Dealers + New Superb = Not a clue??

I hate the names too... Zafira, Antara (have you seen one of those turds on wheels? I was behind one the other day and I had to overtake it as looking at the back of it was making me feel ill), Meriva. Dire, dire, dire! I hate those two fat square faced kids off the adverts too. And that slogan - 'Clever family cars from Vauxhall'. 's***y w**k cars from Vauxhall' more like.

Couldn't agree more, and this new one is named after a naff 80's mens toiletries range I believe:rofl:

'Insignia, One Godawful Smell' I think the advertising jingle was, or words to that effect.:D

Don't want another vauxhall Had so much trouble with them and our local dealer over the years

I guess it could just be bad luck - I NEVER had any problem with ANY Vauxhaull, Renault or Citroen. But my Superb - God, dont start me off - and as for the dealers - they dont know it yet, but after getting my car back from them with more bodged work and them having broken switchgear, broken the ashtray, scratched the gear knob and screwed the dashboard (10 visits and 2 years), but they are being investigated by trading standards and Im taking action against them for breach of contract and criminal damage. Most people I know with Skodas think thet stink.

Couldn't agree more, and this new one is named after a naff 80's mens toiletries range I believe:rofl:

'Insignia, One Godawful Smell' I think the advertising jingle was, or words to that effect.:D

That's a really poor reply mate, I don't gig the name either, I would've liked them to have retro named it as a Magnum, but then ppl would say...oh it's an ice cream etc :rolleyes: this new car I believe is something to do with the guy that left Audi to join VX a few years ago, I can't quote his name cos i don't know it, anyway if you look there are BMW/Audi/Toyota influences there, the car's wheelbase is the same as the Signum's was so it's going to be more of an Omega than a Vectra, inside it looks modern and sharp, and anyone who says it doesn't will just be saying it for effect.

If you look at the reply from Chris below yours you will see he's not happy, I can back him up with this because I've seen and driven his car, his dashboard looks like a thief got disturbed halfway through the way the trim and heater unit has been sloppily put back in squewiff, he has a droning noise from the N/S front wheel, Skoda replaced a driveshaft rather than the wheel bearing :confused: and to add a bit more I was told of a customer who in January bought an Octavia that is now requiring it's 3rd DSG and is about to be rejected as the guy is fed up with bit's falling off of it, without wishing to let you think I don't like the Superb because I do, I've never had a VX dealer let me walk without curing my cars before, also they don't try to blame service and perishables for other faults, my Aux belt squeal, I ring up and say the alternator pulley is squealing, cos it is, and I get .... are you sure it isn't the belt, also I don't take my car to a VX dealer for a new part that is stated on the jobcard and have to lose the car for 5 hours for a 30 minute job (yes 5 hours it was on the ramp for an EGR valve) obviously the fact I had to take it back and be lied to again with some bull about we'll replace something else this time to cure it shows they tried to clean it even though the fault was a split rubber in it, and low and behold jobcard number 2 stated ...replace EGR valve, and I had the car back in a hour that time, so either the mechanic was dishonest or the garage was, take your pick, I've had the car a yr now so it no longer has to go anywhere near the Dewskoda the master butcher's anymore and although I do like the car, it does rather feel like being on the Titanic tbh.

inside it looks modern and sharp, and anyone who says it doesn't will just be saying it for effect.

Sorry to be drawn and hijack this thread further, but, and I'm not saying this for effect... The insignia interior, to me at least, looks rubbish. Just look at that mess of buttons on and around the (presumably blaupunkt) radio. Look how cheap and nasty the vents look. You just know how tacky that centre display for the radio is going to look when it's illuminated. Those wood effect bits look about as good as the wood effect bits on the old superb.

You just know how flimsy that glove box lid is going to feel, how naff the switch gear will feel, how the coarse and rough the stiching on the leather steering wheel will feel. I fully accept that of course I haven't sat in one of these things, but I don't need to, I know what to expect from Vauxhaull, they don't change. They do things on the cheap. I know exacty how horrible the lid on that centre arm rest is going to feel to open and close. They just don't put any effort into such things. They make cheap "white goods" type cars for people who couldn't care less about cars.

Sorry to be drawn and hijack this thread further, but, and I'm not saying this for effect... The insignia interior, to me at least, looks rubbish. Just look at that mess of buttons on and around the (presumably blaupunkt) radio. Look how cheap and nasty the vents look. You just know how tacky that centre display for the radio is going to look when it's illuminated. Those wood effect bits look about as good as the wood effect bits on the old superb.

