Skoda Octavia WRC Specifications

chicken_eyebrow

Does anybody have detailed specs of the Octavia WRC car?

I've looked on the net and all I could find was that it was a turbocharged 5 valves per cylinder 2 litre engine.

I'm interested to know whether a special engine was developed for it or did they use a bored out 1.8 20v turbo lump as found in the roadgoing Octavias?

I own one, the engine is exactly the same as in all other vRS's 180bhp, only differences are White Alloys, White paint without the black side strips (Police vRS's have white paint silver alloy's and black side strips) Xenon's heated saets etc etc as standard, a dash mounted piece of metal with ***/100 mines being 068/100 and rally style graphics which skoda removed from my car before i bought it

Ross

Colin Mcrae also came very close to an excellent finish with the fabia in Australia but had mechanical problems. The last few results of that season influenced the decsion whether to stay in WRC or not. Great shame would have been great to see Colin in a full time seat there!

Colin Mcrae also came very close to an excellent finish with the fabia in Australia but had mechanical problems. The last few results of that season influenced the decsion whether to stay in WRC or not. Great shame would have been great to see Colin in a full time seat there!

:confused:

What's this got to do with an Octavia.

OFF TOPIC

That's what happens when you build a WRC using parts that other manaufacturers no longer use as the Fabia had Prodrive and M-Sport parts that both of those teams had moved on from. The main problem for Skoda with the the Fabia was that the drivers liked to crash more often than previously.

MCrae was only that high up due to ritirements by other people and he'd have done nothing if he had got a full time drive. WRC cars drive more like track cars these days and don't like going into the corners sideways which was the McRae style (and most of the Scandanavian drivers style) - look how he struggled with the zsara as a case in point.

OFF TOPIC

That's what happens when you build a WRC using parts that other manaufacturers no longer use as the Fabia had Prodrive and M-Sport parts that both of those teams had moved on from. The main problem for Skoda with the the Fabia was that the drivers liked to crash more often than previously.

MCrae was only that high up due to ritirements by other people and he'd have done nothing if he had got a full time drive. WRC cars drive more like track cars these days and don't like going into the corners sideways which was the McRae style (and most of the Scandanavian drivers style) - look how he struggled with the zsara as a case in point.

Very informative, "BUT", what has this got to do with the original question about a WRC Octavia......:confused:

Thats the info I found. :thumbup: What it doesn't say is whether they used a VAG 1.8 20v T engine like the AUQs in our Octavias or the BAMs in the Audi S3s and bore them out to 2 litres or was a 2 litre 4 cylinder 20v developed especially for the rally car? The turbo they used is also different, I thought Borg Warner made the K03's and K04's on the 20VT engines but it says there that on the WRC car it used a Garrett, no details on the turbo though :confused:

I'm just interested in what they used and if it's possible to recreate it in a roadgoing Octavia.

My mistake i was just going a little further into the skoda WRC relm. Didnt Realise it would cause such an uproar

We don't want to cause an uproar do we. We may be accused of exaggerating if we did. :rolleyes:;)

he doesn't mean the octavia WRC he means the WRC skoda octavia :)

unless of course you own a fully race prepped WRC car?

Ah crap, lol how to look like a rite knob :rofl:, i didn't read it correctly, should this question not be in the Motorsport Discussion section :confused:

Ross

It would have been a custom engine although it would have been based on the standard block and head.

I'm not sure that a K03 or K04 would stand up to the abuse of anti lag though.

That's along the right lines.

The only real thing it has in common with the std production car is the general shape of the body shell but this will have been stripped back to the bare metal and fully seam welded to make it much more stronger than a spot welded shell like the road car.

The engine is a 2.0T 20 valve with the turbo from Garett. As mentioned above the head and block have to be based on the standard car but te pistons, cylinder linings, valves, camshafts, crankshaft and con-rods are all modified (aka custom made).

Anti lag means you have full boost available from just above tickover and you're looking at around 5bar of boost. You have to have a 34mm restrictor plate fitted in the air intake (unless you are Toyota) to keep the power down to 300bhp at 5000 rpm and torque is up around the 600NM at 3250 rpm.

The transmission for the Octavia WRC Evo 1,2,3 was developed by Prodrive and is a 6 sped sequential box with programable active diffs.

Edited by spinndrift

You have to have a 34m restrictor plate fitted in the air intake (unless you are Toyota)

Is that 34 metres or miles? :eek:

Nice post though spinndrift, thanks for that! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

the turbo is a

Garrett TR30R Turbocharger features:

T25 type ball bearing cartridge.

The bearing races are made from M50 material and the retainer from silicon-bronze for high temperature capability.

An air-cooled center housing with turbo speed pickup boss.

Thin wall stainless steel turbine housing with V-Band inlet and outlet and attached with a V-Band.

The turbine housing is shielded with an activated carbon cloth heat shield.

Mar-M 247 turbine wheel material is good up to 1050C/1922F turbine inlet temperature.

The compressor housing is attached to a standard back plate with a V-Band.

Billet 5-axis machined aluminum compressor wheel.

F.I.A. Technical Regulations

Maximum of one turbocharger with one turbine wheel and one compressor wheel on a common shaft

No variable geometry

Maximum compressor wheel diameter 69.5mm

Maximum turbine wheel diameter 60.00mm

All engine air must pass through a 34mm diameter restrictor within 50mm of the compressor blade leading edge.

and the max boost is 2.05 bars and NOT 5

http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/tn_tablas%20motor.jpg

• 2 years later...
You have to have a 34mm restrictor plate fitted in the air intake (unless you are Toyota)

As my Sgt. said in recruit training

"if you're not cheating, you're not trying..."

Words i live my life by LOL