Fastest car you have seen use its power on the road?

I was going to work the other day and I had a Mercedes sitting on the rear of my seriously high performance Diesel Mondeo Estate ;) and he was a bit keen to get past. I had actually being getting a move on as was late, and I think he wanted to demo that I was actually holding him up. I pulled onto a dual carriageway round a sweeping left and moved accross after I got past a lorry expecting a sales rep in this average merc to come past soon after. This thing literally must have gone from about 80mph up to XXXmph in a few seconds. It was ridiculous. I "caught up" at the roundabout as he had to slow (and stop I should add!) and I was dying to find out what it was. I think I am right in saying it was an 09 plate Mercedes AMG CLS 63. I think it was a soft top. EDIT< actually I'm not sure can't remember now. Now...am I exagerating or are these cars really that quick? Maybe it was modified?

Anyway, this got me thinking, when was the time you would say you saw a car go faster than anything you have seen on the road before? This would probably be my number 1 to be honest.

Edited by coursemyhorse

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was once doing in excess of 155mph on the Autobahn and had an AMG on my chuff. When I moved over he went past me like I was stood still :rolleyes:

They are stupidly quick and the Black editions are even quicker again

Carl :thumbup:

I joined a long, straight single carrigeway 'National Speed Limit Applies' road from a roundabout behind a 1.6 Zafira which then tootled along @40 (ish) so, held back, checked my mirrors - all clear apart from a small hatchback so far behind I couldn't recognise it. Dropped a cog or two & floored it past the Zafira, looked in rear view mirror and, yes, there is the Zafira receeding nicely & then I was overtaken like I was standing still by a green hatchback, ('M' reg I think) never saw him in the rears - he was just a blur. Must have been well into three figures. Gobsmacked that anything could go like that. Gobsmaked again that anyone would drive like that on a public road - or am I just jealous, don't know. Impressive though.

an X5, think it was the 4 or 5 litre thing whatever size it is, we were at some traffic lights before a slip road to motorway, i knew he wanted to be in my lane but thought no way, lights went green i floored it but before i could change gear he was on the slip road, on the motorway and away before i even got on the motorway myself, my fab vrs never seen so slow, never thought id see a big car move that fast

A porker Cayenne Turbo full bore off the lights on a hot sunny day up Kensington Park Road. Genuinely never seen something so large move so quick.

The X5 could have been a 4.8is

Also saw a black McMerc SLR join the M25 junction 9 in front of me a while back, estimated speed? warp 9ish I think :rolleyes:

A porker Cayenne Turbo full bore off the lights on a hot sunny day up Kensington Park Road. Genuinely never seen something so large move so quick.

I've been behind one on the m40 after a sudden stop- he went away very quickly. The quickest? Probably an RS4 I was a passenger in.

I know it's small beer compared to what's been discussed here so far, but mine** was this weekend in my mate's MINI Cooper s Works. stuck to the road, acceleration like I've not experienced in a car before, AND it sounds like the DeLorean from Back to the Future.

**I know - I've led a sheltered life :o

Was travelling between Brecon and Llandeilo (somewhere along that route) and had a Lamborghini Murcielago behind me. I was pushing the fabia and making very decent progress indeed but was holding him up all the time - eventually i gave him a blink of the indicator to let him know he was OK to go past and I wasn't going to do anything silly, he floored it and made it feel like I was going backwards :D

The two black evo's from the castle coombe track day, on the way home, I didn't even see them coming.

They just scared the crap out of me at about 150mph on the M4.

And I been in a M3 at full steam in 5th not 6th as apparantly it's limited in 6th. We were moving lets just say that :eek::eek:;)

I've only ever seen quick cars like M3, M5 giving it the beans on a public road. I've been passed by 911s, Koenigsegg, Lambos and Ferraris but supercar owners seem to be a tame lot.

Fastest I've been on a public road in a car was 130ish in a rally spec Audi Quattro when I was about 5 (1982).

Might have gone a little faster on 2 wheels :D

Gallardo Spyder in Preston city centre, 0-50ish then slam on for the speed camera!

Hehe... I have witnessed that game many a time myself. The best one was a big Rolls Royce Phantom that was barreling along at what must have been 70+ (in a 30 zone!) then anchord on for the speed camera then blasted up again.... but then I looked in my mirror and noticed that he missed the second speed camera :rofl: Bye bye license!

never really see fast cars being driven fast on roads; sat in traffic the other day and saw some new Aston Martin come off the roundabout in the opposite direction, nearly opened my window to listen to it but assumed it would be bimbling along so didn't bother...even with the windows closed and the stereo on the sound of the thing as it went spanking past was immense :thumbup:

came barrelling up the back of a 335 coupe at some miles per hour and still accelerating, at which point it simply drove away from me without any fuss whatsoever :D

came barrelling up the back of a 335 coupe at some miles per hour and still accelerating, at which point it simply drove away from me without any fuss whatsoever :D

Are they the twin turbo'd ones? Pretty nippy.

Classic mini with a Honda Civic Type R engine in...i was in my fairly highly tuned 1380 mini following them into a National Speed Limit, i gave my car the beans and obviously so did mr Type R mini - needless to say, despite my car shifting at quite a rate - i may as well have had the handbrake on :P

MPM :D

We were in my friends 200 Vi when a 360 trundled up behind us as my mate caned it out of a 30 limit to see if he could stop him getting passed... needless to say he needn't have bothered!

I've also come upto some lights to see a TVR Sagaris (?) snake away from them before I got chance to stop! That sounded nice...

Last year we watched a large amount of the featured cars give it the beans leaving Goodwood after the Supercar Sunday Breakfast Club.

Always an excellent sight, spoiled by the boys in blue and their speed gun. :thumbdwn:

I can remember doing approx 140mph on the autobahn in Germany and pulled over to let a Merc that was gaining on me pass before I overtook the next car.

When the thing went past it felt like I was in reverse as it disappeared into the distance so fast. :eek: