Why ruin your car?

d_milek

Hello

I also have a vRS, and although I have no plans to modify it, I think it would look better on bigger wheels, maybe a little lower, and of course a remap would be nice!

I personally don't see value for money in modding a car though. I'd prefer to spend my hard earned on better holidays, my hi-fi etc......

I don't have a problem with other people modifying stuff though. If it's done right it can look great. If if not at least it gives me something to laugh at in an M25 traffic jam!

Basically different people see value in different things

(loud exhausts are a pain though, unless hooked up to a fruity V8!)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm not against modifying if it makes the car better. For example; I heard about a guy who was thinking of cutting through the front of the driver's side wheel arch to place an air-vent cover there. That would increase the air flow over the turbo intercooler located just in front of the arch. The result would be a more effective cooling of the air delivered to the turbo when one is driving their vRS in a brisk fashion, thus increasing the effectiveness of the intercooler to give more power over sustained periods. This is a carefully considered mod and one perhaps worthy of doing. A sophisticated re-map may also be worthy of doing.

There seem to be alot of people going to great lengths to keep changing the cosmetics of their car. The results are often dire. The vRS will be a bit of a classic in the future. A bit like the Pug 205 GTI. It looks great already. I just wanted to understand the people on here that dont seem to think that.

I dont want to offend anyone. Apart from the Chavs, who will see their efforts next to a standard vRS one day and think 'Christ, what have I done!?'.

The words think before you post spring to mind..... I am all for expressing yourself but i do think you also have to consider people interpretation of your post, as well as peoples views, To be honest you can't come onto a tight community like this and insult the majority in one post... ore importantly on your 3rd post......... I don't think you did it intentionally but there are people on here with modified cars that have been on here years......

Hope i never meet you at a meet, i might cover your car with RIPSPEED stickers and a sunstrip :)

the bloke that started this thread is a tool end off! need to lock the thread! it will end up in constant arguing

Actually I don't think he is a tool, he made some valid points... whether or not anyone here agrees with him or not is irrelevant, :) After all, the examples given after I mentioned that I hadn't seen any tacky ones showed exactly what the original poster was talking about :thumbdwn:

The words think before you post spring to mind..... I am all for expressing yourself but i do think you also have to consider people interpretation of your post, as well as peoples views, To be honest you can't come onto a tight community like this and insult the majority in one post... ore importantly on your 3rd post......... I don't think you did it intentionally but there are people on here with modified cars that have been on here years......

Hope i never meet you at a meet, i might cover your car with RIPSPEED stickers and a sunstrip :)

I dont think the OP did "insult" anyone - just expressed an opinion (which I happen to agree with). However, the extreme vitriol thrown back by a few, shocks and annoys me and convinces me this forum is not at all well moderated.

You can call me whatever you like but I've seen enough and I've decided to leave this forum for good.

I realise that there'll be replies that say I won't be missed, but if that the way the forum is allowed to continue, it'll just fade into being a place where the same dozen people bang on about the size of their egos.

Goodbye.

I dont think the OP did "insult" anyone - just expressed an opinion (which I happen to agree with). However, the extreme vitriol thrown back by a few, shocks and annoys me and convinces me this forum is not at all well moderated.

i also think some of the responses are too strong, it's the whole bandwagon syndrome

I said as much in post #71 Skodakid and TT, but it was totally ignored as ppl rushed in to say they weren’t all Chavs or teenagers and then had to express how they were going to Mod their cars in order to Troll back at the OP. Pointless imho. The OP has not said he doesn’t like Modding, quite the contrary, but so many posters can’t be ar$ed to read the thread or the OP.

Wow this thread had got a lot of debate.I certainly wouldn't leave a forum though unless things hit the fan.I can say this forum is moderated well though. The mods allow everyone to express their views.concept of free speech anyone?Just saw the South Park cartoon war episode, and that was hilarious

Hello all.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm not against modifying if it makes the car better... there seem to be a lot of people going to great lengths to keep changing the cosmetics of their car. The results are often dire.

So, then, d_milek is finally saying what I said he was saying way back: ;)

Me: "As far as I can see, d_milek does not actually state that modifications/personalisations/customisations are the work of Satan himself.

What he does not personally find attractive are cheap-looking/amateurish bodges that detract from the form or function of the car.

And who would disagree with that?

Apart, of course, from chavs on acid etc."

Is there really any more that need be said? :confused:

Edited by Mr Wobblytickle

You can call me whatever you like but I've seen enough and I've decided to leave this forum for good.

