Wiper Possible Electrical Failure

WeirdKerr

:confused:

Just as i was setting of on a long journey today my front wipers stopped working.....

Went to skoosh my screen and the wipers didnt move (strangely the back one started working when pulling the stalk to use the skoosher)

booked into garage 2moro :rolleyes:

I had checked the fuse though.... seemed ok....

More likley to be sized spindle(s)

My son has just had the same problem, I stripped down the wiper assembly to check the motor, found motor ok, but one of the spindles seized, stripped down greesed up and all now ok

Radiotwo

I would second the fuse point, as I have just had EXACTLY the same thing. there are quite a few posts on here about the water freezing in the pipes if you don't have a strong enough mix :o (I will be using pre mixed during the colder months from now on).

The fuse is one of the little red 10 amp ones, I think it is on the bottom row and about the third bank back from the front (fairly sure there is a diagram in the manual).

The fuses are not always easy to see if they have blown, (and sometimes can seem unrelated to what they actually power if on a shared circuit) disconnect the battery and check them all to be on the safe side (by taking them all out one by one) this will be easier if you have a volt meter with continuity.

Just had the same problem.

Changed Fuse No.15, Its a 10amp mini blade fuse.

Didnt have a spare so pinched the interior light fuse (same rating) to make do and its working fine now.

Noticed at the same time that the pipe which feeds the rears washer is now pi$$ing water over the road. I think the joint has frozen causing it to seperate.

was the 2nd fuse (small 1) :o feel daft taking the car to a dealer for such a small thing....

Don't feel daft mate, at least you'll know the next time if it happens again.

Happened to me as well. fuse was 52p from a VW dealer. i'm a bit miffed there were no spares!

You should have bought spares whilst in the dealer because am sure Halfords charge about £3 or £4 for a couple. Robbing Bar Stewards.

• 2 weeks later...
Try Fuse 15 which is a 10 AMP mini blade.

The wiper fuse arrangement is quite strange, as there are three fuses in the complete circuit. It always seems to be Fuse 15 that blows though.

A little tip. Always defrost and pull wiper blades away from the windscreen before using wipers. If blades are stuck to the screen the fuse will blow quickly.

Screenwash needs to be about 50 50 mix in cold weather.

If all fuses are OK and wipers still wont work, the bonnet switch could be faulty.

I'll have another look at Fuse 15 (I didn't look at this)... My Bad!

Yup F15 or seized spindle/frozen washer liquid.
More likley to be sized spindle(s)

My son has just had the same problem, I stripped down the wiper assembly to check the motor, found motor ok, but one of the spindles seized, stripped down greesed up and all now ok

Radiotwo

I have checked the fuses on my Fabia, and they are all working. I replaced the radio 20Amp with the Front Wiper 20Amp and it made no difference, but the radio worked. I did the same for the radio.

My wife tells me she used Avian water in the washer recently :(, so I am guessing the spindle thingy you refer too has frozen up or seized up.

Being non mechanical minded (although I not scared of fiddling, unscrewing, cleaning, oiling, greasing, putting back even if it takes all day etc.

Being Credit Crunch, I would rather attempt a fix myself before contacting the Skoda Dealer.

What exactly did you do to get it working? Where exactly is this spindle? (under the bonnet or on the wiper mechanism)? What sort of tools do I need? How long did this take?

Else it's off to my very unhelpful Skoda Dealer.... who are only interested in selling me a new car during the Credit Crunch.... :confused:

Edited by Mike_Vrs

Fuse 15 was the problem. :finger:

I swapped the Diesel Contol Panel 10Amp fuse - since I don't have a diesel, is this something that I need. I think the light is more important.

I might just head over to Skoda and get some fuses.

Thanks for the advice on this forum...

Regarding the fuse prices from Halfords - they also sell small sets of fuses, IIRC I bought one of those with a variety of mini-blade-fuses in them, dropped the rest in with the spare tyre box at the time in case of needing them again. Don't forget Stu's site has the fuse panel layout available on it ;)

Just as no one has mentioned it as it's the fuse in these cases, if the bonnet switch that detects the bonnet is fully closed fails then the wipers won't work. Mine failed on my old 04 plate VRS as it had a crack in the plastic which let the damp in giving intermittent faults. It's located near the bonnet catch.

I've checked both fuses 41 and 15 on the off-chance, but no luck.

I filled my reservoir last monday but only with water - which I know is a potentially bad idea...

Mine also has the problem of trying to enable the front washer and the rear wiper starting up.

It's doing my head in!

Any further ideas...?

Cheers!

Newbie Minta

briskoda to the rescue again! Cheers guys, I was hoping it was a fuse & was somewhat worried when the 20A wiper one was intact. A check here & sure enough F15 had gone - swapped it for 4 (light) whilst I get a replacement. The rear wiper going when you wash (pull) is a wierd one - I thought it might be wiring or the switch!

PS I have got a fair propprtion of screen wash in but has been v. cold (-8?)

PPS Is this a good buy? 30 mixed fuses £4

~~30 PIECE CAR FUSE SET 7.5A/10A/15A/20A/25A/30A+TOOL~~ on eBay, also Other Security Electrical, Security Electrical, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 31-Jan-09 22:33:24 GMT)

I've checked both fuses 41 and 15 on the off-chance, but no luck.

I filled my reservoir last monday but only with water - which I know is a potentially bad idea...

Mine also has the problem of trying to enable the front washer and the rear wiper starting up.

It's doing my head in!

Any further ideas...?

Cheers!

Newbie Minta

Yeah, check the bonnet switch, as suggested in the post just above yours! ;):thumbup:

Hi All,

Been through the same sequence as most of you. Front wipers failed, rear wiper running instead, cured with Fuse 15 replacement and now rear washer not working.

Noted comment that rear washer hose has probably detached itself, but can anyone tell me which end of the hose is most likely before I start pulling the car apart, washer bottle end or rear hatch (or possibly a joint at the c-pillar??)

All help appreciated.

Jack

Hi All,

Been through the same sequence as most of you. Front wipers failed, rear wiper running instead, cured with Fuse 15 replacement and now rear washer not working.

Noted comment that rear washer hose has probably detached itself, but can anyone tell me which end of the hose is most likely before I start pulling the car apart, washer bottle end or rear hatch (or possibly a joint at the c-pillar??)

All help appreciated.

Jack

Easy Diagnostic:

Wet nearside rear footwell? Push the nearside rear seat forward, unscrew the plastic clip next to the door opening and pull it forward. theres a connector behind there that will of popped off

Wet Boot? It'll be the Pipe under the boot trim (not sure how to remove this safely, try search

If its not those, pop the bonnet and get someone to use the rear jet while you look. If you see it jushing out under the car from the bulkhead inbetween the air box and the engine cover then its popped off there. One pipe should be dangling, the other will be poking out the bulkhead. Just push it together till it clips.

If thats not it, its under the nearside arch. Again, use the search someone else provided decent instructions for this!

Oh and you can get mini car fuses from maplin for about 50p:

Mini Blade Car Fuses > Maplin