Rattles!

I have a 170CR Man Elegance.

Anybody else notice "rattles" on their car? I had a mk1 superb and that did not rattle at all until it had done lots of miles.

I have 2 distinct noises:

1. Behind the dash in between the climate control unit and towards the steering wheel

2. The rear armrest

The ride is harder than I thought it would be so maybe that contributes.

Any comments welcomed!

Nope. Mine is quiet at a mouse. This is in contrast to my Superb I, which was a rattly thing right from the word go (as was my Octy vRS).

The only noise I've had was with the passenger side speakers. One of the cable clips to the speaker wiring was loose, and it vibrated at certain frequencies. Fixed by my local dealer in about 20 minutes.

Bagpuss.

My rear bench had a squeek when going over bumps with sideways motion, however last week I carried two adult passengers in the back, each probably weighing 16 stone plus and the squeek has now disappeared!

Dan

I have 3 distinct rattles which are getting louder and has already been logged for its first service only had it 10 weeks and got nearly 12 thousand on clock (not a taxi) there is one rattle in each door around the speaker area same spot same volume and sound plus the glove box door has a serious rattle on it.

I also have a vibration type noise at a certain rev range but only sounds for about half to 1 second in each gear range.

Any one else got these?

SNOB

I have a rattle at the passenger seat,something in the backrest moves at every bump.I also have a rattle at the front passenger door and a rattle at the right back door if I play music loud.The last rattle may not be a rattle,but when I change the climatronic ventilation (eg. From feet to head,or when it auto-changes)there is a rattle.

interesting to note all the people with rattles have the elegance model - maybe those 18" wheels and very low tyres are causing it !! LOL

get some small rims and tall rubber like me to absorb the bumps !!! LOL

Good point :rofl: We all have the 170 CR Elegance..First it is because of the alloys,and secondly is because we have too many extras fitted in such a "small" place so that they touch each other and produce the rattles :cool:

Now,seriously speaking,in my case I am expecting for that climatronic rattle to dissapear when my new Columbus will come(it was stolen and the sound comes from that big empty space).The door rattle can be easily fixed by using a Double Sided Tape(or some foam) because the door panel is touching the metal part of the door when music is playing,and it looks like the seat rattle is gone.

...and the roads around mid herts are absolutely bloody awful.

I can second that as I live in Welwyn Garden City. I'm still waiting to wreck a wheel on my Roomster disappearing down one of the hundreds of potholes in Hertfordshire. My brother lost a tyre on his old vRS due to one of them.

They occasionally fix some but the repairs are so p1ss-poor the holes come back within a few months.

I pick up my new Superb next weekend and I'm glad I've only got 17" alloys on it as some of the back roads which I use regularly are diabolical. Maybe I should have waited for a Yeti and got it with the smallest rims fattest tyres available!

Ah! Someone else from WGC.

We got our Superb on 1/12/2009 - and, apart from the car Dealer I have yet to see another new Superb on the roads - anywhere. The nearest I get is a guy in Old Hatfield with an "old" Superb who parks near my office. So it will be nice to see another Superb around Welwyn! :-)

We have 19" wheels - but are careful and have not had problems yet.

I note they are doing major repairs to the "New" "20th Mile Bridge". AGAIN. That must be about the 11th time they've done major repairs to that Bridge since I moved to WGC 32 years ago!

Before that repair it was absolutely bloody lethal. The "old" bridge doesn't seem to fall apart nearly as often.

We had one nice surprise yesterday. They have finally (properly) fixed the appalling road surface on the Roundabouts each side of the London Colney M25 exit. They were also a major disgrace - and had been for ages.

A.

Ah! Someone else from WGC.

We got our Superb on 1/12/2009 - and, apart from the car Dealer I have yet to see another new Superb on the roads - anywhere. The nearest I get is a guy in Old Hatfield with an "old" Superb who parks near my office. So it will be nice to see another Superb around Welwyn! :-)

Yup, as rare as rocking horse do-do, which, quite frankly is annoying - I wanna see more. Gives it exclusivity I suppose! Saying that, seeing another Roomster is hardly a regular occurance either!

I did see a new black Superb in the car park of the new office building opposite the Shredded Wheat factory. I almost got out of the passenger seat of the car I was in to take a look but didn't fancy the walk back to my office in the centre of town!

When I've had the car for a few weeks do you fancy meeting up to compare experiences? It would be nice to meet a fellow Superb owner. PM me if you're interested rather cluttering up this thread about rattles!

I know I am going to regret saying this but:

My 170 CR Elegance does not rattle.

We have now done 9k miles and the roads around mid herts are absolutely bloody awful.

A.

Mine is also a 170CR Elegance, and not a squeak or rattle to be heard (even on 18" wheels, Jonathan).

It's the first new car I've had in the last 12 years which has been rattle and squeak free. The last one was my first Impreza Turbo back in 1996, which may have been a bit agricultural inside (this was before they realised that folks other than farmers were buying them), but it sure was well screwed together.

Bagpuss.

AJB1 do you park in the offices around the corner from Supertyres in WGC as i see a 58 plate when i go past to deliver.

AJB1 do you park in the offices around the corner from Supertyres in WGC as i see a 58 plate when i go past to deliver.

You're talking about the Superb I mentioned in a previous post! I didn't realise it was a regular resident of that car park. Maybe I should pop down and have a snoop around... and get arrested for loitering around the best car there! :D

The cover of the front lighting/switch 'pod' in the roof buzzes in my Elegance. I can press it around a bit and it stops. Until I hit the next pot hole...

• 3 weeks later...

Got the car back today after warrantee work on the rattles all sorted I think, cables not secured in both doors and sat nav cable not secured in the dash board and glove box rattle gone.

Yahooo oooooo silence at last,