New Skoda "Bluesport" Roadster concept?

I found this while having a look a Skoda concept cars:-

skoda_compact_roadster.jpg

I think it looks great! Does anyone know if this car will definatly make production? Apparently, VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda will all produce one of these mid engined "bluesport" cars and they will have a choice of petrol and diesel engines.

If it does make production the Skoda version will no doubt be the cheapest out of the VAG cars but any ideas what the pricing will be?

Its about time Skoda produced some purely sports type cars anyway. I hope it becomes a reality.

Edited by roo
changed url tags to img

I think I prefer the Seat version - although like the Skoda one pictured above its a photochop and quite unlikely to ever happen....

seat_small_roadster_preview_001-0202-950x650.jpg

Actually, VAG have been playing around with the idea of a roadster / sportster for a decade now (and I;ve been waiting all this time...)

Broadly speaking, the chronology is somehting like:

In 1999, there was the Seat "Formula" concept:

1999_Seat_FormulaConcept1.jpg

1999_Seat_FormulaConcept2.jpg

1999_Seat_FormulaConcept6.jpg

Then in 2001 there was the Seat "Tango" concept:

2001_Seat_TangoConcept1.jpg

2001_Seat_TangoConcept3.jpg

2001_Seat_TangoConcept4.jpg

In 2003 there was the VW Concept-R:

2003_Volkswagen_ConceptR1.jpg

2003_Volkswagen_ConceptR2.jpg

2003_Volkswagen_ConceptR7.jpg

Then it all went quiet and we were told the project had been stopped.

The EcoRacer appear to seed the idea of a diesel engine. This went as far as being driven on Fifth Gear. This car was much smaller than the others and I don't think it was from the same lineage...

2005_Volkswagen_EcoRacerConcept1.jpg

2005_Volkswagen_EcoRacerConcept4.jpg

Then the Bluesport emerged:

2009_Volkswagen_BlueSportConcept1.jpg

Then the Seat Salsa rendering (not, afaik, an offical concept):

seat-salsa-artists-renderings-img_1.jpg

And the Skoda rendering above.

On top gear they said that VW has said there is a 60% chance that they will make that car... although doubt it will look quite so stunning.

Looks very Audi TT-ish though!

Actually, VAG have been playing around with the idea of a roadster / sportster for a decade now (and I;ve been waiting all this time...)

In 2003 there was the VW Concept-R:

2003_Volkswagen_ConceptR1.jpg

The Concept R by the looks of it became the Eos

kw-vw-eos.jpg

And that Seat Salsa pic looks like it's based on the same car as the Skoda version in the first post, and just as much a photoshop.

The Concept R by the looks of it became the Eos

Pedant: Actually, the EOS was based on Concept-C:

Volkswagen-Concept-C-up.jpg

And that Seat Salsa pic looks like it's based on the same car as the Skoda version in the first post, and just as much a photoshop.

Yup, the last thing to be seen in the metal is the Bluesport. Everything after that point is a render based on the Bluesport press images. I think I even recall seing an Audi "R1" idea mooted, but just like the Porsche 914 idea that's been kicked into the long grass because nethier of those companies are interested in it.

Aside: the Bluesport, just like the Passat and the new North American car to sit between the Passat and the Jetta is based on VW's modular chassis technology. This means that the track, wheelbase can be easily changed, even though it's still the same "platform."

• 1 month later...

Form what I can gather we'll get a decision at the Frankfurt motor show which is only a couple of weeks away. In fact, that motor show's going to have a lot of VAG stuff going on. Launch of the MK5 Polo being just one of the things...