Everything posted by travs
-
Is this signalling the end of high performance cars
Not going on the article given it refers to introduction of a Speed Limiter and then: "What is a speed limiter? It's a safety feature you can install in your car to prevent it from exceeding a set speed. Unlike cruise control, which maintains a constant speed, a speed limiter lets you accelerate and decelerate as usual, as long as you stay within the speed limit you've set. Speed limiters, often referred to as Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA), use GPS or traffic-sign-recognition cameras to determine the maximum speed allowed in an area and restrict the engine's power accordingly."
-
Display start screen
Mine is the same as the 2nd pic all the time as well - didn't think I'd done anything. So you switch the car off with the 2nd pic, but next time you switch on its back to the 1st pic?
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
I'm not absolutely convinced its completely nothing - it might not be the absolute panacea, but I do think there are specific conditions where its a benefit to the in-gear rolling with no fuel. I find a rolling road (a road with rolling hills, not the power-measurement device), can be ideal but you do need to get the timing right with the throttle pedal so you can maintain speed. Thinking of a certain section on the A21 from Tunbridge Wells down towards Battle, I'd definitely not make the gradients while still in gear and need to use throttle, whereas with coasting the car rolls easier and maintains sufficient to roll along. Agree it would need scientific measurement and consistent runs to work out whether its a benefit (ie a lab...)
-
Machine Polish Sheffield Area ?
Its a fair point - and its a bit of a niche market in many ways; both from product and service provider aspect. Product range has increased massively over the last decade or so, and with it comes a range of quality. There are a few social media and YT channels which are great at getting the word out there but any reviews are always to be taken with a pinch of salt on the basis of not proven to be entirely independent. There's also a few YT detailing 'specialists' who don't actually detail for a living but that's not necessary obvious. From the membership point of view, the joining and membership fees aren't an issue really and anyone who is serious about creating a business should see it as a valid business expense. Do you use Spotless Water or some sort of De-ionised setup? I love how that dries and leaves nothing behind - a definite game-changer.
-
Machine Polish Sheffield Area ?
Happy to put it here - might as well have it available to all. IDA is International Detailing Association. It’s US-centric but has national chapters located around the world in many countries. It’s there to standardise the industry, make sure the knowledge is accurate and consistent, create a level of ability and understanding and make sure that qualified members are of a minimum standard to attain certification Members then have to carry out CPD to make sure they stay at the required standard as well as keep their knowledge at the forefront of the industry. To be CD-SV (Certified Detailer - Skills Validated) you need to pass a set of knowledge tests (80% pass mark) and then be observed carrying out the right processes using the right techniques and products. PVD is uk-based and is run by a guy on the IDA UK board, so they aren’t in conflict with each other. Entry level into PVD is a bit more stringent about people who work professionally in the industry. It also has an entry exam but then requires (i) detailing to be your main source of income, and (ii) proof of sufficient insurance policies to cover not only 3rd party and public liability, but also vehicle under charge. Service providers are largely unregulated specifically (I.e. aside from usual business, tax requirements) and people are free to start and carry out business without any real regulatory hoops to jump through. This results in a wide range of abilities, no industry oversight and accountability, and no checks or controls on intention or quality of work. Whilst there is no authority charged with creating a minimum quality-standard, the next best thing is to create those minimum standards proactively and try to ensure the market is aware. As such, both the IDA and PVD are synonymous with members who have had to learn, understand and prove correct implementation of knowledge-backed, processes to ensure the high-quality services. In other words, while detailers/valeters who aren’t certified might not be cowboys, those that are will have jumped through a number of hoops to make sure they aren’t, and there is customer-recourse if anything does go wrong. Right, hopefully that didn’t sound too wordy…
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
2021 model and coasting in everything but sport mode (or if you knock the gearbox into Sport). My guess is if it has the roundel on the back it’s ECO only. And yes agree ECO is more likely to coast than normal or comfort
-
Rear nearside vent glass replacement
Thanks Danoid. These guys seemed to think that dealer was the only source which tbh I’d only be happy with OE; need to speak to Autoglass to get a quote pipe from them but it’s £115 excess for replacement and yes wouldn’t expect anything other than genuine parts.
-
Rear nearside vent glass replacement
In-laws place is down a private road; was their back garden being done on their own ride-on so no chance of getting that one pinned 😔
-
Rear nearside vent glass replacement
-
Machine Polish Sheffield Area ?
Oh - that’s a bit unnecessary to have to do that. Sorry it didn’t work out. Ok, next one is Detailing Detectives. Serve South Yorks. The MD is on the board of the IDA and PVD assessed as well. They were my first thought but I didn’t think they were in the right area until I actually looked at their website. Hopefully worth a punt too; I can point in a word for you if you want if you’re not interested in any interior upselling etc.