You just know how flimsy that glove box lid is going to feel, how naff the switch gear will feel, how the coarse and rough the stiching on the leather steering wheel will feel. I fully accept that of course I haven't sat in one of these things, but I don't need to, I know what to expect from Vauxhaull, they don't change. They do things on the cheap. I know exacty how horrible the lid on that centre arm rest is going to feel to open and close. They just don't put any effort into such things. They make cheap "white goods" type cars for people who couldn't care less about cars.

Well I don't agree at all, take a ride in an Omega sometime, understand it's a dated car now though, I owned one in 1998 a 2.5 CDX Auto, and I used to pick ppl up in it who owned Merc's and BMW company cars, and they would say how much they wanted an Omega but the boss wouldn't allow it because of badge prestige, since then there has been some cost cutting and some of the stuff hasn't been top quality and given the choice of my Superb or a Vectra C I would prefer the Superb if I'm honest having owned both, the new car I feel will be better fitted out, but you have to understand the Vectra is aimed square at the guy who does 600 miles a week rep'ing the Superb is more of a private owners car with limited numbers registered, I could show you a 55 plate Octavia that has the drivers arm print in the door card complete with wrinkled up plastic, if your not a VX man fair enough, but as a former owner of 7 of them all taxis I can assure you they are a mile above where you place them.

I have given back to my employer today a fully expensed astra and gone for the case option and bought an 03 pllatre superb. The reason?

I need comfort for the amount fo miles I drive (due to an old back injury) and the astra has made my bacl prob 100 times worse. I was having to drop painkillers like sweets before, during and after a long journey.

Why anyone would choose to own one is beyond me. It's the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven - and I had a skoda 135i back in the day!!

I have given back to my employer today a fully expensed astra and gone for the case option and bought an 03 pllatre superb. The reason?

I need comfort for the amount fo miles I drive (due to an old back injury) and the astra has made my bacl prob 100 times worse. I was having to drop painkillers like sweets before, during and after a long journey.

Why anyone would choose to own one is beyond me. It's the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven - and I had a skoda 135i back in the day!!

Yep, I agree, some of the VX seats are like sitting on two pieces of plyboard.

Just went shopping in sainsburys with other half and whilst I was in there I had a look through the latest "Wich" car report. Interesting that Skoda scored 5 starrs (max) onall three areas, Cust Serv, sales and service. vauxhall scored one star on each and mercs scored 3 stars on each. Interestingly VW scored one star on each also. Did not have chance to read the exact formula for results and I certainly wasn't going to buy it - I know I'm a Tight A**e!!

Just went shopping in sainsburys with other half and whilst I was in there I had a look through the latest "Wich" car report. Interesting that Skoda scored 5 starrs (max) onall three areas, Cust Serv, sales and service. vauxhall scored one star on each and mercs scored 3 stars on each. Interestingly VW scored one star on each also. Did not have chance to read the exact formula for results and I certainly wasn't going to buy it - I know I'm a Tight A**e!!

Ahh Which magazine reports, bit like saying...right chaps wanna good report getcha wallet out really, best place to find out is a site like this in the threads, because if you could find a Which report on the Superb from 4 yrs ago I bet there'd be no mention of flooding in the footwell or that unit for unit Ford and VX sell 10X what Skoda do.

I'm gonna leave it at I like my car, I don't like the dealers or SUK, and all the time it runs good I'll be quite happy with it, if I plus and minus it against a similar Vectra here's what I find

Comfort - Skoda

MPG - Skoda

Tyres - VX

Dealer - VX

Ride - Skoda

Handling - VX

Steering - VX

Parts - Draw thx to GSF pricing and service

Safety - VX I don't think the Skoda will take a hit like the Vectra did tbh

Space - Skoda

Reliable - Draw again as the Skoda isn't any more breakable than the VX

Boot - VX

Touches - Skoda, some neat stuff, illuminations and dash tray

Overall - Skoda purely cos I'm 6ft+ and I fit better in one

Roll on January for the new kids to trade hubcaps. :D

Anyone who is considering starting at post 1 and actually reading through to the end really shouldn't bother.

Most off topic thread ever.

Please make a new thread "why Vauxhalls are shite"

Most off topic thread ever.

Please make a new thread "why Vauxhalls are shite"

You'll have to better than that to provoke me, and the fact you wrote what you wrote shows you know nothing about them because they way better than a Flawed and certain other marques, and anyway, so the thread deviated, doesn't that happen most of the time on forums, makes things more interesting imo, anyway, flame off son :rofl:

We have very little VX taxis left in my town due to "unreliability" but i would now say that 80% are Skoda(nearly all Octy,s not Surperbs).

