Can I kick it with the big boys? well standard VRS?

Jmii

OK I don't know where to start. I haven't got a clue about cars I mean I can change a wheel and do my checks before a motorway run but I couldn't chance the oil myself. (although I did invest in the haynes handbook)

Now I had the Bora 1.9 TDI the 6 gear version with the red DI letters lol (showing how clueless I am) Loved it to bits as it was, it looked mean and drove just as mean!

Had it 7/8 years got side swiped which wrote it off. I needed a car for my work so I didnt have time to pussy foot around. I knew Skoda's have the same engine as VW. I'd seen a few nice fabias in traffic, so I brought the first 1.9 tdi I found from a Skoda dealer with low mileage 30,000. after that I dicided to google skoda forums and found you guys :thumbup: thats when I realized I should have held out for a VRS. From what I see posted all your cars look mint but the VRS looks good from factory. Mine is the "comfort" I have to say it looks like a proper granny car. Which can be good sometimes when people pull up in the wrong lane and think they can be cheeky. :D They get a nice little shock.

"Skoda is like a wolf in cheap clothing"

OK back to my comfort, I dont like the front bumper would want something like the VRS style (I know it's not a VRS) also the wheels are soo small they look like they have been taken of a shopping tolly!

I see you guys posting about fitting this and that turbo kit, stage 1 and what not,:confused: It all goes over my head. If I had a VRS I would follow the links and see about adding it to mine but because mine is not VRS I'm never sure if it would work?

End of the day I'm not made of money but I would like to improve a little on the look and performance.

(I dont want a spaceship looking thing I hate them modded Corsa lol) I like the standard VRS look and I wouldnt mine adding a little basic turbo just so I can keep up with a stanard VRS.

Is that possable?

Unless I could have the vRS before I sold the comfort, its not an option. I need it day in and day out.

Any work I get done to it would be over weekend at a push I can borrow a car for max of day or two. So all that kit you mentioned any chance of it working on my comfort? is the engine not the same just vRS better tuned? (remember clueless?:doh:)

Nothing wrong with the car you have. If it's the 1.9TDi it already has a turbo, and 105BHP compared to the 130BHP of a standard VRS. So not that far behind for general every day sensible driving.

If you change the front bumper and add alloy wheels, the insurance will go up. Save the money for diesel and just enjoy it.

It depends on how much you want to spend ;)

A remap should get you up to pretty decent numbers without having to spend *lots* of money.

vRS wheels are available here every once in a while.

The front & rear bumper would need changing, and that is not the cheapest, but it can be done :)

If you are able to sell it and buy a vRS instead though, that would be cheaper - although getting insurance on a mapped PD100 is easier than a mapped PD130 (vRS) so it seems ;)

Either way, I'd read up on the options, check out insurance and cost a bit and take it from there. It is a personal choice :)

The vRS (I believe) gets a bigger turbo and injectors to hit 130, plus a stronger clutch to cope. I think the 105's can be map'd up to IRO 155bhp and the PD160 intake can only help this. I would presume that the vRS will also have better suspension, being the 'sporty' model, and hence more capable to utilise the extra performance, but again, there's no reason a Jabba RARB won't benefit your car. The vRS also benefits from a closer ratio 6sp, whereas I think you'll have a 5sp 'box. I must admit, I'm not a fan of making lesser models look like their elevated siblings, it seems so fake. By all means, tinker with the power, but I wouldn't try to make it look like a vRS when it plainly isn't. IMHO

Thanks for all the help, I think I will do a remap and get some cheap alloys any wheels look better then trolley wheels. The bumper will have to do =)

Well I still have to pay of the loan I got to buy this car so in about 6 months I might think about trading it for a vRS.

front bumper conversion is around £250, based on 2nd hand bumper, respray and new foglights, etc.

Remap as stock will see you up to 140bhp (ish), but if you wanted to throw around £2k - £2.5k at your engine, you can see the same levels as a remapped fabia vRS, i.e 180+ bhp. :) Just need the injectors & turbo off a pd130 or pd150 (150 is better turbo) and uprate the clutch.

It's genuinely pointless spending money on yours. Trade it in now, get the dealer to pay off your outstanding finance as part of the trade-in. It's very common for them to do that.

or

Instead of spending hundreds bodging a Comfort, pay off the finance early and buy a vRS. There are plenty about and the dealers are very keen to do deals at the moment.

Hi, also, as far as I can tell from reading posts here and other modders forums - if you get your car remapped, you'll get stung on insurance for a 'modified' car more than you would on the 'stock' vRS. I agree with V5-Steve, you'll spend more getting yours to vRS standard than you will on a vRS.

Regarding the need for a car non-stop, you might be able to wrangle a courtesy car if you get your current dealer to find you a vRS, or maybe a hire car?

Hi, also, as far as I can tell from reading posts here and other modders forums - if you get your car remapped, you'll get stung on insurance for a 'modified' car more than you would on the 'stock' vRS.

Not entirely true, there are lots of factors that insurance companies consider, My old vrs cost more to insure than my current modded diesel with about the same BHP and loads of mods, well less than 1/2 of what my vrs cost to insure.

I agree with V5-Steve, you'll spend more getting yours to vRS standard than you will on a vRS.

Certainly true, although my insurance is much less it's cost me more to build this car to what it is now than it would have cost to buy a vrs but wheres the fun in that and it's nice to be different.

Having had a Fabia vRS for 3 1/2 yrs, I would go with - get the real deal, dont do fake.

Even if you wait til youve paid for current car & px for a 2nd hand vRS, it will be worth the wait.

A std car with cupra intake will do day to day very nicely ( as with your current car ) along with being able to have a bit in reserve to overtake, and put a smile on your face, as the right foot gets a bit heavy sometimes .

The Fabia vRS is a great car if you want a bit of clout, but dont want to spend time & money to give it a lot of clout.

I would defiantely say that a remapped furby is a wolf in sheeps clothing, provided you dont go the whole body kit route.( mine was remapped to 180bhp)

In many ways I'm in the same boat. I have the 1.9TDi in an Elegance model, and while I originally wanted to add a vRS kit and a remap, I've decided I'm not going to bother. Just a decent set of alloys, then that's it, no more mods. I've spent enough on it. To quote V5-Steve, 'Never build a car you can buy'...kind of wish I'd heard that one long before now.

I'd love a vRS, so I'm thinking I'll trade the Elegance in for a late (06 or 07) one in a year's time. It'll give a much better platform for (sensible) mods than the Elegance.

Only thing is, I love having cruise control and heated seats, so my vRS would have to have that...cruise can be retrofitted though :P

Well I gotta say thanks to everyone for there reply's. I've asked 3 questions on this forums and I've never known a forum to give so many reply's with help normally they just let it sink off the front page and I'm non the wiser to my question.

Back on subject I can't ask the dealer to help finish of the payments on the car as it was a family loan. I actually have 12 more payments to make lol, but after so many of you sayying get a vrs i was really thinking of ways to tighten my belt and do it in 6 payments.

Well I kinda have good news sorta..... I've gone from part time work (25.5hours) to full time (37.5hours) so that means more money to help towards my vrs.

With the insurance in my bora which I think was 130bhp well it was 6 gears so it was deffo faster then comfort. The cost of a year is the same even tho Im slower and dont have alloys now? so i think vrs will not make it go any higher untill i do remaps and stuff =)

RSIMPS I wish i knew of this forum before I brought the car I would have had urs in a heart beat! I ended up payying 3,750sqiud for a comfort 52 reg 30,000miles. (but was a skoda dealer so year cover and year rac)

If for some bezare reason you still have that car in 6 months to a year, and still wanna sell...... I wont buy it lol gotta be dodge if u cant sell a vrs within a month! =)

Well for now I think im gonna keep an eye out for cheap 17" wheels. Wont hurt the value of the car when I come to sell =)

Thanks again guys for all ur help.

I didnt let the garage have chance to clean the one I bought! They had just got it as a trade in from a local woman, I test drove it, looked round and bought it. I have seen a few low milage cars for under £6000. You would hope they would have full service history like mine. The one I have has had its services done on time not miles. I contacted the previous 1 owner and she works 1 mile from her home in the local butchers. Its been serviced by the original dealer from new. I dont think the garage guy had one in before and realised he could have added 1k to the price after we had struck a deal. He had about three people after it over the weekend.