Booming noise at 70 - 80 Mph

Can anyone help me with this problem i am now experiencing with My Mk11 Octavia Vrs TDI?

At speeds between 70 and 80MPH there is a considerably loud Bomming noise in the car. This initially ws thought to be a wheel being misaligned. Had four wheel alignment completed and everything is within spec. Wheel balacing was also checked and two front tyres replaced. So these can be discounted.

Since called to the Skoda dealer and they confirmed that it's not a wheel bearing.

The problem has only been occurring since i had a sensor replaced under warranty two weeks ago. My engine management has also been showing and has now disappeared after check on Skoda Diagnostics.

What is the cause of the Booming noise it's now driving me mad a motorway speeds.

Skoda dealer has contacted the main importer in Ireland and they have had nothing like this previously reported. They are now going to Skoda Direct to enquire.

I have the same car, same problem, has been getting more noticable over last 5k. Like a low pitch (slow bladed chopper in the distance) not continuous drone of tyre noise. I am sure that it is a wheel bearing, have been in enough cars with bearings on the way out to know. Will be interested where you get to, am looking at getting to the stealers to get the bearing done along with the irritating hissing noise behind the dash when the aircon is on.

Could the sensor/ECU scenario be corrupting the DPF regeneration to the extent that it is doing a regeneration more than it should be. Regen does produce extra exhaust resonance. Does the tailpipe get very hot; should normally only be warm?

Do you also have a vibration that comes into the cabin? If so it sounds like the same problem I had. Seemed to start around 75mph, I can only describe it as a loud thrumbing noise. It got so bad I could feel the backs of my calfs shaking:rofl: I could also feel vibration in the arm rest and through the drivers seat.

My Octy went back to the dealers 3 times for bearing, suspension and wheel/tyre checks. No problems were found.

I will add that the vibration was a bit better after replacing the rear tyres. Have you checked them, especially the inside edge?

I've seen one or two other threads on here reporting the same problem. try a search.

Sorry I can't be of help.

I have the same car, same problem, has been getting more noticable over last 5k. Like a low pitch (slow bladed chopper in the distance) not continuous drone of tyre noise. I am sure that it is a wheel bearing, have been in enough cars with bearings on the way out to know. Will be interested where you get to, am looking at getting to the stealers to get the bearing done along with the irritating hissing noise behind the dash when the aircon is on.

Had this same noise with my wifes VRS , i was convinced it was rear wheel bearings having changed more than a few in the past but it was actually the rear tyres , although they still had almost 3 mm they were slightly out of shape , according to tyre fitter its common on some front wheel drive cars, couldnt complain too much they had done over 30k

Bomming noise???? can you elaborate on that. is it like a knock or a bang....

It's a booming/dronning noise that is appears in any gear at 70 to 80 mph or 2250 - 2500rpm. definatley not a banging or knocking noise.

Had this same noise with my wifes VRS , i was convinced it was rear wheel bearings having changed more than a few in the past but it was actually the rear tyres , although they still had almost 3 mm they were slightly out of shape , according to tyre fitter its common on some front wheel drive cars, couldnt complain too much they had done over 30k

I have a new set of tyres on the front and the back have only 10K on them as i already had the issues with the tyre wear on the insides. Had the bearings checked and alignment checked.

Do you also have a vibration that comes into the cabin? If so it sounds like the same problem I had. Seemed to start around 75mph, I can only describe it as a loud thrumbing noise. It got so bad I could feel the backs of my calfs shaking:rofl: I could also feel vibration in the arm rest and through the drivers seat.

My Octy went back to the dealers 3 times for bearing, suspension and wheel/tyre checks. No problems were found.

I will add that the vibration was a bit better after replacing the rear tyres. Have you checked them, especially the inside edge?

I've seen one or two other threads on here reporting the same problem. try a search.

Sorry I can't be of help.

Cheers have already experienced the joys of the inside tyre wear. Dealership checked the bearings for play and no joy.

Could the sensor/ECU scenario be corrupting the DPF regeneration to the extent that it is doing a regeneration more than it should be. Regen does produce extra exhaust resonance. Does the tailpipe get very hot; should normally only be warm?

I have already mentioned to the Garage that the car hasn't been running 100% since they replaced the sensor under warranty, and the Engine management light has only been coming on since that was changes. When they checked on the diagnostics it mentioned warning on some sensor, but they said that this was due to it not being reset since thye completed the job. Sounds funny and not that reasurred with Skoda in Ireland:confused:

Had the same problem. Was convinced it was the rear bearings.. Changed the tyres there recently, noise gone, nice quiet cabin again...

Tyres did 34K and and i suspect with the rear camber the tyres may have gone out of shape a little causing the resonant, droning noise.

Driving for long periods @ 80mph on a motorway might cause the insides of the rear tyres to heat up considerably and may cause the tyre to go out of shape !!

Just out of interest, try swapping the two new tyres that you put on the font to the rear. It would be interesting to see if this is your problem !!

Hi,

Could be a long shot, and I am not technical but when my DPF filter starts to get 'full' I also get a really annoying booming noise. It's not there when I drive slower or faster, but at the speeds you mention it's there.

To solve: drive in 3rd, 4th or 5th at around 2000rpm for 5 minutes and this starts a complex process where the DPF gets cleaned. (use search for a more detailed description). Either that or boot is at standstill till you reach 4000rpn, and keep it there for 10 mins (used in VW garages to clean the DPF).

Hope it helps.....:thumbup: