Is Diesel Dead

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keyboard warriors FTW...

You invited it Decron. You seem to think your above many people on here.

If thats the impression you get then I am sorry you see it that way. If thats the way it came across then thats that. I am not going to change it.

Again, I am not really in a position to care either way but if it must be said...

If thats the impression you get then I am sorry you see it that way.

Again, I am not really in a position to care either way but if it must be said...

Just chill it a bit...

I like other new posters when i first started posting got a little wound up with comments such like, but it's the internet at the end of the day LOL

:thumbup:

And to the OP i heard today its reported diesel will reach £2.30 by next year being 50p dearer than petrol

Which would make my best friend laugh his socks of as it would work out cheaper for him to run his LCR than me with my Fabia vRS :thumbdwn:

Right get this back on topic, stop the bickering and whatever.

If it doesn't then it'll be closed!

The actual thread question is a valid one and worth a lively debate but let's keep as such :thumbup:

A garage I passed today has actually reduced the price of diesel and increased the price of petrol so the gap is less than it was (well at least at this garage).

What do you with that car ......................push it or get towed,

No wonder you couldn't hit 5 mpg on the instant reading........you big girl :P

I've got a light foot when I've got a light wallet :(

I'm going diesel next for the main reason it's the cheapest way to go fast. Let me explain. In the real world torque is the winner over horsepower, makes a car easier to drive IMO. The Fabia vRS will be my next car in a few months time as it's fast and economical. If I wanted the petrol equivalent in terms of performance, as I'm 19 it would cost me a lot more on insurance, it would have worse MPG and would be in a higher tax band.

I know that it cost more to fill up and the cost difference between the two is now narrowing but being young the insurance companies batter me. So if I want to go fast for the time being it has to be diesel.

I'd say with the difference in the pricing of fuel over 15p that SMALL petrols are king. If you've got a 1.0l 3cyl 107/C1/Aygo you're only paying £35 road tax (Soon to drop to £20) and you're getting 50-60mpg and paying the lower fuel price. If you've got one of these you're sitting pretty tbh.

However that said if you're after performance, diesel is the only way to go. If I were looking for a petrol of equivalent age and performance to my Fabia I'd probably go for a Focus ST170. These get 35mpg if you're careful, and they prefer to drink super. Whereas if I drive my Fabia carefully I'll get 50-55mpg. So even though I'm paying a little more for fuel I'm still paying less than I would for a petrol cousin.

If you've got one of these you're sitting pretty tbh.

The problem is, you have to drive them hard to get the same level of performance (this was recently discussed :))

I'd say with the difference in the pricing of fuel over 15p that SMALL petrols are king. If you've got a 1.0l 3cyl 107/C1/Aygo you're only paying £35 road tax (Soon to drop to £20) and you're getting 50-60mpg and paying the lower fuel price. If you've got one of these you're sitting pretty tbh.

However that said if you're after performance, diesel is the only way to go. If I were looking for a petrol of equivalent age and performance to my Fabia I'd probably go for a Focus ST170. These get 35mpg if you're careful, and they prefer to drink super. Whereas if I drive my Fabia carefully I'll get 50-55mpg. So even though I'm paying a little more for fuel I'm still paying less than I would for a petrol cousin.

agree 100% here we have a fabia vrs and a suzuki swift 1.3 gl and the swift is way cheaper to run than the fabia,it averages 40mpg whereas the fabia used to do 45 ish,pre re map the swift is 960kg and 93bhp so its no slouch either,still trying to tempt her into a 1.9tdi sport fabia 2 tho:D

I suppose the truth is we just don't know what the future holds in respect of prices. My guess would be that there will be a 'backing off' and some reduction for both fuels but especially diesel which is so important for industryand commerce. But contrary to the view that my OP was a poor one, I do believe the fuel situation is well worth keeping an eye on. I think most on here realise the seriousness of the fuel situation and are happy to discuss it.

Isn't diesel more greener anyway compared to petrol?

so no matter what. A diesel car would stil do more miles to the gallon and greener for the environment. the lower tax, and more miles to the gallon make it equal to the petrol varient.

although servicing a diesel is more expencive than petrol right?

