Which is best - Spectrum or Commodore 64?

Dr Zoidberg

Spectrum for me as i couldn't afford the C64:(

Jet Set Willy (probably the best platform game ever) - i remember writing the code out so i could copy the game.;) Double tape deck anyone.

Best version of that was on the Dragon 32.

22 levels instead of 20!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paradroid on the C64. Great game.

Did you see those joysticks recently for a fiver which were basically the C64 operatinjg system and loads of games? Well worth the money. Some people have opened them up and soldered in a keyboard so in effect you have a new C64.

Did you see those joysticks recently for a fiver which were basically the C64 operatinjg system and loads of games?

Those were made under license by Tulip, but I gather the license has lapsed now. Shame really - it was an intriguing bit of kit, especially (as you say) for the modders.

There's also the portable megadrive that's just been released, with a selection of games onboard. it's along similar lines to the C64 one and looks great :) There are some fantastic titles on there, and unfortunately a couple of seriously duff ones.

Sega retro .net - Sega Megadrive / Genesis Portable Handheld Retro Console.

Hi Doc,

I am owning the ZX81 and then Spectrum, many years past for now, and the Spectrum would often have the bad regulator IC which would stop the power, and so I was always replacing this one. This IC would get red hot, with the use, often.

The Spectrum is not so good, but my relative had Commodore 64, and it is still working well for today, if he is wanting to use it.

Thank you for the interesting question here.

Soviet:thumbup::)

I thought we may as well resurrect another "which is best" debate , though this one clearly has a definitive answer unlike the X-Box or PS3 question.

_42684671_commodore_64.jpg

CBM64, and even though I never personally owned the 1541, the 1541 was an amazing piece of kit for it's day, almost as powerful a CPU in there as in the main unit LOL.

Loading times were fine if you had a turboloader on tape as well as on disk (my mate had the 1541). Only catch was I used to have a couple of cassette drives to ensure 'borrowed' ;) archives of games would load up (head setting being a bit different, the azimuth on those heads used to be WAAAAY out).

Was fun to program, fun to game with, and for it's time was excellent.

Yes , I remember having to have two or three different tape drives to guarantee everything worked and that was on originals as well as copied games.

I never had a 1541 at the time though I've got one in the loft now.

Someone made a cassette deck called the Load-It for the C64, which was basically a standard deck with an azimuth adjuster dial built in and connected to a row of LEDs used to monitor signal strength. i just ground the edges down on the smallest Screwdriver I had and kept that next to the drive instead :)

Double tape deck anyone.

Then spending hours fiddling with the tape heads too get the hooky copy working :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Note too me .....read the rest of the thread before replying .......

Sabotuer on the spectrum .....anyone

• 2 weeks later...

I had (actually still have , but its fooked , ribbon cable between keyboard and the motherboard has cracked where it folded with age) a spectrum 48k which was my pride and joy for about 6 years!! I loved the games on it , the Hobbit , Daley Thompsons Decathalon , Jet Pac , Lunar Jetman , Manic Miner , Jet Set Willy , Football Manager , Cookie...ahh those were the days..... I even had the interface 1 and microdrive combo for mine (still got those too! and all my games...just in case!!)

Theres a few vids on YouTube regarding older computers , just type spectrum or commodore 64 in the search and see what comes up!!

Hehe. I only ever had a BBC.

Which following Colin's tape reference brings me to the conclusion

There is only one PAGE=&E00 :headbang: :D

You poor sod. Me too...

Phantom Combat and Elite ruled!

My friends had Speccy's, C64's, Amstrad CPC464's...

"Attack of the mutant camels" on C64 I remember fondly.

Sabotuer on the spectrum .....anyone

I've only just remembered that, it was a great game :D:thumbup:

Used to love the spectrum, we used to have to use the keys all the time though, the joystick didn't work that well because someone stood on the interface :rolleyes:

I was up in the loft at the weekend looking for old school photos to stick on facebook, in the corner there they were! The c16 +4 and the c64, dust had long since covered over the keys and the joysticks were no where to be seen, the power pack for the 64 was fooked a long time ago and i bent the pins on the joystick port for the 16 +4. Those titans of a bygone era sat quietly hoping they may one day live again!

The 64 without a doubt was better than the speccy, all you need to do is look at the graphics on double dragon and then you'll know.

I only have one word WIZBALL

There's a PC remake I've been playing. And it's rather good....! Retrospec - Retrogaming at its best