Actual Shops vs The Internet

Shifty

Well, seems to be alot of discussion, and feeling about this subject, so lets address it directly.

Actual shops - In most cases places you go to buy things, with service off real people, advice, and human interaction. The prices maybe more that what you can get the same item for on the internet, but they have staff and overheads.

The internet - A place you can buy anything and everything probably for less than out of an actual shop. You do however get no advice, service as such, or any human interaction. You also get to contribute to our rapidly bankrupt high street.

My own personal example would be tyres. You can buy tyres cheaper off the internet. That the only plus point. You then have to have the package arrive at your work/home, taking up space, then cart them off to a tyre place to get them fitted. Is it really worth the effort?

Personally I would rather go to a real tyre place in the first instance, where I can see the tyres, ask advice, have them supplied and fitted all at once, and if there is a subsequent problem with the tyre i can take it back and have it fixed right away.

High Street or Internet Super Highway? Discuss.

Speaking for myself, I try and buy most things off the internet. Its convenient and cheaper, I live in a small town and I hate going to the shops, there is hardly any choice and I will not venture out and about to the nearest large town, whats the point? Its take up so much time and hassle when you can just order items online and have them delivered to your door. I cannot get the things I need in my town so rely on the internet at lot. I have to go to Morrisons for the food shopping as they don't deliver and I hate Asda otherwise I would never go out! :D I really cannot see the appeal in "shopping" for fun, I only get things when I actually need them, not because I want them.

There are loads of pro's and cons for both.

In the High street you can have a good look at the product to work out its size/shape/weight etc and there are often some 'trained' staff to advise you on the specs etc.

The internet is normally cheaper with the options of many price comparison sites to aid tracking the best deals. Some sites offer cashback or voucher codes for further savings, and with the help of a search engine you can find reviews on the item your interested in helping to make a decision.

Personally i look to buy from the internet unless i need the item in a hurry, and the high street is a good place to se the item in the flesh before clicking 'buy' in the checkout.

I have saved alot of money over the years by buying online and i'm not going to spend extra in the high street as i don't enjoy the hassle of shopping and paying more for it. Thats my opinions and i understand they will differ from other peoples.

An interesting and, for me, topical subject.

Just before Christmas our wireless router went down, I am not great with computer

software/hardware set-up so went along to Pc World, thinking along the same line

as you, customer interaction, advice, backup etc.

Instore help was indeed at hand, and after short dialogue I purchased a new router.

To cut a long storey short I had an absolute nightmare setting it up, looked up the

number for my local Pc World (an 0845 number) went through an automated menu

only to be offered an 09 prefixed technical help number (premium rate:mad:)

In the end I contacted 'Belkin' direct, eventually I resolved my problems with

the manufacturers assistance, not the vendor.

I can't put a case forward for buying that particular product online as apposed to

in-store as I don't know the price online, however I do know that buying it in-store

for me, offered no real advantages. :( Slight rant over:)

That reminds me of an issue i had with PC world a year back.

I saw the laptop i wanted for my GF so went along with the cash to buy it at the nearest store. I told the 'assistant' the laptop and offer i had seen online and was told that it was an online offer only, and the laptop in question was in stock but was £50 extra if bought in the store and wouldn't have the extras advertised on the website.

In the end i logged on to their website in the store, reserved the laptop with extras for collection, and wrote down the reserve number and presented it to the 'assistant' who reluctantly went to get me the deal i wanted. I saved over £100 by getting it online, and if it wasn't for the fact i was in the store to begin with, i wouldn't have bought it from them i would have looked elsewhere online.

Internet 1. High street 0

My main issue is I don't trust the internet. That means I buy very few things from it. The only sites I buy off are well know ones such as Play and Amazon, where I already have an account so don't have to keep on typing in card details. From them I generally buy books, DVDs, CDs and memory cards, which are usually a pretty good price and eay to send through the post. The majority of other things I'd rather see in the flesh before I buy. Clothes - they need trying on. Electrical items - often large, PITA with delivery (usually have to collect any missed items from Bamber Bridge) and can be damaged in transit. Alot of these things you can work a deal out for in 'real life' shops with 'real life' people, who will then come and even set them up for you if need be. I feel safer buying from proper shops - you know where to take them back to if they break - if it's a dodgy site you may well have no comeback at all.

That reminds me of an issue i had with PC world a year back.

I saw the laptop i wanted for my GF so went along with the cash to buy it at the nearest store. I told the 'assistant' the laptop and offer i had seen online and was told that it was an online offer only, and the laptop in question was in stock but was £50 extra if bought in the store and wouldn't have the extras advertised on the website.

In the end i logged on to their website in the store, reserved the laptop with extras for collection, and wrote down the reserve number and presented it to the 'assistant' who reluctantly went to get me the deal i wanted. I saved over £100 by getting it online, and if it wasn't for the fact i was in the store to begin with, i wouldn't have bought it from them i would have looked elsewhere online.

Internet 1. High street 0

Good point, Argos are currently doing a similar 'deal' with a Bush Blu-ray player,

online + home delivery price cheaper than in store, and they won't let you order

online and collect instore, thus saving them delivering it:confused: wtf

I hate going to actual shops. I hate the crowds monging around, getting in the way. I hate the parking and the traffic, so I avoid it at all costs. I use local shops where possible (and walk), but hate large shopping centres and chains, so wherever possible my shopping is done online, and delivered to work so I don't have to wait in for the courier.

My last visit to the town centre for shopping had me reterating to the pub after an hour :).

I really cannot see the appeal in "shopping" for fun, I only get things when I actually need them, not because I want them.

Amen to that- though even when I want (rather than need) things, I buy online.

There are loads of pro's and cons for both.

In the High street you can have a good look at the product to work out its size/shape/weight etc and there are often some 'trained' staff to advise you on the specs etc.

Trained? :rofl: Not usually. Most of them know less than my cat about what they sell. And my cat is thick.

As for tyres, there's a small independent tyre dealer near work who takes care of the car and wheels, and doesn't try to sell me whatever teflon crap they get a bonus on, and usually get very close to online prices, so I go there.

if it's a dodgy site you may well have no comeback at all.

Use a credit card. Then the CC company insure you- Mine have been very useful once.

Edited by cjb

The High street retailer is doomed.

1. Just about everything cheaper on the net

2. Local councils increasing parking charges

3. Local councils increasing business rates

4. Employment law is against the retailer

5. Health and safety law is a pain in the a.. and costs them money

6. They have to endure shoplifting and theft from staff, and of course the odd window break

7. They are now used as a showroom for people buying on the net.

Just about all their overheads are going up, apart from maybe the rent which will come down due to oversupply. The net and the bug supermarkets are taking a massive percentage of their business now.

The supermarkets give people what they want, easy parking, cheap prices.

The only survivors will be the clothing trade, people do like to try stuff on, and of course the coffee shops and eateries/pubs.

Feel sorry for the small high street retailer.

Someone mentioned tyres.....

Camskill offer Falken 195/90/15 At tyres at £188.20 for 4, delivered.

When visiting my mums in Stoke a back street dealer did the 4, fitted, valves etc for £208.

Buying direct from Camskill would of meant paying about £7 to £10 per tyre to get them fitted so buying from a local fitter worked out a few quid cheaper.

Steve

I picked tyres at random, but it turns out to be a good example. My tyre man, well respected in the tyre world, motorsport, and indeed by our very own Colin D is seeing quiet times at the moment because of the internet. If he went under or called it a day, it would be very very sad, as he really does know his stuff, and can give advice you simply can't get from a faceless tyre wholesaler.

i tried to order a book in whsmith today, was looked at blankly when i asked if i could order a book, was told they only have what was on the shelf, so when i got home i ordered it off amazon and they wonder why people result to using internet to order stuff.

There is an awful lot to be said about companies protecting thier own interests by selecting staff more carefully, and then training them. PC world crops up an awful lot in that discussion. I like asking questions I know the answer to just to see how long it takes them not to be able to tell me. And I'm a long way of being an IT geek. (No offence IT geeks).

The High street retailer is doomed.

