early results - mixing 2-stroke oil into derv

Basil

This may seem like an odd question, but why would 2T oil be any less tolerant to high pressures than diesel oil? Especially when it's 1:200 ratio.

Why would Millers be more tolerant?

My point is, if it said on the bottle "2 Stroke Oil - Great for cleaning Diesel injectors!", a lot fewer people would question it, despite there being no more evidence to suggest if it's actually harmful or not.

Thats what I thought at such a concentration....

Does anyone know the ingredients of millers ???

Also it has been mentioned that diesel and 2 stroke emulsify does anyone know what effect this has on the 2 stroke or the diesel.

I've been running Millers for ages, ran out two fill-ups ago. On vanilla Shell the car now feels like it's running on coal :(

Have you tried other fuels though? Are you filling with shell because 1) it was available when you needed it, 2) brand loyalty or because of rewards, or 3) because your car runs better on it than others (tesco, BP, total etc etc)?

When engines run so badly, they're usually saying they arent happy on what your feeding them. My Octy doesnt like shell at all, bp so so, and Sainsbury's better than most round here (without driving too far to get fuel). Works car gets what it gets so I can get some points :D

Also remember that your ECU will have adapted if your running millers and fuel. After a min of 3 tanks free from the stuff, the ECU will rebalance and run better. This is what happens when the ECU has been flashed by the dealer, or after mapping. After the ECU dealer update, ours tool 4 tanks to get back to normal. Ran badly and terrible MPG during the 4 tank flush.

Back to the 2T stuff, I'd be worried about the higher boost long term.

Done about 250 miles now. Only had a half tank, so only put 100ml of 2T in

A bit quiter, starts easier, definately a lot smoother at idle though. It used to be a bit rough, almost like it was miss-firing.

Got to agree with Bas though, definately pulls stronger at low to mid range revs, less 'jerky' on and off the power in low gears. MPG has gone from 55mpg to 59mpg, although that was only a single journey. Will see how the long term MPG goes this tankful

Still smokes like a mofo though, but its still early days :D

Have you tried other fuels though? Are you filling with shell because 1) it was available when you needed it, 2) brand loyalty or because of rewards, or 3) because your car runs better on it than others (tesco, BP, total etc etc)?

But surely you know that they're all the same stuff from the same refinery? ;)

I use Shell because they are invariably the cheapest. However Tesco's get a look in when doing 5p off a litre, and Morrison's when in a spot as they are nearest.

But surely you know that they're all the same stuff from the same refinery? ;)

I use Shell because they are invariably the cheapest. However Tesco's get a look in when doing 5p off a litre, and Morrison's when in a spot as they are nearest.

They all add different stuff to their fuels. So not always the same stuff.

Round these parts shell are always more, BP the dearest

Regards to smoking..

I either use Shell, Sainsbury or Jet stations.

Shell diesel makes my car smoke, Sainsbury's seems to be decent stuff and Jet diesel makes it run lumpy, but it seems to go faster, and only smoke on wot ( although using wot in the skip makes you sh!t your pants,,,,)

I think I'll give the 2 stroke a miss, and stick to Millers thanks.

I think I've found a plausible explanation as to why two-stroke oil apparently makes the engine creepily quiet...

By now we all must know that the higher the cetane rating (up to a point), the shorter the ignition delay.

It follows that, as a two-stroke oil with a petroleum, vegetable or semi-synthetic base will increase the fuel's cetane rating, ignition delays will also be shorter.

In the engine, fuel spontaneously ignites shortly after injection begins.

During this delay, the fuel is vaporising and mixing with the air in the combustion chamber.

Combustion causes a rapid heat release and a rapid rise of pressure, of which the latter is responsible for the trademark diesel 'clatter'.

Upping the cetane number can lessen the amount of 'clatter' by decreasing the ignition delay.

This is because less fuel has been injected by the time combustion begins and it has had less time to mix with air. Consequently, the rapid pressure rise, along with the resulting sound wave, is smaller.

I think I've found a plausible explanation as to why two-stroke oil apparently makes the engine creepily quiet...

By now we all must know that the higher the cetane rating (up to a point), the shorter the ignition delay.

It follows that, as a two-stroke oil with a petroleum, vegetable or semi-synthetic base will increase the fuel's cetane rating, ignition delays will also be shorter.

In the engine, fuel spontaneously ignites shortly after injection begins.

During this delay, the fuel is vaporising and mixing with the air in the combustion chamber.

Combustion causes a rapid heat release and a rapid rise of pressure, of which the latter is responsible for the trademark diesel 'clatter'.

Upping the cetane number can lessen the amount of 'clatter' by decreasing the ignition delay.

This is because less fuel has been injected by the time combustion begins and it has had less time to mix with air. Consequently, the rapid pressure rise, along with the resulting sound wave, is smaller.

I think it may be a case of "all of the above". IMO it'll have a small effect on everything it touches. So it probably helps with injector noise and changes the ignition profile and lubes the bores reducing clatter.

J.

He has probablly got a brew of 2T ..millers...and water/meth bubbling on his stove right now.

Hubble bubble, t'oil and trouble? :rofl:

What are the theories as to possible (harmful) effects on the cat of adding 2T to fuel?

Sorry if this has been answered before (in which case read kitty!)

Hubble bubble, t'oil and trouble? :rofl:

What are the theories as to possible (harmful) effects on the cat of adding 2T to fuel?

Sorry if this has been answered before (in which case read kitty!)

Really depends if the 2T oil is bonding to the diesel and being fully burnt during combustion. If it is merely hanging in suspension, then over time, a clogged CAT might happen.

Diesel is a heavy oil anyway with some lubrication properties (less now it's ULSD) but that drop in lubricity has been solved with the 2% Bio Diesel that's mixed in with UK diesel.

It would really need a chemical analysis to see how the 2T is mixing with the diesel. Plus combustion flame front speed comparisons, metallurgy wear test of cylinder bores, cetane ratings etc. etc.

All I know is my BLT engine is very quiet, even at idle, running on vanilla diesel, be it BP, Shell or Jet. So I for one don't fancy trying an internet myth on my engine, and certainly not while it's still under warranty. :rotz: