Everything posted by CJJE
-
4 Wheel drive
You might find these articles interesting as well. ŠKODA 4×4: Your Best Bet in the Snow - ŠKODA Storyboard (skoda-storyboard.com) My understanding is that the rear wheels are only driven when the front ones lose traction, but even in last winter's snow I never detected mine being engaged. The car just drove over the snow and ice with no fuss whatsoever. Chris PS: According to this video: History of the Haldex AWD System - YouTube the Gen 1 Haldex fed 10% to 50% drive to the rear wheels as required. The Gen 2 fed 5% to 50%, and from the Gen 3 on it was 0% to 50%. So your salesman was a bit out of date Chris
-
Eco Mode
Yes so the real fuel economy gains will be down to restricting the acceleration, using higher gears (for DSGs) and restricting the power consumed by the air-con. Although I do find coasting very smooth and quieter Chris
-
Headlight on light
Exactly. Their making your car more visible to approaching traffic when hidden in deep shade! Chris
-
Eco Mode
Yes mine does that too (as did my previous Golf SV). And it also restricts your acceleration as an economy measure too. I've seen arguments that coasting down hills is no more efficient that letting the engine control the speed as when coasting the engine uses fuel to keep it ricking over, while when the engine is controlling the speed it is not injecting any fuel, but have never been able to prove it with consumption measurements either way. Chris
-
Bosch AeroTwins
The front wipers is the Bosch Aerotwin pack A864S (18"/45cm & 26"/65cm) or Aerotwin Plus (AP26U & A{P18U). I've just replaced my front ones with the A864S pack as after being fine for 6 monts ther originals suddenly started juddering. The new ones are fine. The rear wiper is a Bosch A331H (13"/33cm). Chris
-
Headlight on light
It's standard VW/SEAT/Skoda/Audi I'm afraid. If you have a satnav system you can set the map to change to night-time mode (ie dark) when the lights are on, and that makes it very obvious when the lights are on (either because the Auto setting has turned them on, or because you have turned the rotary switch. After driving VWs or Skodas for 22 years I'm used to it now! Chris
- New Karoq Query
- Order query.
-
New Karoq Query
When I licked mine up last November I only got the owners manual. But you can find details of the Skoda Roadside Assist scheme at Roadside Assistance | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk). I also found it well worthwhile downloading the owners manual from ŠKODA Owner's Manuals (skoda-auto.com) as my paper copy had very little to say about using the infotainment system while the downloaded copy had a lot more (even if it was difficult to understand and apply!). I didn't get any Skoda goodies with my car, but I can't complain too much as I had agreed a price for a MY20, and revised its spec when the MY21 details were announced, but my dealer didn't increase the price. Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
This thread is devoted to the MY21 systems (MIB3s) so you are more likely to get a reply in Amundsen MIB1 Map Update 2020-2021 - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA. MIB1 systems could be updated by downloading a large zipped file from the Skoda UK Update portal, and either overwriting the data on the SD card for Amundsen systems. or transferring the data from an SD card to the hard drive in a Columbus. But as the MIB1 systems are now pretty old you may find that updates are no longer being offered. I believe some owners have used VW files successfully, but please read the MIB1 thread linked to above for more details. Chris
- Škoda Karoq 2021 FL/Refresh
-
Škoda Karoq 2021 FL/Refresh
We have warning stripes painted over the road surface on the approach to one particular roundabout near me, which are designed to give loud thumps to a car as it drives over them. The Dynamic Chassis Control doesn't do much to filter these thumps out regardless of its settings so I have to assume that it is not that effective in absorbing sudden bumps. (It is part of my test route for new cars, and the Karoq is still better than most at dealing with them!) But it does seem to affect the way the car recovers after a sudden jolt. For an isolated pothole, I can feel the car oscillating more afterwards when using the Comfort setting. And when driving along, it seems to float more in Comfort, and react more aggressively in Sport. I used to drive Citroens for many years and loved their hydraulic suspension, which had the same sense of letting the car body float along while the wheels patter up and down over the bumps. I haven't noticed the Front Assist activating at all (I have it set to its normal sensitivity) despite being aware of the reports and watching out for it. My daughter's Passat has braked suddenly when it was passing a lamp post, and my previous Golf SV used to brake occasionally when overtaking lorries on cruise control (but I could never determine if it was the size of the lorry or its proximity that made it nervous.) However I have avoided nasty collisions in both my Golf SV and Karoq when another vehicle suddenly appeared behind me when I was reversing out of a parking space. Chris
-
Order query.
Sorry Dalston, I have no details about how many cars they carry on the Weser Highway, And the cars are moved to a compound beside the docks waiting for a dealer to arrange a car transporter to come and pick his cars. So your dealer should be able to tell you if he's been told your car is now in the UK, and when he will be getting it shipped to him. Then he has to do his pre-delivery checks before you can collect it. Chris
-
Headlight right hand drive message
And today, after a precautionary wipe over a clean windscreen all was fine again. Seems cars need to be rebooted now just like computers! Chris
- Škoda Karoq 2021 FL/Refresh
-
Order query.
According to www.marinetraffic.com the Weser Highway is en-route for Grimsby at present, while the other ships I have seen VAG use between Emden and Grimsby/Immingham have been reassigned to other routes. So your car will either be on the Weser Highway or waiting for it to return in a few days time! (The other ships are Main Highway and Neckar Highway, with City of Rotterdam carrying cars from Emden to Sheerness for the south of the UK.) Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
I also had this today - mine was a system update "To cure minor errors and apps" not a map update. So I parked up and installed it. Came back to the car and started the engine to be told "Travel Assist not available" "Lane Assist not available" and "Dynamic Road Signs not available"! According to the manual I need to make sure the windscreen is clean over the sensor, and stop then restart the engine to clear the fault. But the windscreen was clean (it had been showery and my new Bosch wipers were working well) and a quick restart when I got home produced the same warnings. So if the fault is still there tomorrow it sounds like the system update was at fault!! Chris
-
New member in Fife.
Water coming from the exhaust is common when the exhaust system is cold and water vapour condenses, but seems unusual when it's hot. And the rattle could be a loose baffle in the silencer if there are no obvious ways the exhaust system could be knocking against something. Does it rattle when you are stationary or just when you're driving?? Chris
-
Škoda Karoq 2021 FL/Refresh
Well I've got the Dynamic Chassis Control on my Sportline (which has 19 inch wheels with 225/45 R19 tyres) and I can definitely feel the difference between Comfort mode, Normal mode and Sport mode. I set it to Comfort mode and can feel it 'floating' more. What journalists tend to forget is that it's DYNAMIC so it adjusts the suspension as you corner as well as just adjusting how the shock absorbers react to bumps. Chris
-
Headlight right hand drive message
More software glitches?? While driving to the shops today I received a message telling me there was a system update available to cure minor errors. So when I parked I installed it by pressing the Update button. When I returned and started the engine I was told "Travel Assist Not Available", "Lane Assist Not Available" and "Dynamic Road Signs Not Available"! The windscreen was clean (it had been showery and the new Bosch wipers were doing an excellent job). A quick engine off and restart when I got home gave me the travel assist and lane assist not available messages again. Wonder if it will have reset itself overnight?? Chris
-
Headlight right hand drive message
In my case the change occurred without any SOS error or loss of GPS signal that I detected. I put it down to a momentary glitch in the software - a bit like the occasional glitch in my old Golf SV where once a year or so the car would feel homesick and the satnav would tell me I was in Wolfsburg!! Chris
-
SOS Error Message
I understand the basic software design of all VAG cars is a central resource, with only cosmetic features differing between the brands. However it does seem that some features are only rolled out to particular models or brands to ensure that there are marketing distinctions between them. For instance until MY21 the 360 degree camera option was restricted to Skoda Kodiaqs and SEAT Atecas, and not offered as an option for the Karoq. And also, although heated windscreens are widely available on Skodas and VW, they are not offered on Audis! Chris
-
SOS Error Message
This has been an EU requirement for new cars since 2018: eCall in all new cars from April 2018 | Shaping Europe’s digital future (europa.eu) Although I've also seen that the UK government objected to it so we might find it becoming optional new like warning triangles and first aid kits! Chris
-
Headlight right hand drive message
"Driving on the right hand side of the road"! Chris
-
SOS Error Message
I've emailed them to mention some of the other problems we're experiencing and referred them to our forum. Feel free to email [email protected]! Chris