What would you consider buying?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What would you consider buying?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James, out of interest, what base spec have you sold most of ? S, SE or Elegance ? Also, have you had anyone order the V6 ?

If money was no object, I'd have gone for that, purely for the fun factor, but 3 grand extra seemed a lot of ££ for it.

James, have you received any orders for a Superb II in 'S' spec?

I test drove a 170CR DSG but would have much preferred a manual 'box. I actually like changing gear complete with the challenge of obtaining well judged, smooth shifts.

Its strange that a 1.8 Turbo DSG has a lower CO2(168) than the 2.0PD DSG(177)

Its also quicker and cheaper

and quieter. the gov website is showing 165g not 168 which takes it down a group. not sure if this is correct - will let you know when i get my logbook !

Its strange that a 1.8 Turbo DSG has a lower CO2(168) than the 2.0PD DSG(177)

Its also quicker and cheaper

Another reason for going for the CR variant. More power for less emissions. What's not to like ? (apart from the engine rebuild cost if you put petrol into it by mistake - just ask Essex police.....;))

170CR DSG with paddles. Elegance estate with self levelling suspension in silver with Luna wheels ( Don't have to clean so often and when you do it's easier! ) Uprated sound system, tints, mud flaps, rubber mats, rubber boot mat ( just like rubber! ) and er what else?!! :thumbup:

I was unsure about DSG until the weekend. The old chap bought himself a Golf 1.4 TFSi DSG last week and I had a go. I used to swear I'd never want an auto. I was impressed.

Now give me a Fabia 1.4 TFSi DSG with some flappy paddles to play with

Hi guys,

Starting put Superb II on wait list with the factory for stock.

We can't decide if we should be ordering mostly DSG or manual.

So far I've ordered:-

• 2.0TDi CR DSG Elegance (Steel Grey with Black Leather with sunset glass/park assist/floor mats)
  • 2.0TDi PD SE (Mocha Brown with Black Leather with sunset/floor mats)

Anyway, I'd like the feedback from this forum since you'll be the people buying this car and I'll hopefully be one of the guys supplying them.

If you could make a decision on my poll and also if you could also post why you would prefer to buy DSG/Manual.

Thank you.

2.00Ltr 170 DSG Elegance in Storm Blue. Cream Leather as long as you dont have children with Sticky Lollipops:eek: You know it looks stunning James :)

Not in the market for one, but personal preference would be the 1.8TSI DSG.

It's a brilliant engine, mated to a brilliant gearbox. Is powerful and torquey enough without being a tractor, and actually has a usable rev range :)

Not in the market for one, but personal preference would be the 1.8TSI DSG.

It's a brilliant engine, mated to a brilliant gearbox. Is powerful and torquey enough without being a tractor, and actually has a usable rev range :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::):):)

finally - someone who agrees with me !!!:D

You are welcome to come test drive mine anyday (well - when i finally get it !!)

Id prefer the manual gearbox than dsg.....prefer to feel the torque from the engine than the fluid build up one gets from the dsg...dont get me wrong, dsg is a nice box with paddles...but im more concerned using the paddles in an emergency and cornering at same time.unless of course they move with the steering wheel hehe...which they do dont they??

Id prefer the manual gearbox than dsg.....prefer to feel the torque from the engine than the fluid build up one gets from the dsg...dont get me wrong, dsg is a nice box with paddles...but im more concerned using the paddles in an emergency and cornering at same time.unless of course they move with the steering wheel hehe...which they do dont they??

have you driven the DSG ? i drove the diesel DSG and its very different from the traditional torque converter auto box. You do get a very similar experience to driving a manual but without the clutch. even the revs drop when the gear changes then they go back up again - just like a manual (albeit in the blink of a eye as the gearchange is so quick). when you are in manual mode the gear lever is moved over so you can use it to change up or down so if the steering wheel / paddles are not int he correct place on a bend simply go for the gear lever shift.

dissappointing that the paddles dont work when the gear selector is in "D" - on the audi tiptonic system the paddles would work all the time, usefull for forcing a downshift when approaching a sharp bend or when going down a hill. the system would then revert to auto mode if the paddles where not touched for about 20 secs. very simple but effective system.

to be honest i havent driven a superb with the dsg...tho i have driven an audi with tiptronic gearbox, i think their the same .....but in my opinion the bite wasnt there as you get with the manual, dont get me wrong the audi was pretty quick...but i could sense the fluid changes like in a standard automatic

And having owned an auto before, i had problems with the transmission oil, was told the gearbox was overheating and advised to get rid of the car, plus it had oil in the cooling system, not much, but enough to put me off rovers hehe...tho the one i had the 825i 24valve quad cam was very quick....but no one wanted to touch the engine for belt renewal.

Main dealer basically priced me out of it so i then decided to try out a skoda octavia ambiente...then slowly went up to my present facelift superb. Meanwhile ive been discussing the next new car with my wife who finds it hard to walk these days and she feels we should purchase a new superb with the dsg 140bhp........i cant complain, as she is the one who will eventually be paying for it ^_^

the tiptonic and DSG are totally different. tiptonic is a conventional auto with a torque converter and panetary gears. DSG is a twin clutch system mated to a standed geearbox. they are like chalk and cheese (i had an audi tiptonic at the same time i was test driving DSG superbs so had a direct comparison)

make sure you get the common rail and not the PD engine. the PD engine is very old tech and very noisy and rough round the edges. the CR is much nicer. If i was in a position where i had to buy diesel then i woudl get the 170CR diesel with DSG as its far better than the 140.

i had "issues" with the tiptronic as i have always been a manual driver but the DSG is fantastic

for a more elegant (and lengthy) explanation of the DSG box see here :

Direct-Shift Gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the tiptonic and DSG are totally different. [/url]

Yes BUT Audi also have Multitronic which is totally different

I had an Audi A6 1.8T Multitronic and was the best car I've ever had mainly because of the auto gearbox

It is CVT (constant velocity transmission) Floor the throttle from standstill and the revs rise to say 6000 and your speed just builds up

There are no gears and it is quicker than a manual and mpg is the same

AFAIK it is only made for Audis with a non-transverse engine layout.

Basically it uses a small multi plate clutch to start the car off from a standstill and then two pairs of steel cones connected by a seven link wide chain with special contact pads on the sides of the chain sits between the cones to transmit power

IMO A brilliant design

Edited by PowerMalc
Spelling

multitronic....its a bit odd - reminds me of a "twist & go" scooter !!!

i think its like marmite - you either love it or hate it !!

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Multitronic CVT box myself. In fact I've driven a CVT box I liked, the worst ones I've ever driven is either the Punto Selecta or the Rover 25 CVT both of which are unspeakably poor.

Got some good news for you ref your Superb by the way Jon! I'll send you an email with details!

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Multitronic CVT box myself. In fact I've driven a CVT box I liked, the worst ones I've ever driven is either the Punto Selecta or the Rover 25 CVT both of which are unspeakably poor.

Got some good news for you ref your Superb by the way Jon! I'll send you an email with details!

the worst has to be the citroen grand picasso (new style) with the semi-auto box. it has the jerkiest change , especially, on the down shift that you can imagine. rest of the car is shi*e as well !!!