Fly Eyes Kit - Mongrel's rear lights get tinted. Pics

devonutopia

Well, after seeing a car with this Fly Eyes kit on, I had to get it done on the mongrel. The kits can be found on Ebay searching for "flyeyeskit" (all one word as I found)

This isn't a normal type of tint though. It's actually a very fine honeycomb pattern which from not too far away, looks like proper tint. :thumbup: Here's some pics of me doing the mongrel's back lights.

The before shot. Just the usual facelift back lens'

DSCN2751.jpg

And lens' out :D (plus some wheels/tyres that need sorting out asap :o)

DSCN2752.jpg

Lens' given a thorough clean & dry inside (essential!)

DSCN2753.jpg

Offering one light up to the roll of film. Plenty of overlap needed.

DSCN2754.jpg

The honeycomb tint just pulls away from the backing like a sticker

DSCN2755.jpg

One lens pretyy much done

DSCN2756.jpg

A comparison of before & after

DSCN2757.jpg

Part way through the last one. Is quite a game of patience and perserverance ensuring it's all on flat - plenty of times it had to be lifted and relaid in places, and once I took the whole thing off and started again! :rolleyes: Material is easily removed which makes it ideal

DSCN2758.jpg

And both done....

DSCN2759.jpg

... and back on the mongrel. I love it! :thumbup:

DSCN2760.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the ebay listing below, did you use the darker or the lighter tints on your vRS? 'Black 1' or 'Black 2'? I think using the red tints would look good on the vRS and would be less likely to bring us to the attention of the police

This method seems to be the old Tights over the lens trick but using an adhesive film instead. I don't see a problem with the legality of the tints, as long as light gets through okay, they'll be fine.

Bob.

FlyEyesKit:Car Headlight Tinting:Tail light:Smoked tint on eBay (end time 23-Aug-09 20:36:20 BST)

Seems to suit the mongrel but not for me i'm afraid....and besides that sticky holey stuff would be a nightmare to get flush on lumpy pre-facelift lights :rofl:

How are the reflectors Jason, dont forget to be legal you must have reflectors that work from a certain distance, its not just the bulbs that need to be seen.

So basically light stretching tights over the rear lights then a'la 1990, cool.

Same thing I was thinking of except it's not to my liking. Personally I would have used a tinting spray.

So, to be clear.

That stuff is totally legal to have on your back and front lights?

I wonder if it is legal to have it on your windows?

I imagine it would cause problems winding them up and down...

For robbied:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FlyEyesKit-Car-Headlight-Tinting-Tail-light-Smoked-tint_W0QQitemZ220457279826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3354472152&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by amateurstuntman
Adding link

Jason i like that very much seem similar done DIY bodge style with tights and looks very good

can you post a link to the kit?

regards rob

Ahem, post number 4 perhaps? :P Tut tut for not reading the whole thread first. :D

FlyEyesKit:Car Headlight Tinting:Tail light:Smoked tint on eBay (end time 23-Aug-09 20:36:20 BST)

I'm still not 100%, but shall give it some time to let it soak in. Hoping the black of the tint on the rear screen helps it to merge in a bit. Easy to just peel off - leaves no residue either. :)

Last year we were asked to 'test' a set of lamps by the local Police that had been tinted and surprisingly they failed and the guy was liable for the damages to his own car and the car that drove into him............:o

Also funnily enough one of my CAD Contractors did this on his Elise and a White Transit van has now re-arranged the rear end for him............:o

Just my 2p..........:thumbup:

I'm still not 100%, but shall give it some time to let it soak in. Hoping the black of the tint on the rear screen helps it to merge in a bit. Easy to just peel off - leaves no residue either. :)

Would look pretty damn good on a black car, especially it had tints and dark wheels - now let me think :rubchin: