HTC Hero-can it work with columbus phone prep?

Just got myself an HTC Hero, it's great. Only trouble is when I try pairing it to phone prep, it find the the phone but then says it's incompatible!

Question is, are there any settings on the handset that will make it work, had read threads about other HTC handsets working.

Many thanks.

It might be called somthing simillar, although lookin round the web it seems that RSAP is not supported on Android hence also the Hero

Edited by mannyo

It might be called somthing simillar, although lookin round the web it seems that RSAP is not supported on Android hence also the Hero

The Bluetooth works fine on my G1 android phone, the thing is, HTC use different bluetooth software/hardware in the hero than what is used in the G1 so that may be what is causing the difference in compatability.

There is nothing in the standard rom that comes installed on the phone that will let you connect to the car. Only hope is that some of the rom "chefs" come up with a rom containing an updated bluetooth stack enabling connection. Though this route would mean flashing your phone.

I'm in the same boat.

Just got myself an HTC Hero, it's great. Only trouble is when I try pairing it to phone prep, it find the the phone but then says it's incompatible!

Question is, are there any settings on the handset that will make it work, had read threads about other HTC handsets working.

Many thanks.

Ben,

I am using an HTC Snap with no problem - If you go into settings then bluetooth there should be a setting SIM Access - If you select that you can activate Remote Sim Access - I dont know if it will work on your HTC Hero but it worked on the snap.

Good Luck

Modorator

I don't know about the columbus...but I've paired a HTC magic with my bury 9060 kit and that worked a treat, however my HTC Hero will only sync the names and no numbers. However if I add another number manually on the phone...then it will work! Never tried it with the Columbus, but would love to know if you get it working as so tempted to get one!

Currently, no Android handset works with the premium bluetooth that's standard in the UK Elegance Superbs.

It's a shame as I really liked the loan Hero that I've been evaluating for my company.

Until Android supports rSAP then we are out of luck. There's no support for it in the upcoming Android 2.0 release, so we'll have to hope it makes it into the next version.

Interestingly, there was a Google summer of code project this year to create an open source implementation of both rSAP client and server. I can only hope that this is adopted by Google.

A great new handset that does work with the Superb is the HTC HD2. It might be Windows Mobile based, but it also has the same HTC Sense UI as the Hero (well, it's not exactly the same, but that's how HTC are marketing it). I've had one of these phones on loan for the last week or so, and it's absolutely brilliant. As soon as it's released at the end of this month, I'll be getting one.

Bagpuss.

• 2 months later...

A great new handset that does work with the Superb is the HTC HD2. It might be Windows Mobile based, but it also has the same HTC Sense UI as the Hero (well, it's not exactly the same, but that's how HTC are marketing it). I've had one of these phones on loan for the last week or so, and it's absolutely brilliant. As soon as it's released at the end of this month, I'll be getting one.

Bagpuss.

Does anyone currently have a HTC HD2 working with the superb? Are all the expected functions working etc?

I have a HD2, and it's a bit flaky with the Superb.

I'm currently working with HTC engineering on debugging the problems, as everything works fine in their lab (they have a VW supplied bench test unit for checking compatibility).

For me, the problems are three fold:

1) The phone will connect with the car, but contacts fail to transfer across. When the contact transfer fails, the phone disconnects and will never connect again. You can work around this by limiting the number of contacts in your address book to around 160.

2) Once the HD2 is connected successfully, if you turn off the engine, then start the car again within a couple of minutes, the bluetooth stack on the HD2 hangs. You have to turn bluetooth off and on again (or sometimes reboot the phone), in order to get it working again.

3) Whilst driving along, with the phone connected, you suddenly loose signal (signal meter goes to no bars). The phone is still connected to the car, but it appears to have lost contact with the SIM card. Usually, you have to reboot the phone to fix this.

I'm just about to test the new v1.66 firmware for the HD2, to see if this is any better.

Right now, I honestly can't recommend the HD2 for use in the Superb. The only way to get proper compatibility is with a Nokia phone. I've gone back to my E71 for the time being.

Cheers,

Bagpuss.

Does anyone currently have a HTC HD2 working with the superb? Are all the expected functions working etc?

I have a HD2, and it's a bit flaky with the Superb.

I'm currently working with HTC engineering on debugging the problems, as everything works fine in their lab (they have a VW supplied bench test unit for checking compatibility).

For me, the problems are three fold:

1) The phone will connect with the car, but contacts fail to transfer across. When the contact transfer fails, the phone disconnects and will never connect again. You can work around this by limiting the number of contacts in your address book to around 160.

2) Once the HD2 is connected successfully, if you turn off the engine, then start the car again within a couple of minutes, the bluetooth stack on the HD2 hangs. You have to turn bluetooth off and on again (or sometimes reboot the phone), in order to get it working again.

3) Whilst driving along, with the phone connected, you suddenly loose signal (signal meter goes to no bars). The phone is still connected to the car, but it appears to have lost contact with the SIM card. Usually, you have to reboot the phone to fix this.

I'm just about to test the new v1.66 firmware for the HD2, to see if this is any better.

Right now, I honestly can't recommend the HD2 for use in the Superb. The only way to get proper compatibility is with a Nokia phone. I've gone back to my E71 for the time being.

Cheers,

Bagpuss.

Cheers for the update...fingers crossed that the new firmware improves things for you. For the time being I'll hold back from getting a HD2. :)