early results - mixing 2-stroke oil into derv

Basil

Although fair points are raised about additives, I still have the servicing sheet by Skoda in Newbury who twice used injector cleaning additives according to their charges for the servicing, which by definition should not be used according to the manual and SUK policy.

PDs do run at pressures that make a lot of oil crack under the pressure (no pun intended) and I'd be cautious :)

Although fair points are raised about additives, I still have the servicing sheet by Skoda in Newbury who twice used injector cleaning additives according to their charges for the servicing, which by definition should not be used according to the manual and SUK policy.

PDs do run at pressures that make a lot of oil crack under the pressure (no pun intended) and I'd be cautious :)

What oil does it make crack...diesel or engine oil ??

OK I have dug deep and found the bottom line from a huge study done in the USA and Europe.

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil

Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)

HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement

200:1 ratio

16.64 oz/tank

$1.09/tank

As it's April 1st, I am tempted to post that I took a whizz into the diesel and MPG jumped to 127MPG while 0 to 60 dropped to 2.3 seconds. That would be the whiskey kicking in then :rofl:

What oil does it make crack...diesel or engine oil ??

All oil has an EP factor, and if that factor is exceeded the oil molecule chains break down, and the oil turns into a horrid sticky goo. EP=Extreme Pressure.

2T oil is designed for use in two stroke petrol engines, fairly low pressure by all accounts.

Diesel PD Injectors work at up to 2,000BAR (30,000PSI) and I doubt if any 2T oil molecule would survive that kind of pressure.

I've looked through a lot of the forums on this topic and i haven't come accross any posts that claim that this has caused damage to their engine.

Bottom line is, no one actually knows whether it's good or not, but the mass number of positive reports would suggest that there is some benefit.

You will be telling us next you can't use Veg oil in in a PD

You can't use veg oil!

The cod molecules present in waste veg oil have a weak compression tolerance (around 1.5 bar tops!), which will batter the cam lobes and your engine will be totally fishcaked!

You can't use veg oil!

The cod molecules present in waste veg oil have a weak compression tolerance (around 1.5 bar tops!), which will batter the cam lobes and your engine will be totally fishcaked!

:rofl: :rofl:

Then there would be a few bones to pick!

To be honest the interweb is full of crap.

You can always find something to discredit or promote something else.

I dont know if this is good or not but if i wanted to suggest either way it would be easy to do by just searching for a positive or negative.

And then of course there are those who have a vested interest that would want to sway the idea either way, really i dont know if this is a good idea of not.

I guess the only way it to see how those who have used this oil have got on after a few years, and havent ruined their engine or got introuble with the manufacturer.

It certainly didn't take the brains of NASA to invent it.

Oddly enough it nearly did ... it was Bosch actually and the engineering of the PD system was very advanced for its time.

Now that common rail is replacing PD in future VAG designs it will matter less anyway :-)

Who's bloddy idea what this!!

Ive put 2T in my tank, and now my engine is quieter, I can here the relays clicking and door cards squeeking!!

I put 4 shots of a 50:50 mix of Millers and 2T.

Better mpg, and much quieter. but, my boost gauge says im boosting higher!

Its spiking at 1.7 bar !

Which I guess is because of the increase centane level burning better and hotter in the chamber.

Also, weather is cool and very damp, which will help cumbustion.

Dave

added in at 12.25 03 apr 09

I'm not entirely sure that this is a good idea. A lot of information on this web site talks about the high pressures involved in the PD injection system and the importance of good quality fuel. I would be more than willing to give this a bash in an indirectly injected diesel engine (Peugeot 306 TD, the old diesel engine in the Skoda pickup) but am reluctant to try it in my PD engine due to doubts in my mind about the pressures that the 2 stroke oil can withstand. Given that it was intended for 2 stroke petrol engines which have hardly any compression in them at all, I'm not sure how it will deal with the pressures involved in PD injection.

I understand that a few members on here ran biodiesel in their fabias without any problems (against Skoda UK's advice) and hope that the same happens here. I just don't want to be someone who ends up with a broken car because I tried something without thinking it through or waiting first :)

If after a few thousand miles a lot of people who have tried it still have all of the benefits and no problems, I'll be willing to start putting this in my engine. For the time being I can't afford the risk and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else until I was certain that it's fine.

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm still going to stick with my normal diesel with the occasional shot of millers. After you've all ran it for 20k miles with no problems I might then give it a shot ;)

Edited by yegnold
Decron objected (Correctly) to my relatively unhelpful post

I'm still going to stick with my normal diesel with the occasional shot of millers. After you've all ran it for 20k miles with no problems I might then give it a shot ;)

What a useful post :rolleyes:

Been watching this thread with interest and as usual with these things you get people splitting into the ones who will give it a go for the greater good, the ones who just say snake oil and the ones who stand ing the background going oooh ill try that if it's safe, you go first..... I also find it interesting the amount of posters that seem to know everything but say very little

1. Oil companies won't put stuff like this into their product from scratch because it won't be right for everyone and it will put the price range of the product out of the reach of most people so it wouldn't sell.

2. Car manufacturer do have lab facilities at their disposla to see if you have run x additive but the cost of doing this will be far greater than paying out on a claim. I know this I used to work in such a lab.

3. Also it's worth clearing up what the cetane rating means: Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay; the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels. Cetane numbers are only used for the relatively light distillate diesel oils. For heavy (residual) fuel oil two other scales are used CCAI and CII.

4. It doesn't mean it will burn any hotter, it may but it doesn't mean it will. I also cannot see 2 Stroke oil increasing the cetane rating.

In short, if your up for it have a go. You may find benefit, you may not. The risk with this this is the same as anything else, it's a risk.

However I would suggest getting you feet wet before telling people the water is too cold.

Edited by Decron

What a useful post :rolleyes:

Been watching this thread with interest and as usual with these things you get people splitting into the ones who will give it a go for the greater good, the ones who just say snake oil and the ones who stand ing the background going oooh ill try that if it's safe, you go first..... I also find it interesting the amount of posters that seem to know everything but say very little

It *is* useful.

It's by no means certain if this will have any potential side effects so it's entirely sensible for people to "wait and see" before risking hundreds of pounds worth of damage to their car.

What's wrong with them saying so here?

It *is* useful.

It's by no means certain if this will have any potential side effects so it's entirely sensible for people to "wait and see" before risking hundreds of pounds worth of damage to their car.

What's wrong with them saying so here?

No it isn't. How is it any more useful than not saying anything? There is nothing wrong with anyone saying it but it doesn't contribute to the discussion at all.

"I may try this but you check it's safe first...."

Why post that at all?

Edited by Decron

I posted what I did because I felt like the only person that had displayed any objection to the use of 2 stroke oil in our diesel was MoggyTech. It seemed that lots of people were straight out ignoring his input (which was admittedly far more useful than mine given that he did research and spoke to SUK about it) and were giving it a go just because of the 'amazing effects' described in this thread.

Me saying I'd 'wait and see' was my own way of saying 'I'm not entirely sure about this and don't think it's necessarily the best idea'. It certainly wasn't posted just for the sake of it. Perhaps I should have made my point a little clearer.

I will modify the post now to try to make it more useful - but make it clear what the original post was so that your objection posted at 11:19 still makes sense.

However I would suggest getting you feet wet before telling people the water is too cold.

Well said.

Going back and looking at that study that Moggytech found, it measured the wear on the surface of a ball-bearing running backwards and forwards in the fuel/additive mix, I'm not sure anyone can infer from that the effect on the way the engine actually runs.

As for 'the petrochemical companies being ahead of the game', that is surely codswallop. Unless you mean that they are very good at producing fuel which passes minimum standards at a minimum cost/price point. Why would BP and Shell bother with their 'ultimate' ranges if they were already making the best possible stuff?

Gonna try some Silkolene myself, there's a bike shop in Hockliffe that should have some I'd imagine.