Handbrake cable issue on my VRS

fireman

I take it there should be these release springs as standard. Just checked my Fabia and neither side has the springs. Recently had the rear brakes changed but this explains why the handbrake does not work. How it passed an MOT i do not know.

I take it there should be these release springs as standard. Just checked my Fabia and neither side has the springs. Recently had the rear brakes changed but this explains why the handbrake does not work. How it passed an MOT i do not know.

No that's the point they aren't fitted as standard to the Fabia vRS. They are fitted as standard to other cars with these calipers in the VAG range though.

They are only a couple of quid each and take 5 minutes to fit the pair with no need to jack up the car etc...

No that's the point they aren't fitted as standard to the Fabia vRS. They are fitted as standard to other cars with these calipers in the VAG range though.

They are only a couple of quid each and take 5 minutes to fit the pair with no need to jack up the car etc...

I think that the correct way to say this is "No they are not fitted to any VAG cars that share this platform - they are used along with different callipers on bigger/longer cars in the VAG range". I've always guessed that it was the lack of "stiction" on the cables on the smaller/shorter" cars that VAG thought made these springs unecessary on new cars - could be wrong though!

• 11 months later...

Thread revival - sorry!

Just replaced wife's late 2002 9N Polo 1.4 16V 75PS SE 106+K miles with a new 6R 6C1 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL - and yes I have fitted a of "7H0" external return springs to the rear calliper!  It took a few minutes and bad words, I obviously forgot what I did about 6 years ago!

• 1 month later...

Just fitted rear caliper springs which I thought had been taken off anyway just squeezed them together used a plastic tie to bind them then fitted them, big thanks for this thread. Good price on the springs cost under £5.

Edited by stuart vrs

• 1 year later...
On 17/08/2009 at 18:53, Badger Driver said:

1k0 615 295 left spring

1k0 615 296right spring

i had this problem, these are part numbers of an audi a3, they fit on to the rear handbrake lever to pull it off fully, i'll post pics up soon

Only just had this problem appear on my 2004 VRS. Ordered the part numbers on Ebay from Rainworth Skoda - £9.98 including VAT and 48hr tracked delivery.

Took literally 5 minutes to fit both sides without jacking up the car and the problem is fixed.

Great thread :)

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello All,

Greeting from Bulgaria!

My Fabia vrs mk1 is suffering from this problem. Good thing that i was able to find this thread... However, i am facing an issue finding these parts:

1K0615295

1K0615296

There are some ebay.co.uk offers, but to be honest the majority of them seem pretty expensive - 10 pounds without the develiry to Bulgaria..  I can see that some of you have bought those for 2 pounds either the piece or both... It would be possible for someone to from where i could order them for a better price than ebay?

Thank you!

33 minutes ago, georgemilev said:

Hello All,

Greeting from Bulgaria!

My Fabia vrs mk1 is suffering from this problem. Good thing that i was able to find this thread... However, i am facing an issue finding these parts:

1K0615295 

1K0615296

There are some ebay.co.uk offers, but to be honest the majority of them seem pretty expensive - 10 pounds without the develiry to Bulgaria..  I can see that some of you have bought those for 2 pounds either the piece or both... It would be possible for someone to from where i could order them for a better price than ebay?

Thank you!

Try here: https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/search.php?search_query=1K0615295+&x=24&y=6

Copy/paste the text of that link into your browser if it doesn't work for you.

Edited by Wino
link didn't work

3 hours ago, Wino said:

Try here: https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/search.php?search_query=1K0615295+&x=24&y=6

Copy/paste the text of that link into your browser if it doesn't work for you.

Thanks for the hint Wino! Unfortuntaely the price for the shipping was almost twice the springs... at the end i have bought them from ebay.de.

Will post again when i have installed them.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've tagged onto previous topic discussion as it is relevant.

Q1. Would a sticky handbrake cable affect one rear caliper only or both at same time?

Q2 Would a dragging handbrake be responsible for overheating brake disc if there is 'no gap' in the mechanism / lever that is seen when caliper is viewed from rear, or could there still be tension . 

Here is a pair of springs that appear to fit the Lucas calipers? £6 per pair. Worthwhile purchase?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-ALL-MODELS-PAIR-REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-RETURN-SPRINGS-WHC01212AX-/232337791153

Thanks