My Windows 7 install experience

Dr Zoidberg

Well , today I thought I'd wipe my Dell Dimension 9200 and replace Vista Business with WIndows 7 Ultimate.

Made sure I'd backed everything up , popped the disk in , and about 20 minutes later it was all installed and running without having to download a single extra driver myself. That's about the only time I've evet had such a painless OS install and a really first class job by Microsoft.

As for performance once it's on , it's noticably quicker than Vista. It's not a completely fair comparison looking at a clean install VS a 2 year old one , but it's still very nice indeed.

If anyone is buying a new PC , make sure it has W7 instead of Vista or at least comes with a free upgrade.

Does anyone know if the upgrade is as painless to install? ........I take it they do an upgrade version

You can't always do an upgrade , but Vista to the equivalent or higher grade version of W7 will work and apparently works painlessly.

If you run the compatibility checker it will tell you if there's any problems with your software and hardware before going ahead , but I'd always recommend a clean install anyway as it clears out all the crap.

I would seriously recomend doing a fresh install with Win 7 rather than an upgrade.

You will only run into problems either straight away or a bit down the line. From what I have heard/read Win 7 is a total new build and not based on Vista so it is a bit untidy to upgrade Vista with Win 7.

I had a similar experience with my install. Was amazed it only took 20 mins to do a full re-install! The only driver it didn't have was for the printer but thats because I forgot to switch it on. Once switched on windows went and downloaded the epson driver for me!

Another thing to consider is that an upgrade can take several hours to perform vs. the 1 hour it took me to back my stuff up and perform a clean install!

Phil

If it's anything like the RC- you can alwaysuse the "upgrade driver " option in control panel/system to get the drivers off of any CD -big advance -just point WIN7 at CD and leave it to get on with it .

Win 7 - the operating system Microsoft always tried to get ,but fell down the hill at the brow .

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, but like most companies sooner or later they'll just rush something to make **** loads of money and fix the issue later, that is what they did with Vista...

Windows 7 uses less resources to run, a much cleaner OS and shell, is far more forgiving when it comes to the hardware it is running on, but most importantly it makes far better use of the components within the laptop and computer, more cores, more ram, itll make more efficient use out of all of it...

If you can, go for the 64bit version, while the world may very well still be dragging its feet into the 64bit world, gone are the problems of yesterday when 64bit meant a mare of a time getting hardware to work, incorrect drivers and frustrated phone calls to friends for help, 64bit is the way ahead...

Most installs go through straight forward, most of the time drivers will all be installed with no issues, biggest driver problems comes with older modems but then, who is using them anymore anyway...

I would recommend fresh installs over Upgrades as an Upgrade can bring issues accross from the last Operating system. But the major bonus with Win 7 after a fresh install is how quick it truly is...

Vista was a farce, Win 7 has restored alot of my lost much faith in Micros*ft...

On a side issue, has anyone had a look at their Windows Performance Index, Vista used to go to 5.9/6.0... Win 7 goes a bit higher, higher score means better prizes, and is always worth running after an install of Win 7 to give you an idea of how your PC/Laptop will perform...

Mines running at 7.8 :rofl:.....

The upgrade will be seemless if its like for like!

Im sure i posted an upgrade chart awhile back, if not google it!

I went for a clean install of Win7 Ultimate x64!

Installed fine, maybe even easier as it tries to help you out with drivers once its up and running. No problems or concern! :thumbup: IMO!

• 2 weeks later...

Still hesistating to do the job. 7 ultimate 64bit is lying there for a couple of weeks now, didnt find the time yet (prob doing this before christmas).Have to do a clean install as I come from XP professional. But also want to change my Q6600 to a 9550 and 8Gb Corsairs instead of the 4 that are already in.Than another thing, want to throw out my SSD patriot for a normal 32Mb cache WD.Not satisfied with the SSD, it can be awesomely quick (at start up) but can also slow the system down as if I am back to my 486DX.......And (after a good year of use) I suspect the SSD for the sudden restarts during operation.

Installed last night, 20mins from inserting the disc, selected the drive (Windows found my RAID drivers all by itself!) then had no further intervention till it asked for the license number after installing all hardware and drivers.

Very impressed!