Body Roll... what to do?

MisterGT

Ok Ive had my Octy vRS for a week now and the biggest differance between it and my old Primera GT(apart from acceleration :) ) is body roll. The old GT, for all its faults, had a firm setup which produced little 'bounce' or roll, basically it felt more 'planted' if you get my drift. So whats the best way to get a similar feel for the Octy.....springs, shocks, struts? Finances are a little squeezed due to the purchase so wheres the best place to start? Please bear in mind that my mechanical knowledge is virtually zero so simple answers please :D

I think the answer to your question is "anti roll bars". Stiffer (i.e. thicker) ones will tend to even up suspension loading (hence travel, and therefore roll) from side to side.

Uprating the front one will reduce body roll drastcally, but will tend to increase understeer. Uprating the rear one will reduce understeer, so ideally you need to uprate both at once.

Stiffness is (apparently) proportional to the fourth power of the thickness, so doubling the thickness will increase stiffness by 16 times - so you don't need a much thicker ARB to make a noticeable difference.

When you find the ideal combination please let me know, as I have been contemplating this mod. for a while, but have chickened out of actually doing it ;)

What you need is a little test of a Fabia with uprated shocks/springs to see what difference it makes ;)

Then for the Octavia there's a very wide variety of options available for upgrading that option. I have a front strut brace too which also helps. :thumbup:

• Administrators

Hello Mister GT, I too had a GT...fab cars if a little underpowered for these upstart performance deisels of late.

The GT was very composed but alas I took ownership of a 4x4 before the RS so to me the GT's feel was erased immediatly and now is a distant memory. ARB and braces as the others have said will give the RS a much tighter feel.

I have wished several times that I did not let the GT go, I was robbed really, but thats life.

Welcome to the site.

Hello Mister GT' date=' I too had a GT...fab cars if a little underpowered for these upstart performance deisels of late.

[/quote']

Agreed, good handling, nice interior, 35 HP too little :( and no reasonable way to improve it unless you wanted to spend

According to the Eibach home page, although the Octy 1.8T is not specifically mentioned (but all the others are :) ), the part number is the same as that for the Golf mkIV 1.8T, Leon 1.8 and Audi A3 (although interestingly not the A3 1.8T) .

mine is very stable,yet to get it to understeer on the road in the dry (i am trying,honest)it does have a new OE rear anti roll bar which may have helped and the lower front strut brace too.

i find the biggest problem in the octavia is the bl00dy seats,ok leather is a nice touch,and looks neat but blimey they are slippy,and the sliver(pun intended) centres are as smooth also.think its time for some non slip rubber patches on the **** of me jeans

Try UKMKIVs. The Eibach Octavia kit is very similar if not the same as that for the Golf.

Be absolutely sure of this Rich.....I thought there was some differences in the mounting of the front ARB between RS and "normal" Octy and this may be true inter brands (Skoda, VW, Audi, Seat) and intra-models (Golf, Leon A3, Octy).

Not saying your wrong though. ;)

Be absolutely sure of this Rich.....I thought there was some differences in the mounting of the front ARB between RS and "normal" Octy and this may be true inter brands (Skoda' date=' VW, Audi, Seat) and intra-models (Golf, Leon A3, Octy).

Not saying your wrong though. ;)[/quote']

I stand corrected.

The Octavia Eibach kits supplied to JBS are R32 fronts and Golf rears.

I stand corrected.

The Octavia Eibach kits supplied to JBS are R32 fronts and Golf rears.

OK, so I've finally got this right because they've been fitted today :D

The front is straight off an R32 (the same car which kindly donated the engine for the Golf MK2 in last months PVW if you're interested). The rear is one half of an Eibach kit.

I've only just had a run back from sunny Chesterfield and the car feels more planted, very stable but I can't really say too much as it's dual carriageway all the way back. But in about ten minutes were off to Manchester and from here that means going over the Snake :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...