I realise that there'll be replies that say I won't be missed, but if that the way the forum is allowed to continue, it'll just fade into being a place where the same dozen people bang on about the size of their egos.

Goodbye.

Im sad to hear that mate and I don't think anyone will post saying "you won't be missed" . This is the point i was trying to make as well by posting somthing that i see as insulting (again down to inturpritation) can cause people to leave, get anoyed and so on. I think the forum is moderated fine and discussion is what it is all about, if every post was locked as soon as heated discusions start, we would never go anyware.

Goodbye.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion obviously, but I don't think making your first (IIRC) post a flame against half the membership of the site is ever a good way of getting a positive response. Also, personally, I'm pleased that moderators here are prepared to allow people a right to reply to flames.

Briskodas certainly changed!

Reminds me of threads a couple of years ago about the impact the Fabia vRS would have in terms of who would end up driving and buying them.

(Oh,I confess to modifying my MkI Octavia vRS.Although that was limited to taking the Octavia lettering off the boot:D)

Young people have bought them.

Doesnt mean all us "younguns" are chavs.

Skoda needs an injection of life into its brand ffs.

Look what it did for SEAT.

Ok young un i was wondering if you could answer a question thats been bugging me all thread wtf is a CLUNGEWAGON? Can we break it down oldschool for a minute?:thumbup:

Ey up! I don't care either way.Each to their own.

I'm just impressed people have sense to buy skodas ,even young people!

It wasnt aimed at you.

Just gets on my goat when people on here of the "older generation" seem to rue the day anyone under the age of 30 gets their hands on a precious Skoda.

No wonder Skoda's rep has changed from skip to granny wagon.

SEAT went about it the right way and a "less than average" badge now has a pretty sporty image is often put on the same level, if not more "exotic" than both Ford and Vauxhall.

Cars depreciate, younger people like fast(ish) cars too, doesnt make us all chavs and doesnt mean we all park up in "maccy d's blud" on a Friday night and cart 13 year old girls around the town centre (OK, I admit I do cart a young girl around the town centre, my daughter)

I personally cant see the brand going this way anyway because chavs normally know little about cars and would certainly rather own a ****roen, peugrot, corsa-**** or fester before a Fabia - it doesnt have the "street cred" :rolleyes:

Aren't Skoda achieving exactly what they wanted by tempting younger drivers to buy their cars, anyway? I'm a 19 year old Fabia VRS driver. Does that make me a bad or spoilt person? I don't think so, I've worked bloody hard to be able to afford what I'm driving at the moment and when people on here say it's a "shame" that the average age of the Fabia driver is coming down it is in fact quite irritating.

If you go right back to the OP, he certainly questions lowering a car, which strongly suggests to me that he's dubious about changing damper or ARB rates, and suggests that engine tuning is a bad idea.

I disagree.

He stated: "I also dont understand why somebody should want to lower their car so that there is virtually no clearance between the tyres and the wheel-arch? To my mind, doing that makes your car pretty useless when driving over any terrain other than a perfectly smooth and level surface."

Clearly he is only against lowering the car to a degree that would impact negatively on function.

Seems rational enough to me. :thumbup:

Do you disagree?

How you subsequently inferred from that flawed interpretation that "he's dubious about changing damper or ARB rates, and suggests that engine tuning is a bad idea" is frankly baffling. :confused:

Indeed, had you been keeping up to speed with the thread, you would have noticed that he earlier clarified his position when he said:

"I'm not against modifying if it makes the car better. For example; I heard about a guy who was thinking of cutting through the front of the driver's side wheel arch to place an air-vent cover there. That would increase the air flow over the turbo intercooler located just in front of the arch. The result would be a more effective cooling of the air delivered to the turbo when one is driving their vRS in a brisk fashion, thus increasing the effectiveness of the intercooler to give more power over sustained periods. This is a carefully considered mod and one perhaps worthy of doing. A sophisticated re-map may also be worthy of doing."

Ok Mr Wobblytickle,

It's not always the case that lowering a car that far adversely affects the ride, particularly if you use coilovers, and reduce the length of the damper tower below the lower spring platform. I don't know of a case where this has happened, but it's theoretically possible that you could fit coilovers and reduce your spring rates, which scarcely seems to intrinsically "make the car useless except on perfectly level surfaces".

As I've just demonstrated, you can't draw a conclusion about a car's ride from its ride height, but the OP has. I presume that his total knowledge of suspension tuning is of a similar level.

I'll concede that I may have read something that wasn't there about engine tuning.