Water fording in Octavia Scout

Been a lot of heavy rain here and flooded roads. Was wondering how deep Skoda say the Octavia Scout can wade in water. Emailed Skoda info a few days ago and got a helpful phone call today... they don't know... but I said the Octavia Scout Paramedic was advertised as able to negotiate flooded roads etc. there must be specs somewhere, so they agreed to try and find out. I was suprised that they phoned back after an hour or so.

Here's the official Skoda line on Scout wading... The rule of 50

At 40 kph 10cm = 50

At 30 kph 20cm = 50

At 20 kph 30cm = 50

At 10 kph 40cm Max depth

Pretty good think! Must see how this compares to other soft roaders

I can't see the "Thanks" button, but thanks!

I have been wondering this recently. I wonder if the 40cm includes dry carpets.

FWIW Toyota quote this for the RAV4, which was the loser to the Scout for me recently:

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 10km/h 500

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 30km/h 300

So it is a little better.

So long as you keep the doors shut,I suppose the exhaust wouldn't be affected ? and would it matter if it was diesel or petrol ? cheers - Stuart

I can't see the "Thanks" button, but thanks!

I have been wondering this recently. I wonder if the 40cm includes dry carpets.

FWIW Toyota quote this for the RAV4, which was the loser to the Scout for me recently:

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 10km/h 500

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 30km/h 300

So it is a little better.

I've took my passat through more than 50cm through a flooded ford, air intake is just at the top of the grill, plenty of revs to keep the exhaust flowing. I was expecting soggy feet to be honest as it was above the doors sill but they managed alright.

My biggest worry, especially with it being an auto box was that it would spin the wheels up and id end up coming to a halt with spinning wheels

So, at 100kph , 0.5mm water? I think not.That is a barely wet road. ;>) The Octavia hatch FL air intake is at the top of the NS headlight which gives a decent margin of safety against ingesting water. The recent flood water in Derbyshire has mostly been due to blocked drains. This usually means kerb deep water (150mm?) so no problem for me in any car if taken at a sedate pace in first gear.

Thanks for the info, would think those figures would be similar for the Yeti then.

Had one experience of crossing though pretty deep water (well over the door sill) a couple of years back in old Astra van 1.7TD, would not what to try that again in a hurry. I was not making much headway in first gear with lots of revs and you could feel the water trying to move the van with the current.

Almost lost it when a large SUV came through the other way and put a bow wave over the bonnet and up the screen, left the engine spluttering for a little while.

It would seem that the Scout is no better equipped to wade through standing water than any other Octavia model, if the air intakes are all in the same sort of place.

I've been storming through some pretty deep standing water in the vRS with no trouble at all!

as you say about 2" higher than a vRS.

I remember once in my xantia (first car i had) went through a really badly flooded ford, lack of experience and judged it wrong, kept the revs on but the engine started spluttering and my mate was screeching turn the engine off when i knew it was only water in the exhaust, kept the revs on, blew it out and all was fine. was a bit worried at the time though

I think caution is advisable especially with diesels.

I remember the floods around my area a few years back and seeing about 7 diesel BMW 5 series awaiting new engines. They had a very low air intake and sucked water in at a surpisingly shallow depth.

• 1 year later...

Pretty deep seems to be the answer (and this was the gentle bow wave on my way out)

On the way in I was going a bit fast, misjudged the depth (a lot deeper than the last time I'd been this way). Cue massive wall of water rising up on initial splash, obscuring all vision before smashing down on bonnet and roof :o

Kept my foot down and got through, though was bricking it about ingesting water, thankfully the air intake is clearly somewhere sensible as I've not had any issues......phew!

Niall Edited by Niall

did it about 2years ago in my 1.4 estate on a dreadfully flooded road 14in of water and doing 15mph meant it made a bow wave at the front scary but she pulled through it, compared to a few in their jeeps who turned around, best though was doing 60mph into a 100ft long 8in depth of water....result 15ft high wave :)