Superb 2 VS Insignia

I've now had the pleasure of viewing both of these cars and this is what I think

The Insignia is way better looking, the inside is better looking as well, the rear space is pant's compared to the Sup2 but no worse than a Passat, which one will I buy, without a drive I can't 100% say, the gut says the VX, the head says the Sup2, the wallet says the VX the heart says the VX.

Where all the negativeness came from is beyond me, the switchgear feels good and not at all confusing to me and certainly not Amstrad as has been said, I don't really think the two are the same bracket of car tbh, but I'd say VW must be worried right now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the heart says the VX

So buy the VX. If not, every time you see a VX you'll feel bad. It's my experience with my current company car. Four years ago I had to decide between the Peugeot 607 and the Volvo S60. My heart, wallet and gut told me the 607, my head the Volvo. I chose the Volvo, and after four years I must admit I was wrong.

It probably seems like a good idea now to buy the Vauxhall because it is new, if you do get one, I bet in a couple of years you will regret it.

I often find this especially with French cars, like the Laguna when it first comes out you think wow I quite like that, could I really stoop to getting a Frenchy car? Maybe I could.

Two years later you see em on the road and they look ****e and you are a glad you didnt bother!

go for a drive and choose on that I say.

Duffelcoat, i can honestly say i disagree with you there. My other half has recently bought a 52 plate pre face lift vectra GSi and tbh i was a little unsure after the reviews and slatings it got on top gear etc but i can only disagree with a lot of it. as far as i am concerned its a nice smooth comfortable car with a good engine, plenty of go and actually handles quite nicely(not the understeering boat that topgear claimed it was). its very sure footed and for the money quite a lot of car :)

by the way its a 52 plate 3.2 V6 GSi with 41k, FVSH, recent cambelt and the last service and mot was a week before she bought it and it cost £4500 from a network Q approved main vauxhall dealer. it also has a good 2K+ worth of tasteful irmscher parts fitted.

Yeah right!

Only joking, each to their own, maybe I am stuck under the VW spell and should try one of the other lot...

Tbh I am a staunch VX man, I chose the Superb because after 20 yrs of VX cars I fancied a change, it's not been a bad decision either, the Superb has been quite a player and I hold a lot of fondness for it, the Vectra is 100% better than the press say it is, for some reason the press are in an anti Vectra thing probably brought on by the fact that nobody has the balls to stand up and say..hey y'know what this isn't a bad car, but I saw the Insignia today and it is one high class hooker, I sat in it and it felt like being in a fighter jet, button everywhere, a seat and headrest that actually fits your back, if you go for a look and have open eyes to it you will say it's a great car, much as I like the new Superb that rear is gonna be the reason I get a VX again, it has none of the elegance of it's dad I'm afraid, that's not to say it's a bad car, cos it isn't it's a fine car, but I think the lure of the VX sex will get me next time, plus my VX dealers are a mile in front of Skoda's and I won't be able to take the Sup2 to VW this time either.

So buy the VX. If not, every time you see a VX you'll feel bad. It's my experience with my current company car. Four years ago I had to decide between the Peugeot 607 and the Volvo S60. My heart, wallet and gut told me the 607, my head the Volvo. I chose the Volvo, and after four years I must admit I was wrong.

I can't believe you feel you chose wrong, I'd have an S60 over any Pug any day of the week, Volvo's are fine lookers and stylish inside.

Just wait til you've done a weekends work, you'll be so pi$$ed off with the knees in your back you'll regret the VX straight away, it matters not who makes it or what toys it's got for our trade, what matters most is how much it earns & how comfortable we can be whilst we do our 12 hour night shifts!

i looked at the insignia last weekend out of interest. It was bloody awful .The interior was cheap and tacky and the seats were grim. Very poor adjustment on the passenger seat - no height adjust and no lumbar. why do manufacturers (incl honda and toyota) think that the passengers are happy to endure an uncomfortable seat ?

the space in the back was terrible - the roof line sweeps down and tall people will hate being in the back. I know the superb is exceptional in the room it offers in the back but the Vx felt typical of previous Vx cars - OK but low rent compared to VAG cars

i looked at the insignia last weekend out of interest. It was bloody awful .The interior was cheap and tacky and the seats were grim. Very poor adjustment on the passenger seat - no height adjust and no lumbar. why do manufacturers (incl honda and toyota) think that the passengers are happy to endure an uncomfortable seat ?

the space in the back was terrible - the roof line sweeps down and tall people will hate being in the back. I know the superb is exceptional in the room it offers in the back but the Vx felt typical of previous Vx cars - OK but low rent compared to VAG cars

swmbo's vectra is more solidly built, quieter, built with atleast the same quality materials and has more toys and little features than my octavia. it also has more room in the back :)

the octavia has no fold out center armrest in the rear(which also opens to reveal cup holders etc), it has no damped fold out cup holders in the rear, doesn't have illuminated sun blinds, doesn't have submarine lighting etc etc etc and this from a low rent bloody aweful grim vauxhall :rolleyes:

Why is that?

I wouldn't think they will want to work on it, and they won't know the car like they do the Sup1, plus for warranty I'd be stuck with taking it to Skoda :mad:

Just wait til you've done a weekends work, you'll be so pi$$ed off with the knees in your back you'll regret the VX straight away, it matters not who makes it or what toys it's got for our trade, what matters most is how much it earns & how comfortable we can be whilst we do our 12 hour night shifts!

That's true.

I agree with the styling of the two, but i'd imagine the sup2 will hold its money better.

Without a doubt, though if you check AT there is a DSG Elegance going for 18k already, it's a demo and several other SE's as well for around that price, but you do get to buy the VX cheaper to start with, I got the feeling this afternoon if I'd been serious I would've got one OTR for 4k less than list at least based on a 22k version.

One local dealer is already discounting the Vauxhall by £3k+

Andy

As above.

Now stop it, you are doing this for the sake of it, I got in it today and the seat was ace, it fitted and the headrest was right at the back of my head giving full protection rather than the 5 inch travel all other headrests I've come across before they stop your neck getting a jolt, I'll agree with the rear headroom but that is the style doing that, besides the last Mondeo was the same and nobody mentioned it, rear leg is poor, but so it is in everything else other than a Superb, all car fimrs give enough sit room but it's the foot room that's lacking, they forget you have to get in 1st, as for the low rent bit, you must be kidding, I didn't find anything to say bad about the inside, all the switches and knobs felt solid and of good quality, I know you're having issues with the Skoda at the moment but there's no need to take it out on the new kid, time will tell if it's a good car or not, but I simply believe when ppl say it's a pile they have an agenda tbh, because I've been in and out of just about everything in the last 27 years including early/mid 80's Audi Quattro's when they were the current event and the Insignia is one of the 1st cars since then to get me think do I like that, yep you heard right 19 yr old hoofing the Quattro about, 80 sport, Scirocco MK2 Golf GTi, Datsun 280Z, being a car cleaner back then did have it's perks ;):D

And to finish, after some dust settling thought tonight the favorite to be my next car is...............................................wait for it.................................................................................................................................................... A Passat

DSG is going to save the day I think, I don't want a manual and while out tonight I had a compare with my mates 140 Touran, his read 35mpg @ 13mph, my Superb was reading 24mpg @ 12mph, according to the brochure the Passat is slighty better on fuel than the Touran, the auto Insignia will compare with my Superb for Lager, and as the Passat is still an eyecatch to me and more available than both the Insignia and Superb at this time a 10-12k purchase makes more sense than an 18k one.

Plus the VW dealer locally seems to be on the ball as well, which helps.

Check out the current issue of car magazine for a group test Superb vs. Insignia, Mondeo and C5.

Personally speaking, I think the Insignia is a nice looking car but not keen on the interior. A bit OTT and I think it might date quickly like the new Mondeo's. Superb's looks classier to me.

I wouldn't think they will want to work on it, and they won't know the car like they do the Sup1, plus for warranty I'd be stuck with taking it to Skoda :mad:

We wouldnt have a problem booking it in for service work (VW main dealer). The Superb II has just as much in common with the 3C Passat as the Superb I did with the 3B. Warranty work would have to be done by a Skoda dealer that is for sure but the service work doesn't.

Discounting is Vauxhalls style as it gives the impression of value for money.

They say we'll retail the car for £20k but then marketing says we'll advertise it for £23k and then say that if you buy it before the end of March you'll get £3k off a brand new model.

It's just the way they work.

Now stop it, you are doing this for the sake of it, .....

