Everything posted by CJJE
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
No, I've not had to get my identity validated at a dealers to receive map and software updates. In fact when I bought the car I wanted the sales manager to do that, but he insisted it wasn't necessary! But all I seem to be missing is the ability to lock or unlock the car remotely, so I haven't bothered going back to him. Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Cars are now virtually computers on wheels, so have a lot of software that needs regular updates. If you had a built-in satnav in your Fabia or Superb, then the maps would get out of date and not show changed or new roads unless you updated it. But if you use the maps on your phone instead, then obviously that would be using its own updated maps instead. Have fun Chris
-
MY21 eSIM, Internet and Skoda-connect remote access
No you should be able to register for Skoda Connect without a dealer visit - I think! As far as I am aware, you only need to get your identity validated at the dealer's to activate the extra features in the Skoda Connect app like locking and unlocking the car remotely (via the app rather than the KESSY key.) Chris
-
MY21 eSIM, Internet and Skoda-connect remote access
Because the auto downloads via the internet only update roads in your immediate locality, with a recent suggestion that if you're driving 60+ miles from your home it will look for any updates centred on your new position. And this also requires you to subscribe to Skoda Connect every year! So being able to download a complete update via the USB-C socket for years to come would be a lot cheaper if you don't need the other Skoda Connect services. Before covid, I used to holiday in Europe each summer, and to take an example, when I drove through the Netherlands and Germany to holiday in Austria, I used to download the most recent European maps for the whole journey. Using the auto update via the Internet would presumably mean that the planned route would be getting updates time and time again. (I've asked if planning the entire rout in the car before I left would trigger a complete update of the map data along the route, but Skoda UK customer support couldn't provide with a confident yes or no.) As to where the info came from, there's a long thread on the Karoq forum (presumably where you found your quote?) which covers updating maps in MY21 (MIB3) systems, and I seem to remember the info on updating via USB-C came from Skoda UK Technical Support. Chris
-
Automatic gearbox issues
Not experienced this behaviour myself, but the sudden change down and hard acceleration sounds like you activated the 'kick-down' mode. If you have the drive mode option, were you in Eco mode perhaps? And since yours is a 2019 car, perhaps it was set to Eco mode when it was serviced? (As owners of newer cars know only too well, the drive mode resets to the default mode each time you turn on the ignition, whereas older VW cars would stay in whichever drive mode you used last. Not sure if this is still true for 2019 cars though.)
-
Headlamps fogging up
I think you'll find that glass headlights were replaced by high-impact plastic headlights many year ago to avoid stones cracking them. When I had glass ones, I used to attach plastic shields over them to over breakages! And the move from halogen or xenon bulbs to LEDs was driven by their increased reliability and lower power needs - the latter being part of the drive for reduced fuel consumption and CO2 emissions where many tiny improvements combine to make a significant improvement.
-
Karoq headlamp fogging from inside.
LED headlights don't heat up like halogen bulbs, so it seems more prevalent. Would a hair dryer on the outside of the lens help I wonder?
-
Electric tailgate
I think it's something that grows on you. This the first car I've had with one, and it can take an age to open when you're waiting to juts pop something in the boot... but it can be very handy to open from it from the driver's seat when it's raining and you wife has a trolley-load of shopping
-
What is this wire for?
Yeh... sorry I was confusing your post with Kenny R's.
-
What is this wire for?
If your car is a Candy White, then the paint code should be F9E / 9P9P.
-
Traffic sign recognition not working
When I start my car in the morning it can take a few minutes for the car to pick up the GPS signal for the satnav. Depending where you park, yours could be the same?
-
What is this wire for?
It could be for the sensor that would detect your foot waving around under the bumper if you had added that boot opening option?
-
How to remove the QI “Aircharge Box” from the mobile phone tray.
Have you checked the fuses? On my MY21 car, fuse 16 guards the USB ports, diagnostic connector and phone box, but it will probably be a different one on your car. But if you look in the manual to see if any other functions are linked to the same fuse and then check whether they are faulty too, I'd try replacing that fuse?? Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Ahh.. ok, So that is an update to what I was told months ago, that it looks for an update when you drive to a new country. As my trips to France have been cancelled for the last two years, I haven't needed to worry about updated French maps, but the best of luck if you're still able to get away! My son was able to visit his second home in France last month, and said Eurotunnel was very quiet, and that he had no problems at the borders either end. Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Thanks for the update, but that sounds counter-intuitive to me! Why should I get map updates for roads a hundred miles from me, and not the owners actually living there! And when I enter my VIN (for a MY21 Amundsen system) in the Skoda Update portal it still talks about downloading the ECE 2020/21 file (valid since CW whenever that is) onto a 25GB SD card. As my navigation database has certainly been updated (according to the changed version numbers), and I haven't been more than 50 miles from my home since covid lockdowns started, I'm not sure that I believe what you've been told - unless anyone else can confirm it?? Chris
-
Karoq electric boot door stopped opening fully & closing
There're a couple of possible causes mentioned in this thread: Electric tailgate doesn't work - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA Chris
-
Stop/Start and Drive Mode selection
The different driving modes may well affect the sensitivity of the stop/start system... I'm pretty sure I've read that the Eco setting makes the stop/start system engage more often. But as I don't disable it I can't comment on whether changing the drive mode does reset it. I normally have mine set to its Individual mode so that I can have the Eco settings with the DCC Comfort settings. Chris
-
Flexible Servicing
The whole point of the flexible service regime in my opinion is that you only get the car serviced when it has determined it needs one. (You can see how many miles are left before its due, or the time left, on the infosystem menu.) The length will vary depending on whether you make lots of short trips, or lots of long motorway journeys. I had an Octavia on that setting many years ago, when I was driving many more miles each year, and only needed an oil change etc every 18 months or so. But this then conflicted with the need for MOT's, brake fluid changes, etc which were still required on a fixed interval basis. But I agree that it's difficult to find out what the costs are as the Skoda UK website only talks about fixed servicing costs! The VW website explains the differences at Service schedules | Volkswagen UK but only implies that you get the same work done when it's serviced! Chris
-
Flexible Servicing
I'm confused... if your car was set to the flexible service regime, then there was no need for a 1 year inspection service. The car would have been quite happy waiting for it to determine that it needed a service at any time up to 2 years or 18,000 miles (depending on how it had been driven during that time. But if you felt you wanted a 1 year inspection service, you should have asked the dealer to reset the be on the fixed service regime instead of the flexible one. In any case, I've just looked on the Skoda UK website, and the Online Service Plans (service-plans.io) page doesn't mention any restrictions on which service regime the car is on. It just offers 2 services 1 Oil Service/Change and 1 Oil & Inspection, with no requirement for them to be used within any particular timespan. It does say there's a 20% discount for the month of July too. Chris
-
Tyre storage
Just a bit south of there - in Stone. I'll take some measurements and some photos of it tomorrow if you'd like.
-
Tyre storage
I've got a tyre tree with tyre covers going free if you're in my area? I bought it some years ago to store my winter tyres on, but later switched to using all-season tyres rather than swapping them every 6 months. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig out some details of it. I think it may be a Westfalia one. Chris
-
Columbus Infotainment System in my Karoq Edition 2021 1.5 Tsi DSG
As discussed here?? Amundsen DAB Presets - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA
-
Skoda Owner's Manuals
I agree tonks. Up to a few months ago you could download manuals from the Skoda website in whatever language and production period that you wanted. But when they revamped the website it turned into the 'digital' version that I find far more difficult to read through. It seems to have been designed for owners who wouldn't dream of reading the entire manual to learn about their cars, but just want to dip in to solve a problem. Apparently showrooms are now going the same way with digital screens to show off the cars rather than a car you can actually touch and sit in. Brochures have already gone that way of course. (And Audi stopped providing price lists some time back. Presumably if you can afford an Audi you'll just accept whatever options the salesman will sell you instead of being able to pick and choose from a price list!) Chris
-
Skoda Owner's Manuals
The download site gives you the November 2020 version of the manual - so suitable for most cars since that date. (Skoda's website gives you the option of reading a June 2021 issue, but I don't know how much changed then.) I do wonder if the website has been given permission or been licenced to publish these manuals. If they are breaching copyright it might get closed down soon!
-
Contacts preset on telephone set up for infotainment system.
I'm not sure which infotainment system you have, but according to the owners manual for the Amundsen system in a 2019/7 Karoq: To delete, tap on Telephone, User profile, Manage favourites in the main menu. To delete one preset, tap on the list entry and confirm the deletion. or to delete all presets, tap on Delete All and confirm the deletion. If that's not the right info for your car, you can go to ŠKODA Owner's Manuals (skoda-auto.com) and enter your VIN to see a digital handbook for your car. (The paper manual with your car may well not provide any details about operating the infotainment system - mine certainly didn't!) Chris