1. Just about everything cheaper on the net

2. Local councils increasing parking charges

3. Local councils increasing business rates

4. Employment law is against the retailer

5. Health and safety law is a pain in the a.. and costs them money

6. They have to endure shoplifting and theft from staff, and of course the odd window break

7. They are now used as a showroom for people buying on the net.

Just about all their overheads are going up, apart from maybe the rent which will come down due to oversupply. The net and the bug supermarkets are taking a massive percentage of their business now.

The supermarkets give people what they want, easy parking, cheap prices.

The only survivors will be the clothing trade, people do like to try stuff on, and of course the coffee shops and eateries/pubs.

Feel sorry for the small high street retailer.

Very well put..

I may be slightly biased here, but I am also a realist. I feel there 'could' be a place for bricks and mortar as well as online. Has anyone ever bought something online, recieved it and thought ' thats not quite what I expected' or 'Its not as good as I expected' etc etc? Granted many things don't even need that initial 'tangible' process. But there are lots of things where a Reevoo just doesn't help. And before someone points out the easy returns process for online.... Is it? Is it really?

My main issue is I don't trust the internet. That means I buy very few things from it. The only sites I buy off are well know ones such as Play and Amazon, where I already have an account so don't have to keep on typing in card details. From them I generally buy books, DVDs, CDs and memory cards, which are usually a pretty good price and eay to send through the post. The majority of other things I'd rather see in the flesh before I buy. Clothes - they need trying on. Electrical items - often large, PITA with delivery (usually have to collect any missed items from Bamber Bridge) and can be damaged in transit. Alot of these things you can work a deal out for in 'real life' shops with 'real life' people, who will then come and even set them up for you if need be. I feel safer buying from proper shops - you know where to take them back to if they break - if it's a dodgy site you may well have no comeback at all.

Ooops! Kinda what my comments were referring to.:thumbup:

I also find online useful for CDs, DVDs, games etc, but stick with the big retailers such as Amazon and Play etc

Ebay is also useful if the price is right and the Seller has good feedback etc - but you do need to have your wits about you and use a bit of common sense.

I guess we could also have a similar discussion on supermarkets vs local independents/corner shops. I tend to buy all my groceries and meat at the supermarket, and probably around 2/3rds of my clothes, shoes, small electrical goods etc

At he end of the day I think everyone's situation is different. How far from local shops do you live? How far from the nearest big shopping mall do you live? Are you cash rich, time poor or vice versa? Do you know what you want or do you need advice? Can you have online deliveries sent to work - I know this makes life a lot easier for me when I order from the net.

And finally I will echo the comments made by others - real shops need to offer good service and advise to justify higher prices. I don't need a shop assistant to read what the box says for me!

Ebay is also useful if the price is right and the Seller has good feedback etc - but you do need to have your wits about you and use a bit of common sense.

I treat Ebay as like buying off a market: there's a degree of risk involved.

I agree with what has been said above. These stores must have their business model worked out - you can order the exact same item on the net from the same store for a lower price. I'm after a wardrobe and a local retailer (not a national chain) has the same item on the net for £70 less. How do they do it?

I presume they reckon on X number of people buying in the store at the higher price which offsets the lower internet price.

But PC World is weird - same stuff reserved online is cheaper than the shelf price and all the assistant does is get it off the shelf anyway!

i personally buy everything off the net,with the exception of clothes.Shops are horrible pokey crouded places where swmbo has to look at every last item before buying the first item she looked at it just doesn't happen like that when purchasing off the net,and most shop staff are misserable idiots who don't even want to give you the time of day,net wins everytime for me.........igh stree stores r.i.p.

I don't think internet will ever fully take over - at least not for a long time. Some people actually ENJOY shopping :confused: I don't. I enjoy getting new things, but find it pointless wandering round looking at things I will never buy lol. Thing is, people are quite gullible, and for some money burns a hole in their pocket - so they might go for a shopping trip and buy another 10 items that they just didn't even know they needed! :rolleyes::rofl:

For years now, I have ridiculed my mum for getting her milk from the "milk man" at an extortiante price compared to what Asda and the likes sell it.

She always replies "what will happen if all the milk men stop trading? How does the old person get their milk? The old person with no car, not PC literate.............."

She has a point of course..........we will al be old and infirm one day and having Milk and bread delivered to your door may just be enough to help.

Steve