-
Rear nearside vent glass replacement
Hi all, Mrs came out to the car down one morning at her folks and the rear nearside vent glass had been shattered. Still in place but a little hole in the middle; suspecting an unlucky shot from a lawnmower. Anyway, have spoken to a local windscreen company who say this is £470+ VAT and can only be sourced by a main dealer. Quick online quote from some random company through google comes up with a similar so willing to believe its not a one-off price. Seems like its covered by insurance if we use Autoglass at least and doesn't hit our NCB (so definitely definitely won't impact our renewal quote.....) but is there really no alternative?
-
Professional detailing
Sounds like it’s sorted for a while then! Now to never take it to a car wash or a volume handwash! And if you ever feel like the costing isn’t as good after a year or so, it’ll more than likely just need a good decontamination clean etc 👍
-
Dashboard carpet/mat to stop Summer glare
Otherwise a plastic trim product with a matte effect? I tend to know Carpro products more than anything and they have PERL which can dress plastics and give UV protection.
-
Professional detailing
Looks good - glad you’re pleased with it. What did you have done if you don’t mind me asking?
-
Machine Polish Sheffield Area ?
How did you get on? Success?
-
Anyone else spec the heated steering wheel?
I never had a graphic on the Columbus with the seats. Just an indicator on the dash; might be a facelift thing though? However that was until a little over a year ago when it stopped working altogether. Had a new steering wheel out of it under warranty (just before expiring) but tech reckoned if Skoda wanted to dig deeper into found I’d been using VCDS then they might void the warranty. Tech was a bit vague on the phone but I think he said the system was feeding back that the wheel was over temp and so auto-switching off permanently. Found on VCDS that you can set the shut-off temp but it’s at 50c and can’t be set higher.
-
VCDS options on Superb III.FL
And, sorry to overlook but thanks @MartiniB for putting this together. Really useful and some brilliant stuff. Love tinkering with stuff like this.
-
VCDS options on Superb III.FL
On this turning on rear DRLs - I found the stored value is in English…BUT…there is Daytime Running Lights, and Daytime Running Lamps. On my MY21 it is “Daytime Running Lamps”. It is nuts how half of it is in English and half in German. For example - “Not Active”, then “Activ 100%”. Tricky
-
MST Silicone Intake Hose & Turbo Elbow
Yeah I think you’re right. The fixing at the end of the elbow is the wrong angle for mine. It’s silly as I think a load of websites are getting it wrong probably because 2021 vehicle for one brand isn’t the same. Mine must be very early Gen4 and is probably when they switched from 272 back up to 280. Maybe. Cheers for getting back to me. Fingers crossed for the sale 👍
-
MST Silicone Intake Hose & Turbo Elbow
What Gen of EA888 is this suitable for? I have a set of Racingline versions but found the intake hose doesn’t have a connection to spur in an oil breather - which means it’s for the Gen3 and my engine is the Gen4. If your stuff is for Gen4 then I’d be interested! Otherwise, it’s the same issue as what I already have. Cheers!
-
Small mods to alter the sound of the car?
@vRSRutty are you still looking for something? I bought some Racingline intake bits and turbo muffler delete on here that should make a bit better intake sound. Panel filter, intake hose and intake elbow are all simple and smooth the airflow, the turbo muffler delete is designed to do that also. Bought them in prep for warranty expiring…and completely overlooked that I bought bits for a Gen3 engine and I have a Gen4 so some different infrastructure design and these bits won’t fit 🤦🏻♂️. Send me a message if you want to know more.
-
Racechip discount code
Hey all, Hope this doesn’t contravene any regs but please give me a yellow card if so! Hey just in case anyone was feeling flush and was looking to purchase - Racechip have a 25% discount code that I’ve seen ends today. It is hH1ahpHS I have no affiliation, just had this in an email as a previous customer and thought I’d pass it on as I don’t think it’s individual to me so shouldn’t need my login or be a 1 shot (but as I haven’t tried, I can’t guarantee anything!). Website is https://www.racechip.co.uk/
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Can also spray it on the body around the wheels to decontaminate any iron fallout, stated to be safe for lacquered wheels so no issue on lacquered paint. Same thing, let it dwell without drying, see if there any little red dots appear and jet wash off. @Colin170CR Surfex is probably the best APC on the market by the looks of some isolated testing so def a wise choice.
-
Machine Polish Sheffield Area ?
Atom Detailing is Sheffield based. Both approved by International Detailing Association and Professional Valeters and Detailers which are the two industry bodies which means you’re getting quality. They’ve also been around long enough to add a plethora of additional services so should have a menu for pretty much everything you want. https://www.atomdetailing.co.uk/
-
Machine Polish Sheffield Area ?
Hey Nick - let me look at contacts I’ve got and let you know.