Skip to content

Jim H

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jim H

  1. I had a look at Camskill and if I bought Toyo R888Rs for my car or an ST (on 17s) they would have 5 mm tread brand spanking new! I wonder if Ford would give a warning for low tread? https://www.camskill.co.uk/m117b0s4744p169940/Toyo_Tyres_Trackday_Track_Day_Toyo_Proxes_R888R_-_205_45_R17_88W_XL_(GG-Medium)_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB
  2. I went to my local Ford dealer last week for an MOT which I can't complain at only £40, however on their inspection sheet they gave me a (not for MOT) an advisory warning or low tread levels on tyres. They were 4.5mm and 4.7mm, ie half warn! I questioned this and they said it was some European guidance, to advise when at 5mm or below. Do other car dealers do the same? I admit my car does have all-season tyres all round (Goodyear & Crossclimates) which I think have 2 types of wear indicators. The standard one (1.6mm) and one at about 4 mm which I understand is minimum for snow performance. They also measured the brake pads incorrectly. On the sheet the front ones were 6mm which I thought was strange as 6 days before I fitted band new ones at 10mm. Is there a minimum pad thickness for an MOT? I guess it would fail if the wear indicators were showing (light or metal pin), but mine doesn't have it (Fabia didn't have one either).
  3. Something to think about. Wyoming is proposing to phase out (ie ban) the sale of electric cars by 2035. https://wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2023/SJ0004 https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/17/wyoming-republicans-propose-electric-car-ban/
  4. I've always mounted my windscreen phone mount in the centre of screen to left of driver. It means you don't have cables dangling down, plus the passenger can read the map too. I normally remove it after every journey, plus my old one used to fall off anyway. Ironically I bought a new mount and a new phone at same time, but use Android Auto all the time, so don't need it. On a slightly similar note a few years ago my brothers car failed it's MOT because his work car pass was stuck on the right hand side of the screen. "Windscreen has a sticker or other obstruction encroaching by more than 10mm within zone 'a'"
  5. Many years ago it was said on here (jokingly) that an innocent cute kitten is shot ever time some posts a question on here without using the search function!
  6. This is not the first time they have done it. VW have attempted to enter into Formula 1 in the past. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/the-vw-f1-engine-axed-before-it-could-change-gp-history?fbclid=IwAR2z9IR2DC0SS-thRQV9ilEtMBHsvyl44DW9IySACRWfbCAGckrLfhTYwmo
  7. The Mail has a good article with a nostalgic look back. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11350555/Ford-Fiesta-set-axed-46-years-4-8million-sales-no-electric-model-works.html
  8. Despite being the most popular new car in Britain for many years, Ford have announced they are dropping the model from the line up next year after 46 years in production. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63391466 https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/359074/ford-fiesta-set-be-axed
  9. I's probably too late now, but I used this one https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/skoda-fabia-hatchback-years-2000-to-2007-wiper-blades/bosch-a350h-wiper-blade I also fitted Bosch aerotwin front wipers too. I bought them from ECP (with discount codes) or above site, whichever was cheapest.
  10. What the OP probably needs is a changeable map so can have a smoky one for fun/trackdays then standard or non-smokey one for MOTs and normal driving, etc Would that be cheating?........not that VW (VAG) has ever done that!
  11. I would normally say, R.T.F.M. Do you have an owners manual? The online one seams useless. It says if bulb is defective, then change it (unless its LED), but does not explain how to do it! Actually on the subject of manuals, does anyone know where to buy (or download) a manual from? A friend of mine has recently got a 22 plate Fabia and wants one. I've found the interactive one on the website, but would prefer a hard copy of it. Do stealers have them?
  12. I can vaguely remember Clarkson showing you could start an old Vauxhall Nova without a key. I can't remember if he could open the door without one though.
  13. The wait is over. Episode 37 has been released to the public tonight.
  14. Our 2016 Fabia SEL does not have one-touch windows, which I do find annoying. I was surprised being top of the luxury trim. Both our Mk1's had it. I think later Mk III Fabias had it. It would be nice if you could retro-fit one-touch windows.
  15. I've not watched most of the series, but this is a great episode. An interview and reminisce with "my mate Paul".
  16. I don't know if it's happening in other stations, but my local Shell was apparently showing these notices today.
  17. Tonight I came across this video review of the new Fabia. It looks like the same car that others have reviewed. I don't think it has been posted on here. I was very surprised about the comments made about the boot size and comparisons to other cars.
  18. We wait months an months for an Binky episode, and 2 come out within a week of each other! Episode 36.
  19. Diesels don't have dump valves as there is no butterfly throttle valve to stop the airflow. I think as mentioned above those kind of noises are normal for the turbo to make.
  20. That's only reinvent to 2.0 l mk1 Fabia If you didn't know, it's Read The Flipping Manual * *Clean version* Flipping can be changed.
  21. Nice vid. As someone mentioned above, I do like physical controls for controlling heating, unlike some new cars, although near end of vid it has controls on touch screen. Shame no volume knob though. One thing I noticed. There is a USB-C socket at the back of rear view mirror, could this be for powering Dashcams, can't think what else it could be for?
  22. I bought the Paragon paint about 5 years ago and used it on my calipers with no problems. It's enamel paint and they state a "Temp Resistance: 170ºC." . I painted all 4 calipers 2 or 3 times and still had 3/4 of tin left. The rear calipers are made from Aluminium so you will also need a tin of their etch primer. Fronts and carriers don't need it as they're Steel, but I primered them anyway. This is the original thread that this paint was found.
  23. 2 things. You're not new George, and the pic with red airbox is coloured to highlight where it is. It is normally Black. I changed our air filter a month or so ago, I must admit I had to look on Youtube to find how to change it. I agree the screws are in a stupid location. If they are required why weren't they fitted from the top, so you don't have to take the whole thing off.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.