octavia 2.0tdi estate

A few basic question on th octavia 2.0 TDI estate.

1. What's the fuel comsumption like as against the 1.9 TDI the official figures show not a big difference but whats it like in the real world.

2. The maxdot is that a trip computer.

3. I have a caravan so will be towing will that wreck the running in period

Any comments appreciated

I've just traded in my 1.9 130 hatch for a 2.0tdi estate with DSG - driven in the same manner, I would get 60mpg from the 1.9 ans I struggle to get 42-43 mpg from the 2.0 over the same regular journey. The two cars a chalk and cheese and a country mile apart in the economy stakes. I would also say that the 1.9 manual felt every bit as powerful and torquey as the 2.00.

As for running in - no experience with this but I would be inclined to get the break-in done without towing - surely this has to be the way to go. The whole point of the break-in is to avoid excessive revs and excessive loads. If you tow a van, you're subjecting the engine to highl loads for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with my new car and 42mpg is good by any standards other than . . . my previous steed which blew it away no problem at all.

Some folks will give me a load of ****e about how much more economical it will be when it's run it - O.K - add about 2mpg to the above but I bet it won't be any more than that!!!

I've just traded in my 1.9 130 hatch for a 2.0tdi estate with DSG - driven in the same manner, I would get 60mpg from the 1.9 ans I struggle to get 42-43 mpg from the 2.0 over the same regular journey. The two cars a chalk and cheese and a country mile apart in the economy stakes. I would also say that the 1.9 manual felt every bit as powerful and torquey as the 2.00.

As for running in - no experience with this but I would be inclined to get the break-in done without towing - surely this has to be the way to go. The whole point of the break-in is to avoid excessive revs and excessive loads. If you tow a van, you're subjecting the engine to highl loads for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with my new car and 42mpg is good by any standards other than . . . my previous steed which blew it away no problem at all.

Some folks will give me a load of ****e about how much more economical it will be when it's run it - O.K - add about 2mpg to the above but I bet it won't be any more than that!!!

I'd never expect the 2.0 to get as many MPG as the 1.9, but you're not comparing like for like.

The estate is slightly bigger and heavier than the hatch so that's robbing you of a MPG or two, also the DSG is robbing you of a few more because of the additional weight of that (over the additional weight of the estate).

You'd have to be driving a non-DSG hatch to make a fair comparison!

And another thing... assuming the 130 means 130bhp, your 2.0 is only pushing out 10bhp more, so it's no mystery as to why you can't feel a power difference between the two!

If you went from a 105bhp 1.9 to a 140bhp 2.0, I think you'd notice much more of a difference then.

I agree with everything that's been said. The DSG saps fuel and the 2.0tdi isn't a patch on the 130 1.9 on fuel either . Add the two together, throw in an estate for a bit of extra lard and you're burning serious quantities of extra fuel. It's not bad though when all said and done but I did kind of convince myself that it would be better than it is with economical driving.

The energy sapping nature of the DSG can be better understood when you consider it holds 6 litres of oil for starters:eek:

When lifting off at 60mph in top, the decelaration in the 1.9 manual was barely noticeable and it would just roll for ever. Do the same with the DSG and the brakes are almost redundant as you find yourself peeling your eyeballs off the windscreen!!:D

I've just gone from a 105 tdi hatch to a 2.0 tdi Estate (with 8k on the clock) and I only get approx 5mpg less on a run (now about 55mpg) and the same on a 40 mile sprint up the M5 (48 instead of 53).

Can't speak for town driving as I don't go to any, but I have a very gentle driving style and usually cruise at 70mph on the motorway.

The 140 is a huge power increase though..

Cheers!

For the record, I've got the 4x4 variant (heavier than standard estate, possibly comparible to the DSG estate?) and I manage to get approx 50mpg on a good day on a motorway commute.

I get an average 54-55 MPG out of a 1.9 pd 105 manual Estate, the Skoda Brochure quotes a combined of 55.4 and 47.9 for the DSG model.

For the 2.0 140bhp manual is quoted at 51.4 combined and the DSG at 47.1.

You can't always go by the stated figures, but the 2.0 manual has a better MPG than the 1.9 DSG.

With 68K miles on the clock my 2.0TDi estate is returning 51mpg (real world not computer). If you are going by the trip computer, then mine usually hovers around 60mpg for my daily 30 mile (motorway/local roads) commute.

There is very little in it when it comes to the real world.

The 2.0 has a six speed manual, the 1.9 has a five speed.

The 2.0 is a 16V engine, the 1.9 is an 8V engine,

The 1.9tdi engine in the octy2 is a 105BHP engine, not 130BHP. The 2.0TDI is 140BHP.

The maxidot is indeed a sophisticated trip computer, but it does a lot more besides and allows you to change some of the cars settings that would nornally need vag-com. Most models come with a basic trip computer (MPG etc.) which is on a standard LCD display. The maxidot improves on this setup with a better display and full menu system.

Im like mannyo, rarely drops below 50ish average.

From my past experience of running in diesels (Ive had five now) you wont get the best fuel consumption until its done around 20K miles.

My Octavia Estate and the better halfs Fabia VRS both shot up after this mileage.

As for towing, Im not sure about this, but generally the advice for running in a diesel is dont treat it too gently. Dont let it labour too much but dont pussyfoot around.

From my past experience of running in diesels (Ive had five now) you wont get the best fuel consumption until its done around 20K miles.

Does it tend to stay constant after that then?

Yes, consumption on mine still up around at least 50 average. Now done 113k with no difference. Engine still as good as new regarding performance and oil consumption as well.

had the car for 4 years from new and very pleased with, just about to order a new one.

I've just traded in a Superb 1.8T for an Octavia 2.0TDi. The Superb regularly returned over 40mpg for me, so I must drive pretty economically - I'll be intrigued to see what the Octy does per gallon.

My manual 2.0TDI estate gives me 45-55 mpg depending on driving style - according to the OBC.

I can get it up to 60+mpg on a long run if I'm gentle. Most driving gives 48-50.

I wonder why the MK2 does not get the same good economy as the MK1, do they waigh more

if not shurly if the have the same engins but slightly more BHP they should have around the same consumption