel efficiency and wet braking. I've got my local Tyre fitter, who is 2 minutes away, to do all four tyres for £500, which doesn't seem bad. Here's a link for the specific tyre: https://www.blackcircles.com/brands/goodyear/efficientgrip-performance-2/205-55-r17-v-95?tyre=48109058
-
Best Mid Range Tyres - MK4 Estate 1.5TSI
Thanks - trying to work out if the extra £20-£25 per tyre difference for the Performance 2 is worth it, or actually whether the regular Performance tyres that you reference actually have any advantages over the Performance 2. Possibly, the Performance 2 has increased longevity, but it's a minefield, as on the websites you get tyres with the same model name and size but slightly different prices and ratings
-
Best Mid Range Tyres - MK4 Estate 1.5TSI
Thanks @SteveTheElder . Are those the Performance 2 variant?
-
Best Mid Range Tyres - MK4 Estate 1.5TSI
I appreciate that the question has been answered time and time again, but so many conflicting answers. Need to replace the factory-fitted tyres on my January 2021 Octavia Estate 1.5TSI SEL First Edition after a very respectable 51,000 miles. Do a combination of urban driving, but regularly do 500 mile round trips of motorway driving. Live in the South of England, so we don't really get much snow. Driving style is sensible rather than sporty. What do people recommend where the priorities, in order, are grip, fuel efficiency, longevity, and noise levels? Mid-range, known tyre brand preferable but open to suggestions. Contenders seems to be Michelin Primacy 5 (Longevity looks to be good) Goodyear Efficient Grip (Not sure which version) Thanks in advance
-
New software available version 1989
It’s really simple to factory reset, will take all of 10-15 minutes maximum and majority of your settings will re-download from the Cloud. Think you can get an S-Pin reminder through the portal and once car set up just disable the S-Pin on the Infotainment system.
-
New software available version 1989
Isn’t there a physical button, centre console below screen on same row as air con physical buttons - second button from the left (UK Var)? Only reason I say this is I forgot that the button existed and searched through the virtual buttons only to realise there was in fact a physical button for driving modes. I grabbed the photo from the internet but, if memory serves me correctly, that’s roughly where the “Mode” button is on my Octavia Mk4 1.5 TSI SEL First Edition.
-
New software available version 1989
If applying updates via USB, it’s not necessary to have the engine running; however, the car must be in a state of ignition. Probably having the engine running is a belt-and-braces step in case the car battery isn’t holding a full charge and could potentially shut off power midway through the update. OTA updates, after you accept the update, follow the prompts, but basically leave the car to do its thing.
-
New software available version 1989
If you put all three at root level of your USB stick the system will know what to do when you initiate the update.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Really sorry to hear this - the only thing I can think of is starting the car and then holding the Infotainment power button down and see if that forces a reboot but it’s a clutching at straws suggestion. I know where you are coming from and appreciate your frustration. When I first got my First Edition in 2023 (second hand) it had multiple issues around the software but thankfully using information found in this forum, a couple of visits to the dealership to get modules firmware updated, it’s now rock solid. The problem is they’ve put a lot of tech in the Mk4’s and no one at Skoda seems to understand how all the various modules and firmware versions of these individual modules interact with one another and can cause problems. The dealerships aren’t proactive as they are completely reliant on diagnostic information and directives from Skoda HQ - really is a case of “computer says no”. It’s a real shame as they are actually great vehicles which have been blighted by shoddy software and subsequent lack of support and knowledge to resolve ongoing software issues. If Skoda could just get on top of this and roll out a program of all relevant updates, installed at the dealerships, that could be applied to vehicles based on their specific hardware configurations that would be so much better. Unfortunately they seem to only do anything on a piece meal basis based on if you have a specific issue - even then they often seem clueless. The crux of the matter is you have car manufacturers trying to be software developers and they don’t seem to be very good at it and manufacturer vehicles the dealership network workshops don’t really understand.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Have you done a Factory reset through the settings menu. This has resolved most issues following the OTA update (there is a separate thread regarding the 1989 update). You will have to re-add yourself as the primary user, using both keys fibs, and any other user accounts but takes no real time and once you are logged back in your settings download from the Cloud. Finally re-pair your phone.
-
Is the age of the car related to the current v1989 update issues?
Octavia Mk4 Estate 1.5TSI Manual - SEL First Edition Manufacture Date: September 2020 (approx) Infotainment Hardware: H56 Display Unit/Control Panel Hardware: H44 Display Unit/Control Panel Software: 2088 Applied the 1989 update manually via USB, then, as I have always done, Factory reset the Infotainment Unit via settings. Re-added myself as Primary User and also my wife as another user (handy as the user is linked to your key fob and adjusts the electric seat position)-no problems at all to report. Definitely think the factory reset is a worthwhile step, but also maybe updating the system in one step via USB is better than OTA?
