Everything posted by travs
-
The Superb III Picture thread
It’s very current in style - Volvo do it at the moment, as does a couple of others I’ve noticed. I like it but definitely good to get rid of the mass of other badges on there!
-
The Superb III Picture thread
I think this is where there’s positive and negative offset I think so getting confused. This is positive offset so bigger number moves in towards the car? Negative offset moves out away from the car? I’ll do more research!
-
Columbus MIB3 Nav Maps Update
Carplay/Waze it is then!
-
Electronics
I think the next thing to look at is one of the wheel speed sensors as they feed the ECU with information about what the wheels are doing (direction and speed; maybe direction as that would affect the cornering light but I would have thought that was steering angle)...in that case, maybe the front ones first
-
The JB4 thread
Racingline reports 400bhp for Stage 1 on Gen4 engine no matter what the original output was. Verified with them as there wasn't the car listed - but if you scroll down to the "Applications" section on the page, but there is now. https://www.racinglinetuning.com/ea888-4-continental-software Can only presume the hardware is all pretty much the same, and so applying the map to all types results in the same output. The Gen3 with the is38 turbo is 365 from Non-GPF engines (ie the original 280) or 350 for GPF engines (ie the 272bhp version). If yours is a late Gen3 then it'll be 272 originally but I'm shocked if yours is 2022 and still has the Gen3 engine; it must have been sitting around in stock for a while unless you're not UK and the facelift trickled down a little later.
-
London Wrap. PPF
If anyone doesn't need the business and if anyone will only be focussed on supercars its Yiannimize.. @mike21sport search for IDA (International Detailing Association) and PVD - Professional Valeters and Detailers association. Anyone signed up to these will take the job seriously. PVD is UK-focussed and focuses on people having sufficient insurance etc - it imposes self-regulation in an un-regulated industry. https://pro-valets.co.uk/ for PVD https://www.detailingnearby.com/ for IDA
-
The JB4 thread
Haven’t done any running/testing; that’s why I always caveat my figures as quoted/theoretical. I will get the car dyno’d at some point but not a priority this year. How do you record your times? That’s some hell of a crossover; mine’s March 2021 and is DNFE engine; gen4, continental turbo, DQ381 7 speed - is that a UK car?
-
Marmite subject.
Realise the sound is external; I just meant other examples of gimmicks. Now that’s annoyingly tempting. Not surprised Milltek are trying to get on it; can see it’s basically a device to genuine create exhaust sound rather than artificially recreate it. Did you fit it yourself? Is it easy to do?
-
The JB4 thread
When it comes to the boxes, RacingLine do one now too. But the additional benefit is that if/when you decide to move to a full remap, you get it free as long as you’ve bought from an official dealer. The boxes can control boost and fuel to match, but there are other elements such as ignition timing and fuel/air ration that they can’t change so that’s what their improvements are limited. I’ve got a 2021 280 so Gen4 engine and DQ381 gearbox. The tune is Stage 1 which gives a quoted 400bhp but with an R600 induction setup with intake hose it should be a little more than that; probably around 420. You have the option of a reduced torque upgrade if you don’t have the dsg remapped but for me it was a no-brainer. The torque pick-up is noticeable from when the boost starts to appear around 2k revs. After that to move to Stage1+ you need an uprated intercooler to around 435, and then a high-flow cat for Stage 2 pushing towards 450 (these are only quoted figures though) so you really start to get a law of diminishing returns. I’ve got updated coil packs on mine although opinion is divided as to their impact - for me I thought they’d at least help to make sure the spark is decent all the way through the rev range. The additional maps are all free with the self-flashing PDM. So there’s all that in the mix - buy a racing line box now, then get to upgrade properly if/when you want to…
-
The JB4 thread
2022 but you’re running a Dq250? Wouldn’t you have the dq381? Wet clutch 7 speed.
-
Error codes
Does this mean you've checked your battery and its ok?
-
Marmite subject.
Initially thought this was a bit of a gimmick like the Renault Clio creating different engine sounds in the cabin or the Turbo Zet...but it actually looks like a serious bit of kit...and thinking about it, we like motorsport engine note sounds, and how they come with performance and the indication of performance. But tbh, if your car is fast enough and you don't want to bother spending a load of money on a replacement exhaust part, then this is a bit of realistic solution...although the price does shifts it close to the replacement back-box territory.
