Project minter gti

Monkey Boy

Managed to get a lot done today.

Replacement doors off Copie were stripped ready for fitting.

Dashboard removed so i could grind away at the rust on the windscreen chanel.

P1000756-1.jpg

P1000757-1.jpg

Got the normal rust on the top of the drivers sill where the door seal joins.

P1000758-1.jpg

Removed the immobiliser while i had chance and tidy up the loom.

P1000755-1.jpg

Doors removed complete.

P1000754-1.jpg

New doors fitted but drivers requires a lower door pin as slight play in it.

P1000760-1.jpg

P1000761-1.jpg

Also picked up a set of rims to fit when it's in the body shop.

P1000762-1.jpg

Most of the car is stripped now just a couple of wires at the back then brakes at the front. All that leaves is the sunroof and head lining.

Heater system all removed now.

P1000766.jpg

Stripped everything out of the boot lid. Quite a bit of rust on the window channel so may replace the boot.

P1000763.jpg

P1000764.jpg

Fitted the racing steels as well.

P1000765.jpg

Hopefully get a bit more done in the week as working local for a change.

Car will be staying white as took me long enough to find one.

Wings turned up today but drivers is a bit crap so using the partern wing that was already on.

Bonnet placed on to check wing gaps.

P1000769.jpg

P1000768.jpg

Modified the drivers side front G60 arch and figured out what needs to be removed out of the standard arch.

P1000767.jpg

Managed to get a bit more done tonight.

Front wing now modified to a G60 wing.

P1000772.jpg

G60 front arch trim modified and fitted. All fits perfect.

P1000770.jpg

All it needs now is one hole drilling for the small trim. Looks a bit wider than the standard arch trim.

P1000771.jpg

Hopefully try to get the other side done friday if the weather is ok.

The G60's come with wide track suspension so the plastic arch trims are 11mm wider each side on the front and 4mm each side on the rear to even things up. Top section of the wing was removed to stop the tyre hitting it and the top part of the arch trim has no lip for the same reason. Enables me to run wide wheels but put the standard arch's on without any issues.

Passenger side G60 arch modified. Wing modified and arch fitted.

P1000773.jpg

Spent ages tidying the garage to enable me to work on the engine while it rained.

Started to strip and clean the engine.

P1000774.jpg

P1000775.jpg

Took a trip out with Biglad to see Gary in stafford to pick some bits up for his mk2.

While the dash was out i changed my stalks for a set of mint ones with no play.

P1000776.jpg

Power and engine looms removed.

P1000779.jpg

Started to clean the engine bay up a lot.

P1000777.jpg

P1000778.jpg

Not bad for the first go. Loads of little bits that are hard to get at to do.

Think the wings were a bit of an after thought.

Got all my paints for the engine, gearbox and other items so did a test paint on the gearbox rear alloy mount.

Gave it a good clean and then used POR15 metal ready then POR15 silver engine paint. Only one coat as got to wait 24hrs until you can put on the second coat.

P1000782.jpg

Started to clean a bit more of the engine and box. Box has so much thick dirt on it.

P1000780.jpg

All my bits have turned up so i can tidy up the loom.

Good work, My mates breaking his Mk2 VR at the moment, its a black 90 spec if you need any of those annoying to get bits gimme a shout and I'll have a nose and see what he's got.

Amazing work indeed! Exactly the sort of project I'd love to do - and the finished result of a mint Mk2 valver will be so nice to own too, and will only appreciate if kept in immaculate condition.

Complete respect! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Back at home for a couple of days so got stuck in.

Collected my Milltech 4 branch i won off ebay for £82.01 :)

P1000783.jpg

Picked up my wheels from VW. G60 steels but getting them banded to 8" front and 8.5" rear.

P1000785.jpg

Managed to remove the power steering rack and pipes so i can clean up and paint the subframe.

P1000786.jpg

Hopefully pick up my boot lid i won off ebay this week.

Picked this up on sunday as a run around :eek:

IMG00029.jpg

66k miles from new and like a new one.

nice project, coming on well, how do you clean up the engine bay so well?

I think its probably too late, but i have some g60 wings and arch liners in my garage i think.....let me know if you were interested.

By the way what engine are you putting in?

The wheels on the cab look a lot better in real life. Tried to get a set of centre caps from compomotive for them but they laughed as the wheels were produced in 1974 and rare as dodo droppings.

I clean the engine bay by soaking it with white spirit to clean the dirt off then t-cut to remove the ground in dirt.

Collected my boot lid again in works time and fuel. One good thing with working all over the place. Standard engine is going back in as went well enough. Would be interested in the G60 arch liners as arch's are all done now.

Rust free boot lid with the wiper and washer holes smoothed plus a tinted GL window that i can sell on.

P1000788.jpg

P1000789.jpg

Rust free bargain at £49 taking into account the cost of smoothing i was getting done anyway.

P1000790.jpg

cheers for the tips, when im ovr at my parents in a few weeks i will see if i cant find those parts.

So how comes you are not tempted to fit another 20vt in place?

The 20v was fun but the 2.0 9a 16v with the 1.8 kr cams in was a far better alround package. 20v spent to much time smoking the tyres.

I do have another mk2 shell that i may put a super charged VR6 in as i have loads of parts to almost make another mk2.