-
New software available version 1989
As repeated multiple times by multiple contributors……. If you are experiencing issues after the update, and tbh even if you are not, do a factory reset via the settings menu. No guarantees this will sort your issues out but it’s a good starting point and seems to have done the trick for multiple people.
-
New software available version 1989
Factory reset is an option on the settings menu. Once you have done that you will have to reset up yourself as primary user using both key fobs and also any other user accounts. It’s not that bad as once you log back in the bulk of your settings are downloaded from the cloud. Finally re-pair your phone/s. Factory reset after the update
-
New software available version 1989
Factory reset is in the settings menu. It will initially unlink your car from your primary user account and then reset the system. Then make yourself the primary user again using the two key fobs, and also add any other user accounts. Most of your settings will then be downloaded from the cloud, and finally, re-pair your phone. I suspect this will resolve any outstanding issues and should only take 10-15 minutes. Over the last couple of years, I have applied three updates to my car via USB and have always done a complete factory reset after each one.
-
New software available version 1989
I installed the new update via USB, not OTA, and not experienced any issues so maybe it’s the way the OTA update applies it to the system? For those having issues have you tried a complete factory reset? I have always done this after each update I have applied, maybe it makes no difference but in my mind it’s like starting with a clean slate.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Very much led by me. Whilst I have a relatively good dealership I had to instruct them to specifically update that module. Search this group as you’ll find discussion about it, including posts by myself. I have a feeling, there is a specific Skoda issued TPI regarding this - if so it will be on this group which is very handy as you can then refer to it.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
When I first got my 2020 First Edition Skoda in 2023 I had the pop pop, losing SOS functionality and the navigation position going haywire which would usually crash and freeze the whole infotainment system. Generally solved by rebooting the system but sometimes that wouldn’t always work and would require keeping ignition off for around 30 minutes before re-starting. The one big thing that solved a lot of issues was getting the Telematics Module firmware updated. Will have to be done by the dealer but it’s a relatively quick job - hopefully they’ll charge you 30 minutes labour. Not sure it will solve the screen switching off but maybe a good starting point as new screen replacement will be very costly.
-
New software available version 1989
Manually installed via USB, no issues, just be patient. I always factory reset the system afterwards and re-set up users. Confirmed it's official (why wouldn't it be?) as the software version was listed on a recent Service Invoice from my local dealership as installed (they hadn't), followed by a note that it's an OTA update for the end user (which never seems to arrive).
-
Update To Infotainment Version 1985 - Download Link and Guide
I believe for pre-facelift Mk4 models there will be no more updates after 1985.
-
NEW: software 1985
Updating the Infotainment system is unlikely to solve all issues; many modules link to the car's central control, and likely some need firmware updates - unfortunately Skoda and their dealership network seem a bit clueless in all aspects of this so you have to be proactive and "informed" in getting them to do anything - trawling through this forum there is a lot of information which will likely prove useful. If you do want to update the infotainment system, then it's a manual procedure detailed on this forum. If you are experiencing SOS errors, I would recommend asking the dealer to update the Telematics module firmware, as this was a common issue with early editions of the Octavia. I have the same car as you and, along with a few other software issues, I used to get SOS errors with it going offline, Sat Nav going a bit haywire, and infotainment system sometimes freezing, and getting the Telematic Modules firmware updated was, more or less, the solution to all that. My car now runs problem-free.
- Issues with Early Build (2020) SEL 1st Ed Models
-
Issues with Early Build (2020) SEL 1st Ed Models
When I had “discussions” with Skoda, I escalated it to the UK CEO / Executive Office. That way, an individual, further up the food chain, takes sole responsibility for your issue and has more authority, although you still have to push hard, and they still seem to forget what you discussed previously. As James said, what they are saying sounds like rubbish. However, I would add that just updating the infotainment system may not fix all issues - it often requires other individual modules to have firmware updates applied. This is where it gets trickier as Skoda does not proactively apply module updates to vehicles, in my experience, you have to report a specific issue and then more or less guide them to a specific solution - "you need to update X module with Y update" I have a First Edition 1.5TSI Estate, and when I purchased it in 2023 had to get several module updates applied to resolve issues - the Telematics module is a prime example if you get SOS issues or the Sat Nav does weird stuff prior to the whole Infotainment system crashing. As far as Infotainment updates go, I have just downloaded and updated mine via USB for the last couple.
-
Update to Version 1969
I have had a few modules updated since I purchased my 2021 registered Octavia 18 months ago. The one that seemed to cause the most issues was the Telematics module (linked with the SOS function and seemingly the Sat Nav). Once I got that one updated the crashes, SOS system hanging and Sat Nav placement of vehicle on map were all basically resolved.
-
Update to Version 1969
As it’s such a new purchase could you ask the garage to apply any necessary updates? Updating the Infotainment system won’t necessarily solve issues as it can be down to different modules needing firmware updates which the Infotainment system update don’t include.
- Issues with Early Build (2020) SEL 1st Ed Models