I may be wrong, as i've only ever owned a petrol. I'll soon find out i guess:)

I can’t help but think the Diesel vs petrol augment is an old and exhausted one. Ppl used to argue that diesels were better because of higher efficiency engines and longer lifespans, the petrol brigade would counter with better power and smoother running. Well time has passed and we now have diesels that do not need an excuse in order to be preferred over petrol. Diesels by and large produce similar power to petrols (excepting high performance cars mainly) are as smooth running from inside the car and even quieter on motorways thanks to great insulation and taller gearing. Petrol has now swapped places and is arguing it is cheaper than diesel. It is all madness I tell thee. You can argue a case for both types of engine these days, cheaper petrol against lower emissions penalties, higher revving power against greater mid range urge. It really only boils down to which do you prefer. Diesels so not need an excuse for buying them in their own right. I like the big V8 like pull of my diesel and although it doesn’t make a nice petrol noise, when was the last time you owned a petrol car that made a great noise?? Most petrols are 4 cylinder muffled wizzz boxes and owners put silly exhaust on them to give the car some character, it doesn’t do anything of the sort( I suspect the ch4v generation don’t even know what qualifies as a great sounding engine, or indeed which bits make the best noise…….it often isn’t the exhaust guys!). It’s like putting English mustard on your Maccy Ds and saying you have created a Michelin Star worthy meal with fire and passion. Bollax

Diesels are great, end of.

Petrols are great, end of.

36_12_1.gif

IMO diesels are a damn sight more easy to live with than petrols. Yes the turbo charged petrol cars out there are quick and torquey but you really sacrifice on the fuel economy.

Normally aspirated petrol cars feel totally breathless in comparison with their diesel counterparts even if a bit cheaper and are IMO tiring to drive too.

Diesel is the way for me everytime. I drove from Derry to Belfast the other day and during the 75 mile trip used very little fuel at all. It was a pleasant journey and my wee diesel Golf didn't flinch at the climb over the mountain at the Glenshane pass on the way up. I never even dropped out of 5th gear. A similar petrol car would have to be coaxed up the hill by changing down.

I averaged 65.5 mpg and by driving an extra few miles and nipping over the border, I filled up for £0.99 per litre.

It's a no brainer.

Incidentally can anyone explain why diesel is dearer than petrol in the first place? Diesel is much less refined than petrol so if anything should be cheaper.

It can't be blamed on demand because demand for petrol is still higher than for diesel although if you factor commercial demand in then more diesel is used than petrol. Hmm that seems a bit unfair.

Incidentally can anyone explain why diesel is dearer than petrol in the first place? Diesel is much less refined than petrol so if anything should be cheaper.

It can't be blamed on demand because demand for petrol is still higher than for diesel although if you factor commercial demand in then more diesel is used than petrol. Hmm that seems a bit unfair.

Do you think its the technology that companies have put in to make diesels more appealing because of the PD and CR technology that goes into these new engines to make the money back from all the research and testing that goes into them, also the different metals and robustness thats needed?

as of course diesels were never that appealing until the turbos were introduced etc?

The underlying thing that manufactures like about diesels, is they are more efficient than petrol engines. All the work has made them more powerful, smoother and enabled the designers to build smaller engines. Originally they couldn’t make small diesel engines work well because of features such as the small injectors required.

I would prefer a multi cylinder petrol engine to a diesel if I had the money (oh for an M3 or a Corvette C6 with race cans), but in the real would I so much more prefer my diesels. Besides, my standard 2.0 Tdi is pretty quick (played with a 2.5 petrol Mondeo yesterday and was surprised how much quicker my car was and still got 41 mpg after many miles of carpet depth testing)

I don’t like the way diesel gets all over the nozzle handles and if you get it on your shoes it ruins them instantly:(

Which would make my best friend laugh his socks of as it would work out cheaper for him to run his LCR than me with my Fabia vRS
I seriously doubt a landcruiser is cheaper to run the vrs.petrol and diesel rise together.Didn't diesel used to be cheaper than unleaded at one point

I seriously doubt a landcruiser is cheaper to run the vrs.petrol and diesel rise together.Didn't diesel used to be cheaper than unleaded at one point

I thought a LCR was a Leon Cupra R??

petrol Vs diesel debate is pointless -

the only advantages you got out of diesel was cheaper fuel and mpg - i`ve found with higher new cost prices , servicing costs and parts which can be double comparisons are errelevent -

if you are a boy racer and want a rocket ship that goes like hell but costs the earth to run thats fine by me -

until petrol reaches parity with diesel i would not even consider one -