Get it Ready For Winter

MoggyTech

It's not a 1.8T yet sadly :rofl:

Is there much size difference between the polo and a mini? I thought they'd be about the same

Yet! Haha.

Externally, no. Internally yes.

Theres only 4 seats in a mini and not much leg room. (My dad struggled to get out the back). The boots about half as big again on the polo

Yet! Haha.

Externally, no. Internally yes.

Theres only 4 seats in a mini and not much leg room. (My dad struggled to get out the back). The boots about half as big again on the polo

Ohh so it's more of a Fashion statement more than anything! Get her an FGF and you'll be the favourite son forever :)

Ohh so it's more of a Fashion statement more than anything! Get her an FGF and you'll be the favourite son forever :)

Pretty much, yeah. Although, if you just drive around on your own most of the time, theyre built well (apart from the gearstick), drive well. They Are a nice car.

Ahaha. Theres not enough of em to go about though!

Pretty much, yeah. Although, if you just drive around on your own most of the time, theyre built well (apart from the gearstick), drive well. They Are a nice car.

Ahaha. Theres not enough of em to go about though!

I do look down into the minis whilst around town :)

Snow shovel and a jacket is best I ever do really.

Usually prepared as far as the car goes though, you know keep fuel topped up, winter tyres on , all fluids checked and mobile phone charger.

When I can afford it I'll get a set of Skoda wheels from Ebay and a nice set of winter tyres.  If it looks like snow I have a folding shovel plus other bits and bobs that I put in the boot. Beef jerky is probably the most useful thing I carry, certainly the most likely to be 'used' :p

Edited by SkodaKitteh

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of snow shovels , this pack of 2 aluminium retractable snow shovels are £13.99 at Costco

Bargain!

52C9287E-8591-4535-AEDB-D16EF3B4B600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very different round here. Temps are quite regularly down at -20 during winter but can go much lower. My yard, -32 was the coldest it got last summer but at my buddy's place I had to start the car at -43 one day.

Liquids are the same year round and can take it, but you'll need proper winter tires - studded usually, and of course you need an engine heater, either electric one that heats the liquid in the engine block for a few hours before start, or on a tube going to the radiator. In modern cars, the only option may be radiation heater 'glued' to the oil pan bottom.

Most people also mask the front intake holes for the coldest season, some with just cardboard but most cars have optional accessory plastic shields for winter use.

Shout out to my fellow Finland residents! First snow sighted in Helsinki on Friday. It is brass monkeys. Won't be long before we are digging the cars out.

With the shields for the intakes- my Ocatavia came with flimsy shield mats and I was thinking about getting the shiny plastic shields. How common is it, is it worth doing, what is the usage case, are the shiny plastic versions just a cosmetic improvement?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So, ever since I was at university in Farnham (where I needed snow chains at the height of winter in order to get my 1.3 Metro from my digs in Middle Bourne to the centre of town - steep hills were bad enough in the dry, impossible in snow without chains), I've carried essential winter kit.

The current Winter kit bag that has gone into the Rapid boot today consists of:

Snow chains (winter tyres going on next week)

Small fold-up snow shovel

Plastic tyre traction pads

Heavy duty ice scraper/squeegee/brush

Rock salt

De-icer

Small bottle of neat screen wash

Torch

Hand warmers

Blanket

Bottled water

12v water heater element

High viz jacket

That's in addition to stuff that lives in the boot all year like jump leads, spare bulbs, screwdriver, small car cleaning kit, Fault code reader etc

• 1 month later...

Ready and Waiting .. come on snow !

To be honest im completely gobsmacked with these winter tyres

I bought them last year but never used them

Boxing day we had 6" of snow and many problems with ice (no gritting was done)

The Roomster just went any were with these on

I chose 195-55-16 budget winter tyres and they are amazing at £40 each

awdx5w.jpg

2mettlh.jpg

2rr11tt.jpg

120toa0.jpg

roberto1954 - what make are your budget winter tyres?

Fullway Snowtrack  195-55-16  91H XL

i bought 8 because i had 2 cars the same, then i sold one so i still have 4 new ones if you want them

Just out of curiosity. Does anybody actually carry a boot full of clothes, jump leads, etc etc.

I know its probably sensible to, but, do you do it?

It's not a full boot but I do carry 'winter packs' in both my cars - come spring, I chuck out the snow shovel etc, and just keep the basics. But if you've ever needed to simply change a wheel in winter, you'll thank yourself for your foresight.

• Like 2

So this Tuesday we should be expecting some snow aparantly heavy in the north of England and Scotland.

So just a heads up to those of you that don't pay attention to the forecast.

I have a journey to London to make from West Yorkshire, I'm quite looking forward to it now.

Looking forward to a dusting of snow.

Had my winters for two years now, they need to see some snow! Just to test them out.

Granted loads more grip in the damp greasy conditions, but snow is what I want!

Looking forward to a dusting of snow.

Had my winters for two years now, they need to see some snow! Just to test them out.

Granted loads more grip in the damp greasy conditions, but snow is what I want!

Totally agree, when you first see the difference wookie you will be well impressed when you just sail by others just stuck in traffic.

I'm sure over the next couple of days you will get to have your fun :)

Don't know when your back but Queensbury should get a good whack. Seems to snow up there in summer!

Was snowing a tiny bit in Bradford when I passed through around 8:30 tonight.

We've had about 2 inch so far, yeah it is Yorkshires version of the Arctic here lol.

Setting off today around 10am then back on Friday.

So I get to have a little play before I set off.

Enjoy the snow guys.

Just took this, 2 yetis 1 has good camouflage

09D39A42-D5FF-418B-963F-940EF2AE3665.jpg

• Like 1