, I know you're having issues with the Skoda at the moment but there's no need to take it out on the new kid, time will tell if it's a good car or not, but I simply believe when ppl say it's a pile they have an agenda tbh

no - Im not doing it for the sake of it - honest. The seats were not comfy - obviously a personal thing as we are all different shapes and sizes. I struggle to find a seat that I like - probably due to my bad back and the fact that I am small. The superb was the best seat I found when looking for a car. There is simply no need for Vx to cut corners and miss off the lumbar support from the passenger seat. Especially when they go to the lengths of putting a VAG style 4 -way electric lumbar support on the drivers seat ! (something you will find as standard on the passat !)

Both my wife and I said the interior was not to our taste - like the other poster on here I suspect it will date quickly. I can only describe it as a bit fussy . Maybe I am just used toi VAG layouts !

As for the passat - we looked at it, very seriously as is ticked a lot of boxes for us. The thing that put us off in the end was the interior plastics around the lower dash - too much shiny silver and the seats were not quite right. The SE seats were not shaped enough and the sport seats were too hard. The SE seats in leather were a disacter as we slid off everytime we went round a corner !! (again this could be down to the fact that we are both short ?).

That said I can see why you might go for the passat. I am sure it suits your circumstances and also you are right in what you say about there being lots of good priced used passats out there. Its a good looking motor and I am sure will serve you well. You will love the DSG - especially in your line of work. Its so relaxing to drive !

Maybe the superb is a good choice for you also but at the moment its too new to be in the same price bracket as the passat.

Surprised they did not market it as a Chevrolet, they seem to market everything else as Chevrolet and abroad they've stopped using a lot of their other brands in favour of that too.

Probably because of the Chevrolaewoo association in the UK. In europe i imagine that VX and Opel are far stronger propositions

Why does everyone say the Insignia is good looking, am I the only person that thinks it's totally fugly. It looks bulbous and overgrown, like the designer just couldnt stop adding bits. I have seen one on the road and I couldnt beleive that this was the car that everyone was saying is great looking

True the Superb II looks like a old Megane saloon, but at least it's conservative.

Guest wilkopilko
It probably seems like a good idea now to buy the Vauxhall because it is new, if you do get one, I bet in a couple of years you will regret it.

I often find this especially with French cars, like the Laguna when it first comes out you think wow I quite like that, could I really stoop to getting a Frenchy car? Maybe I could.

Two years later you see em on the road and they look ****e and you are a glad you didnt bother!

Couldn't agree more with the above comment, French cars always loose the appeal after a short time & the same goes for the much hyped Mondano, the Insignia looks great on paper (not sure about on the road..), but will probably always be over-shadowed by the Mondano. I will wait for the Insignia Estate & wait 6 months then buy one for £3.60.

The Superb however, seems to have a little more class & will probably fair better over time.

The thing is every car in the same sector are so alike in driveability, practicality etc.. that it really does come down to personal choice in shape & colour!

no - Im not doing it for the sake of it - honest. The seats were not comfy - obviously a personal thing as we are all different shapes and sizes. I struggle to find a seat that I like - probably due to my bad back and the fact that I am small. The superb was the best seat I found when looking for a car. There is simply no need for Vx to cut corners and miss off the lumbar support from the passenger seat. Especially when they go to the lengths of putting a VAG style 4 -way electric lumbar support on the drivers seat ! (something you will find as standard on the passat !)

Both my wife and I said the interior was not to our taste - like the other poster on here I suspect it will date quickly. I can only describe it as a bit fussy . Maybe I am just used toi VAG layouts !

As for the passat - we looked at it, very seriously as is ticked a lot of boxes for us. The thing that put us off in the end was the interior plastics around the lower dash - too much shiny silver and the seats were not quite right. The SE seats were not shaped enough and the sport seats were too hard. The SE seats in leather were a disacter as we slid off everytime we went round a corner !! (again this could be down to the fact that we are both short ?).

Ahh, I see where you are with it now, I'm a lofty **** myself and I found the seat very fitting, for someone smaller I can see this might be a problem, , as for best seat, I have to say my mates Touran seat is fuggin excellent, and it's a funny thing because when I sat in the Superb 2 I thought the car should have larger seats, I found them to look a bit out of scale with the car, but this would suit you better anyway. :thumbup: