Interior bulbs - swap to LED`s

Ive got a 58 plate Octavia VRS and am thinking of changing the standard interior bulbs for the LED type. Was also considering doing the same to the boot lights.

Can anyone tell me how difficult this is to do, some simple instructions would be appreciated, and also what type of bulbs I will require.

Is it possible to change the number plate bulbs, or will that throw up a warning about a bulb being out???

Thanks!

I have changed my interior bulbs to LED's, huge improvement :thumbup:

You will need 2 W5W bulbs for the reading lights, and 2 42mm Festoon bulbs for the main interiors.

To access them just pop the plastic cover off using a credit card or your fingernails, the W5W are just simply push in (if they dont work turn them round the other way, to change the polarity) and the festoon ones just sit in spring loaded holders.

Number plate bulbs can be done no probs, and wont show any warnings up, but for some reason, whether it be that the boot gets slammed shut lots of times, in my experience they dont seem to last long :(

If you do want to change them anyway you will need a small star key, undo the 2 screws under the light and the assembly drops out, simply change the bulb (keeping your fingers off the bulb itself) and re-insert the light assembly and tighten up the 2 screws again.

Just be aware that, interior LED's are no problem, but the police could pull you up for having LED number plate bulbs (so much brighter)

As for the boot lights, how about what I have done, install a hidden white LED strip? looks so cool :thumbup:

Cheers

Damian

Edited by damo :-)

I have changed all the interiorlights with SuperFlux LEDs. All except the light for the ashtray (very small glasbulb).

If, you will need:

2* festoon bulb in 44mm for the rooflights (front one is the middle one)

2* Axial W5W for the readinglights of the front rooflight

2* festoon bulb in 38mm for the doorlights

1* festoon bulb in 30mm for the glovecompartment

2* Radial W5W for the boot

2* Axial W5W (with one led) for the outside mirror lights (boardingspots)

I have my LEDs from www.hypercolor.de a german seller.

The festoons are available in, for the 38mm version, 2 or 4 led. For the 44mm version, in 3 or 6 led. The W5W are available in, Radial 1 or 4 led. Axial in 1 led or, on special request, 4 led.

He also has leds for the front parkinglights with a ressistor.

I only changed the interior lights and the boardingspots. Didnt change the parkinglights and the numberplatelights, as, here in Germany, they are very keen on not approved lighting on a car.

To be fair, i'm not gonna spend the time looking for all those bulbs, but when I completely changed the interior colour of my MkII golf, (and I mean dashboard and everything, so no short measure!) I used www.ultraleds.co.uk. Very fast and efficient and had no problems with them whatsoever.:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me any guidance how to change the bulbs, only I dont want to start pulling things apart and break something.

Ive checked the owners manual, and all they say is take it to dealer!

I was wondering, does the cover come off from the windscreen side or not? Same with the rear light cover, which side are the release clips?

Ive just spoke to the dealer, and they claim that swopping the bulbs to anything other than standard with cause issues with the alarm and central locking, as it all goes through the same circuit and cambus. Is this true???? Anyone had any issues???

I was wondering, does the cover come off from the windscreen side or not? Same with the rear light cover, which side are the release clips?

Ive just spoke to the dealer, and they claim that swopping the bulbs to anything other than standard with cause issues with the alarm and central locking, as it all goes through the same circuit and cambus. Is this true???? Anyone had any issues???

Shouldn't cause issues because most of the LED festoon bulbs come with the resistors already soldered inside the glass...

dont listen to the dealer, I have changed all my bulbs to led's and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. As for how to get to the bulbs, like I said just insert a credit card/finger nails under the plastic cover and it will soon become apparent where its fastened in. They have 2 locator lugs on one side that sit inside a recess and the other just clips in to place. I think its the windscreen side IIRC. It really is not difficult, and you will not do any damage. They are not that flimsy. Now go and get it done, you will be well impressed with the results. Cheers, Damian.

Finally got round to swopping my bulbs with some Led`s from Ultra Bright Leds and Led products at bargain prices with super fast delivery - by Ultra Leds U.K.

Swopped the puddle lights in the door, boot lights and all the interior lights, apart from the map reading lights!

I had ordered some 501/194/T10 Mini Light Tower 9 Leds Xenon White for the map reading lights, unfortunately these are too long to fit into the holder and for the cover to go back on properly. So Im presently emailing them trying to get them swopped or refunded!

Tip for anyone installing these Leds, avoid the mini tower type, and becarefull what size you order!!

Finally got round to swopping my bulbs with some Led`s from Ultra Bright Leds and Led products at bargain prices with super fast delivery - by Ultra Leds U.K.

Swopped the puddle lights in the door, boot lights and all the interior lights, apart from the map reading lights!

I had ordered some 501/194/T10 Mini Light Tower 9 Leds Xenon White for the map reading lights, unfortunately these are too long to fit into the holder and for the cover to go back on properly. So Im presently emailing them trying to get them swopped or refunded!

Tip for anyone installing these Leds, avoid the mini tower type, and becarefull what size you order!!

Did you use any coloured ones or were they all the warm white ones?

Pictures would be good when you get the chance.

• 1 month later...

Can I just post a quick warning.

It is actually an MOT failure if white light is shown "directly to the rear".

So if using bright/white LED's on the numberplate you might be in trouble.

As above, it is an MOT failure to show a white light to the rear of the vehicle, it's also an offence.

The fact that the light bulbs lighting up the rear numberplate are hidden from view should keep you well within whats legal and proper.

In essence you are not showing a white light to the rear, you are only showing white light reflecting on your number plate and the bulb is not shining directly to the rear.Exactly the same as OEM bulbs.

As above, it is an MOT failure to show a white light to the rear of the vehicle, it's also an offence.

The fact that the light bulbs lighting up the rear numberplate are hidden from view should keep you well within whats legal and proper.

In essence you are not showing a white light to the rear, you are only showing white light reflecting on your number plate and the bulb is not shining directly to the rear.Exactly the same as OEM bulbs.

The thing is, the majority of numberplate bulbs tend to be "off white" - more yellow than anything else.

Using an LED will of course give you a crystal white light.

I'm sure it will be fine - but it is something to keep mindful about :)

The thing is, the majority of numberplate bulbs tend to be "off white" - more yellow than anything else.

Using an LED will of course give you a crystal white light.

I'm sure it will be fine - but it is something to keep mindful about :)

I can't see it being a problem tbh. BMW use white LED number plate lights in their new 3 series.