-
The Superb III Picture thread
Loving the look and left field colour! Quickly on this - 10mm lower offset; doesn’t that mean wheel sits closer to the hub, ie further into the wheel arch? They look pretty flush to the wheel arch instead 🤯
-
Columbus MIB3 Nav Maps Update
Mibsolution as v332 for VW, but not Skoda by the looks of it. Interesting on the mib-helper link - will have a look at that later!
-
Skoda warranty conundrum (& quote check)
Thanks Martini - yep I've just found that on the Bilstein website. Project page is great too - thanks! There @hop - the way forward for same price or less
-
DTUK , Racechip, JB4 tuning boxes definitive conclusion
Racingline also do one, and while it isn't as cheap as Racechip, it means that if you want to ditch it and move to a proper remap, its free so there's a definite benefit if you decide to do it properly!
-
Racing Line or H&R Springs?
You're right to question Racingline but keep an open mind; they used to be part of VWUK involved in the motorsport side, which gives them credence. Buuut, there are plenty of suspension specialist companies out there not to snub - H&R, Koni, Bilstein, KW, Ohlins etc. etc. Forums are the best place to get the most adequate reviews - have a look in the model-specific forums too
-
Columbus MIB3 Nav Maps Update
https://mib-helper.com/show.php?all=firmwares#details Scroll down to the MOI3_EU_SK ones and the latest available on there at the moment seems still to be 324. Beggars can't be choosers when its freely available I guess... Oh, I got 330 from https://mibsolution.one/ (sign in is guest for both username and password), but it is insanely slow to respond and there are folders you have to dig around in. Look for a folder called PHEV I think and that has MIB files in.
-
Skoda warranty conundrum (& quote check)
Wait...B4 or B14 Damptronics? I thought it was B6 for normal and B14 for lowered/uprated...don't say there's another option!
-
Windscreen Replacement
Funnily enough I was on the motorway last night and was looking at this and realise I had steering wheel vibration on only 😆 Its actually pretty good now....
-
Skoda warranty conundrum (& quote check)
Otherwise research for a trusted VAG specialist that can access and update service history etc. Save on £per hour charge and you get a sensible approach if it goes above and beyond the workshop manual (I know of cleaning the Haldex gauze but admittedly that's probably not relevant to FWD and I don't know how many other things that fall into the same category).
-
Windscreen Replacement
I think the camera does sign reading and lane assist; for the latter, in which case, judging how mine sticks between the lines, the camera might as well not be there...
-
Trav's 2021 Superb 280 L&K
As BlackFriday was still going on and Paypal credit availability, I thought I'd pick up some uprated coil packs. Stuck with Racingline as I'm impressed with their stuff so far. Was looking to replace the spark plugs a little earlier than the 4year benchmark, but to be honest, the impossibility in trying to find a parts provider that can actually tell the difference between CXJA/DNUA/DNFE is mind-boggling. The only place that seemed to do the Bosch plugs for the DNFE engine was Autodoc and they did...then didn't...have them in stock. So I decided to leave them as they were and research uprated ones in the meantime. I don't think this is going to make more power necessarily, more about making sure there are fewest limitations from the remap. Whether they actually make a difference I'm sure will be 80% psychological but, well its done now. For now - it seems like the next items would be uprated intercooler and fast flow cat - both of which are starting to prove the law of diminishing returns by the looks of prices...
-
DTUK , Racechip, JB4 tuning boxes definitive conclusion
Looking at the way these plug in, they connect to the turbo boost pressure sensor and the fuel rail - so my guess is that they tell the brain to run more boost and to put more fuel in to match. Some engines have plenty of spare potential on the existing hardware so the available increase looks more drastic. As much as they're referred to by some as a box of resistors, I think this is probably a little disingenuous given the technology these days, but that is only my opinion. Going on reviews, they all seem to do well and there are some experienced people working for these companies. Worst case scenario is that a lot of these will do a money back guarantee so look at the ones that you can return it if not happy and try that out perhaps?
-
Skoda superb 2017
Another vote for battery here - not on experience, just on what's come up recently. Cold snap starting to kill off the weaker ones?