Is this normal behaviour from a Skoda dealer?

After an extended test drive and the advice you gave me here http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/good-time-buy-vrs-estate/122248/ we decided to go ahead and order a new Octavia vRS CR Estate earlier this month.

This was influenced by the dealer finding a specific car to the required spec waiting to be shipped to the UK from Germany. To get the range of options we required, they need to dealer-fit Cruise Control, but otherwise it's the right colour, Black Pearl, 18" Alloys, D/Z Aircon and rear parking sensors.

The vehicle arrived at the dealer today and they contacted me twice:

1. To say we were lucky as they had not realised the car is over-specced compared to our order as it has an electric sunroof which we will now benefit from as it was their error. But then..

2. To say the management of the dealership had intervened and they were not now prepared to go-ahead with delivery of this vehicle next week, as the deal had become uneconomic from their perspective. They propose to place a factory order (with I assume a c12 week lead time) to provide a vehicle of the spec ordered.

We would accept a vehicle with a sunroof, but place no significant value on this feature - we didn't even consider ordering it as an extra.

I am not happy with this treatment. While an error has been made I feel this sits with the Dealer, or between Dealer and Manufacturer and the Customer shouldn't get dragged-into this scenario a few days before delivery.

Is this normal behaviour from a Skoda Dealer, because if it is I'm off elsewhere?

I would personally take my business elsewhere.

They may change their minds to avoid losing the business.

It sounds like a genuine error but it is their error so if you do stick with them and ed up waiting for a new one I'd expect them to give you a free service or something to compensate on you waiting. If they give you nothing then I'd suggest you go elsewhere as whoever you get it from the wait will be the same.

Time to call their bluff.

Tell them to put it where the light doesn't reach. They have defaulted on your agreement.

If they don't budge, fine.....let them be stuck with it until they find a buyer.

You can re-order from another dealer to your correct spec with the same delivery lead time. So you have nothing to loose!

They may well think again when faced with loosing a certain sale.

Don't agree to meet them half way with any money adjustments. It was their error, not yours.

I don't thinks this is typical from Skoda in particular. All manufacturers dealers **** up somewhere along the line.

Good luck. It will be worth the wait if you have to re-order.

I agree, I'd probably go elsewhere.

Think they found one in stock and hoped you'd just cough up the extra. They can either sell you it at your agreed price, or you can leave it and go elsewhere. :)

Definately, i'd hold out for the one they said you could have or sod off to another dealer! With the way car sales appear to be at the moment (sh*te!), i'm surprised they've gone back on their agreement, especially since it's a c*ck-up from their side and not your fault in any way.

F*ck 'em!! :finger::rofl:

i'd just walk as im 90% sure they will ring you up within a day or 2 to offer you a deal with it or even let you accept it at the agreed price before the **** up. trust me the dealers are starting to suffer, they have targets to reach and they need as much business as possible at moment. you could mention that you going elsewhere and a mate of yours who is also looking has been recommended another garage after hearing about your problems (they dont like bad press if you know what i mean).

The reply in Post #3 has it on the button, that's just how I'd play it. I'd expect them to then fall in line.

On the plus side - sounds like a great motor, and a good spec list :thumbup:

Good luck :)

Steve

Two things cross my mind:

1. I'm a tall bloke and need the headroom. Sunroofs reduce headroom space!

2. Get a quote from an on line car dealer for the car you want and give it to the Skoda Agent. When you buy from an online dealer, the car is deliverd to you by your local Skoda Agent normaly with a big saving). That will take the smile off their face :)

Try another dealer, there is an outside chance you may get the original car. Years ago I was buying a Golf, the first dealer did not like my negotiating approach and effectively asked me to leave as he said my offer was ridiculous.:D

Went to another dealer who accepted my offer and the car delivered came from the first dealer through some sort of VAG stock swapping arrangement. Not sure if this is still done.

I can understand the dealer, if they've done the guy a megadeal, for them to then have to give a £665 sunroof would mean their selling the car at a loss!

