Update on the spare wheel issue

Without wishing to go over the rights and wrongs discussed on the thread regarding the spare wheel issue on the thread that was locked I thought I should at least post an update on the result for me.

After querying the supply of the tyre repair kit in place of the full sized alloy spare wheel I had several discussions with the dealer who initialy offered to pay half towards a steel space saver, even though they had confirmed the spec I printed out from Skoda's web site that listed a full sized alloy when I ordered the car. They then telephoned to say that the price was not the £50 fitted option but a £150 dealer option. I therefore told them that this to be unacceptable and I as I was getting fed up of discussing it and being told different things I was prepared to cancel the car. When I visited the dealer in person they said they would pay the entire amount for a space saver but said that if the cost of a full sized alloy wheel wasn't much more they would agree to pay for this. However after over a week they said they would only pay for the space saver. When I asked the cost of the alloy wheel the salesman said he would check and phone me back. The difference turned out to be £151 extra for the alloy as he said it would cost £345 for the wheel and tyre.

I have decided to accept the space saver and not cancel the car. Although an alloy wheel would have been preferable I suppose the space saver is a reasonable compromise as I can still get to a tyre centre if I get a puncture that is beyond the repair using the repair kit.

I don't entirely blame the dealer, although they should have pointed out the change of specification when asked as they were informed of it a month previously, as Skoda UK appear to be very slow at updating their web site from where I had printed the specification that I showed to the salesman. In fact I think the specification on the website was still listing a full sized alloy even after the July brochure was published.

Perhaps it would have been better if Skoda had not changed the spec until the publication date of the July brochure.

TBH.... the space save solution to me is a good one anyway... they aint the skinny type spacesavers you see on Fiat puntos etc (ie about as wide as a bike tyre) but a normal car tyre on a larger rim but with a narrower section.

Imagine you had an alloy wheel tyre with the same brand tyre on as the 4 road wheels.

If you had a puncture when the tyres were half worn, you would get it fixed and put the spare back in the boot as you wouldn't mix a new tyre (spare) and the older worn tyre.

If for whatever reason you wanted to swap brands on the road tyres then the spare would either need changed too or again, you would have to put the spare back in the boot once used as it would not match the 4 new tyres you have put on.

So, what would be the point in having the alloy in the first place? It will almost certainly go straight back in the boot anyway once the damaged tyre is fixed.

I know it was more a point to prove (skoda should of been better over this IMO) but all im saying its not the end of the world.

Steve

I'm fairly sure it would have said something along the lines of "specification can change without notice, E&OE".... really, if it's that important, you should have checked before hand.

I'm fairly sure it would have said something along the lines of "specification can change without notice, E&OE".... really, if it's that important, you should have checked before hand.

It does indeed say the spec can change without notice and to check with your dealer. My point was I aware of that disclaimer and made a point of checking with my dealer who told me the spec had not changed even though they had been informed a month previously that it had.

(To quote from my own post

....even though they had confirmed the spec I printed out from Skoda's web site that listed a full sized alloy when I ordered the car.
)

The advantage of a proper alloy spare would have been that if it got damaged but was still usuable then I could have swapped the damaged one as the spare.

Anyway I think this topic is in danger of being done to death, I only felt it was necessary to post an update as it had been discussed at length elsewhere and that thread is now understandbly closed.

As far as I am concerned the matter has been resolved with a reasonable compromise but the whole issue could have been avoided if Skoda UK were better at updating their publicity material even if it was just a slip of paper with changes pasted in the brochures.

TBH.... the space save solution to me is a good one anyway... they aint the skinny type spacesavers you see on Fiat puntos etc (ie about as wide as a bike tyre) but a normal car tyre on a larger rim but with a narrower section.

Imagine you had an alloy wheel tyre with the same brand tyre on as the 4 road wheels.

If you had a puncture when the tyres were half worn, you would get it fixed and put the spare back in the boot as you wouldn't mix a new tyre (spare) and the older worn tyre.

If for whatever reason you wanted to swap brands on the road tyres then the spare would either need changed too or again, you would have to put the spare back in the boot once used as it would not match the 4 new tyres you have put on.

So, what would be the point in having the alloy in the first place? It will almost certainly go straight back in the boot anyway once the damaged tyre is fixed.

I know it was more a point to prove (skoda should of been better over this IMO) but all im saying its not the end of the world.

Steve

???:confused:

I have mixed branded tyres on my car and have had no problems??? I do rotate my wheels though.

Thanks to all who have posted on this subject, especially those that have given advice and have expressed their support. Hopefully others in a similar position will also get a satisfactory result.

???:confused:

I have mixed branded tyres on my car and have had no problems??? I do rotate my wheels though.

I would only mix brands on different axle and would only use the same type of a tyre on the same axle. I would never mix brands or types on an axle as you would have different grip levels from side to side which is a little different to front to rear.

However, I do try and use the same brands all round

I would only mix brands on different axle and would only use the same type of a tyre on the same axle. I would never mix brands or types on an axle as you would have different grip levels from side to side which is a little different to front to rear.

However, I do try and use the same brands all round

Meeh it depends how hard you're pushing it.

Having had an interesting experience in the wet with my Rover 214 when I had different tyres each side I will now only run the same tyres on an axle!

Suffice to say I almost laid a big log!

A 205 width tyre will in my car (But mine's old enough to predate all that 'no spare wheel' nonsense, so it has a full size alloy spare), 225's will probably bulge the boot floor a smidgen...

yes and no IMO...

Having different makes of tyres or differing tread depths on same axle, will not only effect handling but will affect braking too.

Hard on the brakes, especially in the wet would cause one side of axle to grip better than other resulting in a skid to the side or even worse a spin. Maybe different with cars with ESP though, as that may compensate.

Still not reccomended by the tyre experts.

Even when a manufacturer discontinues a particular tyre you still have to make sure that any updated version is compatible with older versions.

Steve

I don't think a full sized alloy fits in the spare wheel well anyway.

I'm told this is what actually happens in the new leon, they will give you a full size spare but it leaves a mound in the middle of the boot floor :)

A 205 width tyre will in my car (But mine's old enough to predate all that 'no spare wheel' nonsense, so it has a full size alloy spare), 225's will probably bulge the boot floor a smidgen...

My F/L Elegance, must have been one of the last to come with a full size alloy spare wheel as standard prior to the gunk being introduced. It is a 16" Crateris Alloy and fits as snug as a bug in a rug. As far as I'm aware, anything larger than 16" will not fit, even though the overall radius is the same.:confused:

Mine's a 16" wheel too. Anything bigger and you'd start losing fillings on the roads around here...

The polystyrene insert with the tools would rattle around in a bigger diameter alloy, but I'd have thought the width of a say 205 tyre was the same regardless of the diameter of the alloy.

My Signum has a Spacesaver, and I had to use it when I had a blowout on the M4. I had to drive 110 miles at 50mph. And put half our luggage in the back seat, as the full size 215/17 wheel filled half the boot!

Did wonders for the fuel consumption, but not much for the handling!

Phil

I've this week had the same problem; between ordering in May 09 and delivery in August, Skoda changed the Elegance spec. Dealer either didn't pick it up or, if they did, failed to tell me. I insisted on having the missing spare wheel and they have promised to supply me as soon as they get their hands on one.

I ordered up a new elegance 2 weeks ago, dealer picked up on the spare and recommended it as a good buy for £50. It should be a full size steel wheel, including jack, wrench, insert etc. The tyre alone would be in the £100 mark so a good option, for minimal cost. I will be keeping my eye open for a 16" crateris alloy, and swop the rubber over. If its not too expensive might buy a new one, £135 was quoted, which seems reasonable, and guarantees no hidden damage, or cracks.