Everything posted by CJJE
-
Karoq facelift unveiled November 2021
So improved aerodynamics, virtual cockpit now standard, optional matrix headlights and dynamic indicators (rear only??), and a new orange/gold colour. Looks like full LED rear lights for those who were bothered about the mix of LEDs and filament bulbs in the present Karoq, but at least the driver controls have retained the (safer IMO) buttons and knobs rather than go to touchscreen controls! Lots of pics here: Skoda Karoq (2022) - pictures, information & specs (netcarshow.com) Not coming until the spring, so no details yet of prices presumably. Chris
- SD card alternatives
-
SD card alternatives
Does your new car have USB-C sockets instead? If so I would recommend storing your music files on a small USB-C memory stick instead. One of these: MyMemory 128GB Dual USB-C & USB 3.1 Flash Drive - 200MB/s £22.99 - Free Delivery | MyMemory is small enough to fit under the sliding cover in my Karoq, and has a standard USB port at the other end to plug into a PC. Chris
-
couple of questions
The CrossClimate 2s are being reported as a vast improvement over the older CC+ tyre. And if you don't go off-road, I'd rate them above the CrossClimate SUV tyre. Chris
-
couple of questions
I've always swapped tyres front to rear every 10,000 miles, in line with the recommendations of Skoda and most tyre manufacturers. (The only website I've seen that doesn't recommend this is KwikFit - but they may have their own reasons for this?) The drawback is that when you do need to change tyres you have to splash out for 4 rather than 2, but on the other hand it lets you choose new tyres on all wheels and not either mix them or be stuck with the manufacturer's choice. It's explained here by Goodyear: How To Rotate Your Tyres For Best Wear | Goodyear Tyres When I change from my current Bridgestone Duelers, I'll be wanting to change to which ever all-season tyre looks best, so will definitely want to change all 4. I've had a couple of warning from the satnav about traffic delays in front of me as I approach the red line on the map even when it's not actively navigating, which I haven't seen before this car in the UK. Chris
-
Amundsen volume not adjustable!
If both the main knob and the steering wheel control are being ignored, it sounds like either a head unit problem or a problem in the wires running to it, perhaps being brought on as it warms up. Was it a basic service, or were they working near the unit? (Nowadays many Skodas house the unit behind the glovebox, so the wiring could have been disturbed when they were changing the pollen filter for instance. What model car do you have? Either way I'd be inclined to return to whoever serviced your car and check with them. Chris
-
loading user profile
Yeah... that's what all the previous ones have been, but I couldn't see anything different there either. So just a few bug fixes I suppose. Chris
-
keyfob battery failing with *no* warning
OK... so I ordered 5 Panasonic CR2025s from RS Components, which arrived the next day. On testing them, they were reading 3.1 volts, while my new Duracells were only 2.8 and 2.9 (very close to the year-old Panasonics I'd removed after a year's use!) Hopefully this will keep the car happy for another year!! Chris
-
keyfob battery failing with *no* warning
I bought the Duracells at Boots, all with a decent life left, so would hope they're not pirated ones! I've been looking for Panasonics today since that's what came out of the keys, but the only ones I've seen are short-lifed ones in Amazon. Chris
-
loading user profile
Well OK, I've now seen this message for the first time today. While driving home from the shops I got a 'Software Update' message which I ignored as it wouldn't update while I was driving. Then I got the dreaded 'SOS Error' message and lost the internet connection (no green light). The radio and map in the virtual cockpit were still fine though. When I got home, I turned the ignition off and then on again. Infotainment system was now dead while it tried to load my user profile. No green light, and still the SOS Error message. After leaving it for an hour, reset the Amundsen infotainment system by holding down the power button for 10 seconds. Came back to life after a delay, user profile now loaded, radio and nav maps now working and SOS Error message cleared. The notification screen said I had a software update waiting, but when I pressed Update, I was told the software was up to date! My car's already booked in to have its steering wheel changed to 'cure' the messages about the Travel Assist, Lane Assist and Dynamic Road Signs not being available, so I'll add this to the list for them! Life was simpler BEFORE we had online cars wasn't it! Almost makes me want to go back to the 60s with SU carburettors, 5,000 mile services, and dodgy Lucas electrics Chris
-
keyfob battery failing with *no* warning
Knowing the problems owners have been having with KESSY keys, I replaced the batteries in my 3 keys on the car's first birthday, (Panasonics out and Duracell in). All 3 Panasonics were showing low on my battery tester while the new Duracells were fine. But today, I got a warning message from the car telling me to change the key battery! Do I need to hunt down some Panasonic 2025s?? Chris
-
phone/usb sliding cover
Is there a plastic protective film on the sliding cover? I can't remember if mine came with one or not, but if there is perhaps that is marked? Chris
-
Tyre cracks
The Cross Climate+ has of course been replaced by the Cross Climate 2 now (which is reviewed as being much better) but I don't know off-hand if this has rim protection too. If it has, it'd be my preferred replacement on the basis that the Cross Climate SUV has better off-road ability but less road ability. Chris
-
Tyre cracks
From Honest John: If you want summer tyres - we hear the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are very good for alloy protection. For all-season tyres, the Michelin Cross Climate + also offer this protection. If you find tyres you like and want to know if they offer any kind of allow protection, look out for these symbols (which are used across a range of manufacturers): - RFP (Rim Fringe Protector) - FP (Fringe Protector) - MFS (Maximum Flange Shield) - FR (Felgen Ripen) - FSL (Felgenschutzleiste) - ML (Mit Leiste) Chris
-
Tyre cracks
I've heard of tyres suffering from sunlight (and heat?) if left exposed, but thought that applied to the sidewalls rather than the tread. (I think this was probably in the context of caravan tyres.) I guess the danger is if the treads should start delaminating at speed. Chris
-
1st service, variable servicing, what to do?
The Skoda fixed price servicing chart does indeed only start after 3 years. But my first service a few weeks ago was the Oil & Inspection service and performed for £185 with a free courtesy car thrown in. I was on the fixed time regime, but I think the variable regime also just has an oil change as the first service. It includes: • Oil & filter change (premium synthetic oil) • Full car road test – which includes checking steering operation, clutch and braking operation, engine performance, suspension noise and driving controls • Inspection of all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, drive belts, suspension, steering, fuel lines, brake pads/shoes/discs, hoses, wash/wipe system, exhaust system, engine components, fluid levels and tyres • Diagnostic check and visual health check including reports • Wash and vacuum Chris
-
Music from USB stick.
One possible work around is to save artists, albums, genres etc as favourites and then you can always jump to a particular section without the music files starting at the first one every time? Chris
-
DSG box reliability
I bought the factory 5 year warranty with my Karoq purely as insurance against any expensive faults in the DSG/Haldex system. But I drove a Golf Plus TDI DSG for 3 years, and then a Golf SV TSI DSG for 6+ years, both without any problems whatsoever. The extra warranty gives you peace of mind, and the value of it depends on how you value that:) Chris
-
JD DRIVER POWER 2021 & KAROQ
I've reported my experiences with my previous Golf SV and my Karoq, and my only complaint about my Karoq has been about the occasional software problems. But as it was in my first year I couldn't comment on its servicing at that time! Chris
-
Battery saving message
I can understand your concern... but as I don't drive that often at night nowadays, I haven't experienced the same situation. I know that if the Stop/Start is activated, the engine will restart if the battery voltage drops too much, and will do that in daytime if the aircon is running for instance. So presumably your car was seeing the battery voltage dropping because the alternator at tick over wasn't generating enough power to match the load of the headlights, radio, heater etc. Perhaps you were using more accessories such as heater, heated seats/windscreens etc than you were in the summer? Otherwise I suppose it may be an early warning that your battery is holding a charge as well as it used to?? Chris
-
Battery saving message
I think I've seen this when I returned home at night and was sitting on the drive with my headlights on (Auto setting), the engine still ticking over and the gearbox in Park. In my case the headlights were turned off for me! Chris
-
Servicing for Skoda
The car comes from the factory set to variable servicing, but can be set to fixed term servicing instead by the dealer at its PDI, or indeed any later service. Variable servicing is generally reckoned to suit drivers doing lots of long journeys on motorways, but I prefer fixed term servicing as I was only doing around 10,000 miles a year (pre-pandemic) and very much less now. When my Octavia was set to variable servicing many years ago, I found it irritating that oil changes etc were only required every 18 months or so, but other items like brake fluid changes and MOTs were still required at fixed intervals. The variable servicing intervals are determined by software that measures the demands being placed on the engine, and hence the likely degradation of the oil. And lots of short journeys, where the engine cools down each time before being restarted are bad for engines! (It used to be said that cars used by doctors or practice nurses were bad news because they spent their life making such journeys!) Chris
-
Servicing for Skoda
The car will give you about a month's warning before it needs its first service. So if your car is set for fixed term servicing you should be getting the message about now! If it is set for variable servicing them it can be up to 18 months or so from its delivery checks. But if you look in the MySkoda app, the Vehicle Status page will tell you the mileage range and time left before your Oli Change service. The Skoda Approved price for the first Oli Change service is £185. Chris
-
Travel assist steering wheel sensor faulty
My dealer has phoned to say they have received the replacement controller (apparently fitted inside the steering wheel if I understood them correctly). Car booked in to have it changed under warranty on November 29th/30th (delay due to the need to provide me with a courtesy car for 2 days). Chris
-
Travel assist steering wheel sensor faulty
It does seem the standard response by VW and Skoda to these faults, but I was also told that the fault might also be in the 'controller'. Presumably the steering wheel is easier to replace first? Although they will still want my car for a day and half when they get one in stock! (I'll need to check with them that they've ordered a heated steering as I'm finding that very useful... I'm not as worried about the DSG paddles as I don't use them Chris