As for telling them to stick it!, I'd read the T&Cs of the order first as it may not be that simple. Probably best to try and get the dealer to offer to cancel the order.

There may be no cars availabe in the exactly the spec you want, but there might be something very very close!;)

:iagree:

The other possibility is they've found someone willing to pay more for the car and they're trying to fob you off. :thumbdwn:

Or maybe in these financially-straitened times, they figure that they can't "afford" to take the loss (or at least, reduction in profit) that selling this at the agrreed price would realise, a "loss" that they would have borne in busier days. Presumably they reckon that they will be able to sell such a well specc'd car to somebody else for more money, and not have it sitting around on their books for too long.

I can understand why they're doing it. I just think that it stinks. In an ideal world, since it's their error, they should just let you have it at the agreed price. At the very least, if they're not going to do that, they should be offering you it with the sunroof heavily discounted, or offering you all sorts of additional incentives to stay with them whilst they order you another.

I would tell them that you're going to walk away, will do some research for a few days into finding a dealer that has a good reputation for customer service, and will then order from that dealer. (Letting them know that you're going to spend a few days researching dealers gives them a chance to change their minds, ring you back and do the right thing by offering it at the original price - if they think you're going to order another one in five minutes time, they don't have time to change their minds and make you an offer.)

I can understand the dealer, if they've done the guy a megadeal, for them to then have to give a £665 sunroof would mean their selling the car at a loss!

I understand that, however, surely loosing good customer will and future servicing etc. is worth more than a £665 sunroof?

They propose to place a factory order (with I assume a c12 week lead time) to provide a vehicle of the spec ordered.

You need to check it is actually a factory order (from scratch) and it is this length of wait before you assume. They might have access to another dealers consignment stock or there may be a factory order almost complete for all you know.

Is this normal behaviour from a Skoda Dealer, because if it is I'm off elsewhere?

ust like pretty much all other makes, the vast majority of dealers are franchisees. This means two things:

1) there is no such thing as a 'typical' skoda dealer, just like there is not such thing as a 'typical' ford, vauxhall or peugeot dealer.

2) you have the option to contact Skoda head office - they might be prepared to chip in as a goodwill gesture, or the dealer might be more 'motivated' to keep you happy.

My local skoda dealer is generally very good - yes they have got a couple of things wrong so far, but it has been minor and they have always been eager to please.

Blade, He isn't doing.

The dealer isn't forcing him to pay or take the car, but for them to get the right car he is having to wait.

I know it's tough, but the buyer needs to check what implications there are in telling them to 'stuff it'. He will effectively be breaking the conract then, not the dealer, as all they have done currently is delay delivery.

As I've said, there will be cars available with the spec he wants but with cheaper extras than a sunroof.

I can't explain why the dealer isn't offering one of these cars!

But why should the customer pay for someone else's mistake?

on the other hand, if a dealer has provided a good service so far, tried to source an equal spec vehicle which is already built in order to save the customer money, etc etc etc, why should they be expected to lose money on the deal? In future perhaps they should just say they wont bother trying to help people get their cars quicker and just deal with factory orders.

IMHO the dealer should not expect the customer to pay the full option cost - perhaps 1/3 of the retail price would be fair. I dont see why there is an automatic assumption that they should just take the hit though. Then again it depends very much on the deal already on offer - if there is plenty of 'fat' in the deal then they could perhaps stomach it.

IMHO the dealer should not expect the customer to pay the full option cost - perhaps 1/3 of the retail price would be fair. I dont see why there is an automatic assumption that they should just take the hit though. Then again it depends very much on the deal already on offer - if there is plenty of 'fat' in the deal then they could perhaps stomach it.

So having to wait over 3 months because of a mistake (and perhaps selling the old car as the new one is on its way etc) the customer should be inconvenienced?

Its up to the dealer to get your custom, you're the customer not them! Some people seem to think that by the dealer finding you a car they're doing YOU a favour????

Wrong way round IMO!