Audi style led lights

Have you considered CCFLs. Instead of the 'look at me' spangly LEDs the CCFLs give a more subtle solid line of light.

Angle eyes are CCFLs but difficult to fit as you generally have to get the lens off the front of the headlamp, but if you use 4" CCFLs and some DIY to make them sealed then you can do this......

29080.attach

29081.attach

29082.attach

29083.attach

Have you considered CCFLs. Instead of the 'look at me' spangly LEDs the CCFLs give a more subtle solid line of light.

Angle eyes are CCFLs but difficult to fit as you generally have to get the lens off the front of the headlamp, but if you use 4" CCFLs and some DIY to make them sealed then you can do this......

Apply a blue tint and watch the traffic part in front of you..!

They don't look to bad to be honest. :thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.

I really like these CCFL in the pictures, where can you get these from?

Thanks for the comments, always nice to hear.

For those who want some info, this is what you need to do what I did.

2 sets of sharkoon 4" CCFL kits (used for 'modding' PCs) - sandrabitsandpieces on ebay (3.49ea)

2 x 500mm x 6mm ID 10mm OD acrylic tube - clearplasticsupplies on ebay (99p ea)

15mm Heat shrink tubing - Maplins

2 small metal boxes (I got them from Maplins)

Wires, connectors etc

On the vRS the small covers either side of the centre lower grill are ideal places to fit them, not sure where you'd put them on a non vRS front end though. Also these parts are really cheap if you get it wrong and want to go back to standard.

The CCFLs come in a light weight acrylic tube with big acrylic cubes glued on the ends. You want to get rid of these as they don't finish them off at all well. I carefully hacksawed them off.

Using the 10mm tubing, cut the relevant length, insert the CCFL and then using the heat shrink you can cover the tube at each end, hiding the untidy ends of the CCFLs and the wires so the only part you see is the illuminating area.

Important consideration is to make sure everything is watertight. The CCFLs operate at high voltage, and even though the current is low, if any water gets in there then it's all buggerred. So pay attention to seal the ends of the tube with silicone sealant. They also get quite warm, but don't worry, it's not too warm and at the front of the car they get a fair amount of ram air cooling anyway.

Mount the completed tubes in the side grills (quite tricky to drill out holes to pass the tubes through but not impossible) then run the wires to the inverter (that powers up the CCFLs) that you need to house inside a small box which again needs sealing. Again, the inverter can get warm but don't worry but make sure it's all sealed as water will kill them.

Then get 12v to the inverters. Sounds easy, but that was the hardest part. I wanted the CCFLs to be on with the ignition, like daytime running lights, but I just couldn't find a switched 12v feed in the fuse box in the engine bay. All sorts of strange things went on, feeds changing from switched to perm, some feeds going from 12v to 3.46v. In the end I ran a feed through from the fusebox in the end of the dash panel. One day I'll find one...

If you've any questions, drop me a message, or if you're local to Buckingham, pop round.

I can post some pictures of the installation if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the comments, always nice to hear.

For those who want some info, this is what you need to do what I did.

2 sets of sharkoon 4" CCFL kits (used for 'modding' PCs) - sandrabitsandpieces on ebay (3.49ea)

2 x 500mm x 6mm ID 10mm OD acrylic tube - clearplasticsupplies on ebay (99p ea)

15mm Heat shrink tubing - Maplins

2 small metal boxes (I got them from Maplins)

Wires, connectors etc

On the vRS the small covers either side of the centre lower grill are ideal places to fit them, not sure where you'd put them on a non vRS front end though. Also these parts are really cheap if you get it wrong and want to go back to standard.

The CCFLs come in a light weight acrylic tube with big acrylic cubes glued on the ends. You want to get rid of these as they don't finish them off at all well. I carefully hacksawed them off.

Using the 10mm tubing, cut the relevant length, insert the CCFL and then using the heat shrink you can cover the tube at each end, hiding the untidy ends of the CCFLs and the wires so the only part you see is the illuminating area.

Important consideration is to make sure everything is watertight. The CCFLs operate at high voltage, and even though the current is low, if any water gets in there then it's all buggerred. So pay attention to seal the ends of the tube with silicone sealant. They also get quite warm, but don't worry, it's not too warm and at the front of the car they get a fair amount of ram air cooling anyway.

Mount the completed tubes in the side grills (quite tricky to drill out holes to pass the tubes through but not impossible) then run the wires to the inverter (that powers up the CCFLs) that you need to house inside a small box which again needs sealing. Again, the inverter can get warm but don't worry but make sure it's all sealed as water will kill them.

Then get 12v to the inverters. Sounds easy, but that was the hardest part. I wanted the CCFLs to be on with the ignition, like daytime running lights, but I just couldn't find a switched 12v feed in the fuse box in the engine bay. All sorts of strange things went on, feeds changing from switched to perm, some feeds going from 12v to 3.46v. In the end I ran a feed through from the fusebox in the end of the dash panel. One day I'll find one...

If you've any questions, drop me a message, or if you're local to Buckingham, pop round.

I can post some pictures of the installation if anyone is interested.

That is an good post there, cheers for all the time you put to it.

i'll give it a go as i think it looks class now.

I think I'll post these instructions as a new thread, but here are a couple of extra pics showing closeups of the installed CCFLs. Sorry about the dead flies!!

29193.attach

29194.attach

29195.attach

The Inverter 29196.attach

The bare CCFL 29197.attach

Hmm they do actually look quite good.

Now i got a dilema as to wether to have LED's or CCFL's. Im thinking the latter at the mo

Instructions would be good Milnei if you can PM them to me or post a link to the thread when done that would be great.

Carl:thumbup:

SuperSkoda project needs at least 500 orders to arrange the production of their evil eyes.

Yesterday, I asked them for the number of orders that they have and 40 was the response.

Wow, wait 460 orders more!. (They started this ad at 2008)...30 years more I think.

Looks great. I considered using just one CCFL per side and mounting them in the same place but since the Sharkoon kits come with two I decided to have the pair each side.

I like your work though. Have you considered having them on all the time as day time running lights?