Mad weekend cars, where would you waste your money

skudmissile

which one would you have  

1 member has voted

1. 1. which one would you have

• Lotus elise 111R (toyota engined 189bhp version)
    • Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
    • TVR Tuscan 4.0
    • Other please state

I did wonder if I saved up a bit of cash, whether I could get a nice C6 Corvette one day. Alas the failing economy and a slight drying up of work has made me rethink, but it is an itch I would like to scratch one day. I think of them as a reliable TVR Griffith, not as pretty but similar amount of grunt (perhaps a tad more) large amounts of grip and a fabulous exhaust noise. The interior is a bit poo compared to a TVR but the whole thing is very unstressed and should be very reliable. LHD just isn’t a problem after a days driving in one. A C5 convertable (not a Sinclair) would be nice too [/url] 12_7_27.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the tuscan is good for tall people...redbaron?

what about the elise, would a lanky 6ft4 like myself fit on one :rofl:

Everything i keep looking at takes me straight back to lotus 7 type kit cars, especially the bike powered ones :o

What’s your budget range??

I was passed by a rather sexy AC Cobra replica on the motorway (there are many terrible ones too) Reg no V8 NOS. I can't think of much that would turn heads more than a nice AC

The dax cobra kits are about 15-18k and when done sell for around 26k :eek:

Its just finding the engines thats the problem in this country. Looked at them and I am indeed very interested

Too much to choose from :(

what about the elise, would a lanky 6ft4 like myself fit on one

I'm 6ft and I fit in our Exige - but only if I crank my head down to the left and I've booked a post drive chiropractor session.

A colleague has a VX220 Turbo and I fit in that better.

A couple of weeks ago I went as a passenger in a couple of VX on a Lotus on Track day at Silverstone. The VX's were much quicker than the Lotus's, although both the VX's I went in were heavily modified. One was supercharged and was impressively quick as well as having that fantastic screaming soundtrack!

I have issues with the Vauxhall brand (I am scarred by 30 year old memories), but the VX is so much more Lotus than Vauxhall in design.

It would be a VX or Lotus over the TVR for me as a track car but I could not live with it on the road - I need too much comfort these days!

15k but maybe up to 20k for the right car

Have you considered a Yank Muscle car? They are usable throughout the week too and some like the Corvette actually handle quite well:). I hated them until the day i started to sell them. Sure the interiors are built out of recycled Lego and Jelly moulds, but they are very charismatic to drive (F150 lightning, C5 + C6, Vipers etc) and there are even V8 Mustangs in your price range now.

Two words: running costs :eek:

There's a reason they're now that cheap. Cost of fuel mainly, plus keeping them on the road.

I'd much rather have something a bit more lightweight for a mad weekender :D

Steve

Two words: running costs :eek:

There's a reason they're now that cheap. Cost of fuel mainly, plus keeping them on the road.

I'd much rather have something a bit more lightweight for a mad weekender :D

Steve

I sold a C4 to a young chap and told him he could get 30mpg out of it if he drove it back down the motorway at the Speed limit or less. He rang me up a few hours later to say he had done a tank brim and worked out his consumption………………………30mpg!!!! Not bad for a 5.7 lump. The Corvettes can be pretty economical if you drive them gently and although this isn’t what they are designed for, they do still sound great at low speeds. Only a suggestion though.

A Megabusa would be a true WMD:):):)

John would not get 30mpg out of it. I would bet a whole tank of fuel on it :P

Steve

To be honest I couldn’t believe anyone could sit at 70 in one either, but the young lad was a bit of a train spotter. The car looked superb though and had sports cans on it so it howled beautifully. I have a couple of pictures of it somewhere, I will dig them out.

I sold a C4 to a young chap and told him he could get 30mpg out of it if he drove it back down the motorway at the Speed limit or less. He rang me up a few hours later to say he had done a tank brim and worked out his consumption………………………30mpg!!!! Not bad for a 5.7 lump. The Corvettes can be pretty economical if you drive them gently and although this isn’t what they are designed for, they do still sound great at low speeds. Only a suggestion though.

A Megabusa would be a true WMD:):):)

I've managed 40mpg out of my ST when driven gently which is exactly the figure Ford quote.

TBH you don't buy a C6, Mustang or a Charger for it's mpg figure.. :rolleyes: