Testing the Auto Dimming Interior Mirror

On the back of the mirror, pointing to the windscreen, there is a little hole. Here is the front lightsensor. Just cover this hole and use a flashlight to point at the sensor in front. It is next to the green led that should be activated by the little knob on the bottom of the mirror.

The mirror should become dark (greenish).

I like to 'test' (play) with mine by looking in to the mirror in the dark, then switching the interior light on. As the light hits the sensor the mirror starts doing its auto-dimming and goes a dark greeny sort of colour. Its impressive to watch as your face changes colour before your eyes, its almost like some sort of weird advanced aging thing going on. Switch the light off to restore your face to normal colour again.

Yep...its not a car....its a TOY!

NB: Don't try this while driving!

trust me, you'll know if it works.

Go out at night, get someone on your tail. Hit the on off button on the mirror and compare the difference.

When it kicks in, its subtle but very effective. Sometimes i have wondered if it is working.... till i turn it off and see what the mirror is really seeing.

Ok, dumb question, does this auto function device mirror (no pun intended) the simple angle flick switch at the bottom of normal mirrors that helps stop rear headlight glare?

Yes it has the same effect.

I'll be honest - I think these are not all they are cracked up to be - for one very simple reason.

Whilst mine does dim, and effectively stops glare from rear view mirror, the side mirrors don't dim, so you still get the glare from those, especially when being tailgated.

My Skoda 11 has auto diming mirror and also auto diming side mirrors.Dogs b###ix.!!!I thought this was standard on the Elegance.

JB

it is !!

but i dont think the side mirrors dim very much. i actually wonder if mine are not working but i dont mind as i found them a pain in a previous car - i found it difficult to tell which lane an approaching car was in on the motorway and ended up turning them off

does anyone else find the little green LED distracting ? I do ! on a previous car i covered it with tape but the mirror was black. In my cream elegance I think black tap woudl look silly !! can you get cream electricians tape ?

I tried my car last night in a dark garage, with the help of a flash light

(not FLESH....:P), and both, the inside mirror, and those side mirrors, dim quite much, actually. I didn`t even know that my car has those dimming side mirrors !! Cool.....

:thumbup:

My Mercedes has auto dim rear and drivers side mirrors , had to buy a new lens for the drivers side as the electrolyte leaked out and the mirror has a tide mark cost .....£180!!!

The side mirrors use the same sensor,the one on the inside mirror,and that's a disadvantage if you want window films.Another disadvantage is that if you have someone with high beam on your right side,the left mirror will dim as well resulting in poor visibility.Even though,I never turn this option off,and I think it is worth the money.