Which Snow Tyre other than Vredstein Icetrac?

I've seen a few threads talking about Snow Tyres but nobody seems to mention any others than the Vredstein Icetracs.

I may have shortly got a spare set of 18's alloys and was thinking about getting some winter tyres for them as the vRS was useless in the snow last year. I've got dunlop Sport SP's on at the minute and although i've got four wheel drive I think a set of winter wheels would be a wise investment

Nokian WR/WR-G2 are good.

To be fair, I wouldn't bother on 18" and would try and get some 16" wheels for the winter tyres. You pay a large premium for 18" winter tyres, if you can get them at all in your size and would probably be able to get the 16" wheels plus tyres for about the same money as selling the 18" wheels.

I have a set of Vredestein Snowtrac 2s and can’t praise them highly enough. Superb in Snow, sleet and rain. The only caveats are they shouldn’t be used excessively when the temp is above 7C and they do make the steering a little vague in feel.

I'd try Snowtracs from Vred or Snowprox from Toyo myself...

Caution as per Lady E's reply. And get some smaller wheels too. The rubber will be cheaper, 16s will still fit over the brakes and they'll be better in the snow as well. Result :D

Steve

I've just got my snow tyres on. I bought a set of 16" alloys from Rochford Tyres at £200 (the skoda dealer wanted £51 a wheel for steels) and I have got a set of Avon Ice and Snow Tourings on them 205/55R16 at £70 a tyre.

Ive used the Avons before and they have been great and my mum also uses them and has had no problems with them.

If anything the car is quieter on these avons than on the 17's it comes as standard with and also the ride is nicer too.

Make sure you check the speed ratings on some of the snow tyres as they can be a bit lower than your normal tyre.

I would honestly say that running snow tyres are worth it - not for just snow but a lot better in ice, sleet and rain too. I do between 1000 - 20000 miles a week and find them so much better at this time of year. I normally fit them about now and then run to end of February with them on and then swap over after that.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tom

I have just bought Dunlop Wintersport 3D which have done very well in various tests in Germany. They are consistently in the top 3 places.

Other top winter tyres include Continental WinterContact TS 810 or Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3.

Vredesteins coming in about 4th or 5th place.

The following are tests involving 205/55 R16 tyres. Tyres can give different performances if delivered in a different size from tested.

Unfortunately, they are in German, but you can get the jist of the tests and if you want to look up key words use 

http://dict.leo.org/ which is a good German to English dictionary.

http://download.autobild.de/dl/335998/2007_40052_Winterreifentest_205_55_16.pdf

http://www1.adac.de/...ageID=195661%20

The Germans take their winter tyres very seriously here, practically everyone uses them in winter.

Edited by Gers

I have just bought Dunlop Wintersport 3D which have done very well in various tests in Germany. They are consistently in the top 3 places.

Do they officialy import them now? I looked a few years back but it was going to take time to get them so went with vredestein,

Edited by simonsheil

winter tyres are the future. until you have tried them, you have no ide how much better they grip compared to normal tyres invery cold weather

however in the rain and on a warmer dry day(above 8 degrees, they aint no good if your runnin any power) Unnnnddddddddeeeeerrrrrrrrrsssssssssteeeeeeeeerrrr

Nokian WR/WR-G2 are good.

To be fair, I wouldn't bother on 18" and would try and get some 16" wheels for the winter tyres. You pay a large premium for 18" winter tyres, if you can get them at all in your size and would probably be able to get the 16" wheels plus tyres for about the same money as selling the 18" wheels.

Only problem is the brakes on the A4 wont fit under 16's and im not even sure they'll fit under 17's. Same Brakes as Mk5 R32 but on 320mm discs rather than 345mm.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Do they officialy import them now? I looked a few years back but it was going to take time to get them so went with vredestein,

I bought mine in Germany, where they keep them on the shelves. Didn't realise they didn't generally import them into UK.

What were you quoted? If they are affordable and can be imported, would definately be worth ordering them.

I assume that you have asked around the local tyre suppliers to see what is available? If you want all weather tyres I'd recommend Vredestein Quatracs. I used several sets of Quatrac 2 all year round with adequate grip in all temperatures..

If you need more extreme snow tyres then a second set of rims is a better idea. There are links to German tyre tests when you look on 'my tyres' etc.

Only problem is the brakes on the A4 wont fit under 16's and im not even sure they'll fit under 17's. Same Brakes as Mk5 R32 but on 320mm discs rather than 345mm.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Think you're right as I'm running 312mm under the 16" but I don't think you'll get any larger.

Guess 17" wheels are going to be your best bet for getting new wheels.

I am the proud owner of 225/50/R17 Continental WinterContact TS 810. They performed excellent during my trip trough very snow and icy conditions in Switzerland.

dunlop Sport SP's
I have the Dunlops too (for Summer), these must be a nightmare in snow. They have little profile, it is like driving on slicks! Edited by Constant

Always changing to winter wheels from end of October to the week after easter (as the week before we still go skiing).

My first set were the Continental TS810s, fine winter tyre with good alround (winter) driveability. Had these in HR rating (limited to 210km/h).

After this set I changed to Dunlop 3D winter (also because of the good results these tyres have in the different tests (in D, CH, A etc). ). Still in the same size 205/55 16 but, as the reminding bling at 210 came too often, in VR rating.

Even with the higher speed rating, I think the 3Ds are grippier (especially in snow) and better controlable than th TS810s were. Also quieter than the Contis.

They wear about the same, but have too say I drive the dunlops faster on the autobahns as the contis.

From the financial point of view, the dunlops are (here in germany) a bit cheaper than the continentals. Next set will be dunlop again.

BUT, there are no real bad wintertyres anymore. No matter what brand, they will still be miles ahead of the 225/40 18 summer tyresemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Edited by magic62