The reason for that is that Cabs Direct shoot them out for button's, you can get an old style Octavia for around 9k iirc brand new, and the new ones are 11k otr, as for the VX unreliability thank Fiat for that because most of the faults are CDTi engined ones and the dual mass flywheels and dpf's which VX are not alone with this, or put another way...we have only two Pug 407's in our fleet, both have had umpteen turbo's since 2004, which when you consider how dominant Pug's were 15 yrs ago says something, also Skoda is a new thing to the cab market really, a few early adopter's 2000-20? will tell you they weren't as perfect as the grail likes to tell, the rest like me will make their own minds up during ownership, and right now I won't buy another due to the dealer network.

Yep agree totally.

We have a few Toyota Avensis which are awful as they are UK built.Its strange but the Astra DTi are still around but the CDTi terminate quickly.

Still got some old "Y" reg SDi Octy,s around which are outliving the TDI,s but i suspect its down to multiple drivers who drive them are killing them quicker.

I did not know that VX also have DMF issues as well.Some owner/drivers here won,t use the Superb as they say they are too good for the job as reagrding equipment and luxury especially being used as a Hackney carriage.My Mk1 TDi was very cheap from the Taxi centre 2 years ago as you say but had multiple problems even after just 44K miles so i upgraded to a MK2 TDi but yet to see how it will cope.

I am soon choosing a new company car and I'm considering coming back to the fold for what would be my 3rd Skoda (previously had a 130PD comfort Superb and a petrol mark 2 Octavia vRS)I e mailed customer services in late May regarding the date from which I could order the new car, this is the response I received;

Dear Mr Morris

Thank you for your email and for your interest shown in the new Superb.

I am pleased to confirm the release date is 18th September 2008, however the date when retailers are able to accept orders has yet to be finalised.

Please visit our website at Škoda for updates. Alternatively you may register your interest with your local retailer, detailed below for your convenience:

Brooklyn Skoda

Hillmorton Road

Rugby

Telephone 01788 536099

Brooklyn Skoda is holding a Superb preview day on 25th July 2008.

Kind regards

Paul Sinclair

SkodaAuto UK Customer Services

08457 745745

Surely the date on which they will accept orders should be a priority?

With regards to dealers knowing their stuff, as a sweeping statement I find most of them the same, they often have no interest in the cars they are selling and seem to know very little regarding spec/info on the car.

Now if they did what I did and whiled away hours on the khazi reading car brochures their knowledge would show a dramatic improvement.

Dan

I think a lot of dealers like a salesperson who knows nowt about their product so they can't say to the punter .... yeah but we've had a lot of em back for this and that, and believe it or not that does happen, or, the salesman in this case was using domination tactics, this is where you let the customer "think" he's smarter than you, this way the punter believes he's in charge when infact it's the salesman working the strings.

I think it's very difficult for the sales staff during new car introductions, especially if the new car is announced a long time before it will actually be available.

I've got copies of the current Skoda dealer training materials, and there really isn't much solid detail in there. It's enough to give the customer a good overview, but can't answer any detailed questions.

e.g.

It mentions the new Bolero and Columbus units, but doesn't give any details about iPod preparation or whether the 10 speaker 'premium' setup will be available. Similarly, there is a good overview of the new 7-speed DSG, but no mention of whether 'flappy paddles' will be available.

Another good example of poor training materials is the stuff on Park Assist. The Skoda training seems to indicate that the system only works when parking in a space on the passenger side of the car. This is totally untrue, as you can use the indicators to tell the system which side it should look for a space on.

In addition, I've been able to get a lot of information from the Skoda Press Office, a lot of which the dealers seem to be unaware of.

I get the feeling that Skoda have spent more time trying to convince the press about the car, than they have the dealers. I'm sure this will change as we get closer to launch, but it's a shame nevertheless.

As for actually ordering a car, then I'm told that production of right hand drive cars won't start until the 3rd week in August (after the factory has it's two week break). In theory, most of the initial batch of cars will be dealer demonstrators, for delivery by the launch date (18th September). I'm hoping that I will also be able to get my car on that date, but I'm not confident at the moment.

From what I hear, the prices of the options have now been finalised, and should be available sometime next week. This is the final piece of the puzzle, and should then allow dealers to place orders.

Bagpuss.

Thanks for the info Bagpuss, those dates would fit in pretty well with my schedule...it looks like I may also have the honour of being one of the first out and about in a brand new model car.....That is if I plump for the Superb, there is just so much good choice out there in this class at the moment eg Mazda 6, Citroen C5, Honda Accord etc

Dan

I find that enthusiast are better salesman than the Skoda salesman most of the time. Things we know about the car seems to be more than them.

You'd think that they'd worked out that it's in their interest to be expert in this area as they'd sell more...that's why the last 2 cars I've bought new (sorry, 3 including the wife's Touran) have been internet purchases.

Only use the dealers for test drives and manufacturer's warranty/service history.

Otherwise DYOR.