Drink driving - vehicle confiscation

westerdam2

Good 1, it was his second time , when will these idiots learn

indeed - although I think they should auction the car rather than crush it and use the money for campagnes etc

indeed - although I think they should auction the car rather than crush it and use the money for campagnes etc

That's almost certainly what will happen here - it's too valuable to crush.

I've also heard a couple of mentions that the drink drive limit may be lowered before too long which isn't a bad thing either.

Under the proposed limit one pint for an average sized person would be be ok but nothing more.

No excuse and I think 10yr ban at least. I reckon 9 points if caught on mobile, car confiscated and crushed/auctioned off, 5 grand fine and 2 yr ban for second offence. Get tough, it's the only way people will learn!

i recon a life ban and confiscation for a second offence definatly, i think its good to see the police round here are really going big on the drink drivers round hear this christmas,they were on the local radio boasting how many they had caught in the first week of the campiengn,they even stopped me going to work last monday morning,i had no complaints and told them straight they should be at it like that all year to get these menaces off the road,the only way to stop it completly is much tougher sentances,3 year ban for the first offence and a 5k fine,lifetime ban and car confiscation plus a monster fine for a second offence its the only way,drink driving can not be tolerated.

anyone lookin 4 a cheap freelander :giggle:

its weird people know whats going to happen if there caught drink driving but they still do it, iv no sympathy

i'm a hgv driver and one of the other drivers has just been caught,i only had 4 pints he whinged to me,sorry bud i'm the wrong person to moan at he may have been a mate but i let him have it and told him exactly what i thought,i was down in runcorn the other weekend with my father in law,he coaxed me out for a couple of pints on the saturday afternoon,i had 2 and still wouldn't drive home despite almost everyone saying i would be under,zero tolerance and huge peneltys is the only way,people need to realise they have a responsibility to other road users and if your driving is impaired by alcohol the you are effectivly at the controls of a 1+ ton wepon i'm no bleeding heart libral or a speed kills merchant but drink driving is a subject very close to my heart and i would shop my best mate or any member of my family for doing it and asm proud to stand up and say it.

i'm a hgv driver and one of the other drivers has just been caught,i only had 4 pints he whinged to me,sorry bud i'm the wrong person to moan at he may have been a mate but i let him have it and told him exactly what i thought,i was down in runcorn the other weekend with my father in law,he coaxed me out for a couple of pints on the saturday afternoon,i had 2 and still wouldn't drive home despite almost everyone saying i would be under,zero tolerance and huge peneltys is the only way,people need to realise they have a responsibility to other road users and if your driving is impaired by alcohol the you are effectivly at the controls of a 1+ ton wepon i'm no bleeding heart libral or a speed kills merchant but drink driving is a subject very close to my heart and i would shop my best mate or any member of my family for doing it and asm proud to stand up and say it.

1 pint and the average person is borderline. I think they need to up the campaign on the drug driving side.

That's almost certainly what will happen here - it's too valuable to crush.

I've also heard a couple of mentions that the drink drive limit may be lowered before too long which isn't a bad thing either.

Under the proposed limit one pint for an average sized person would be be ok but nothing more.

Yeah, but tbh, we have one of the highest limits just now at 0.08%bac, most American states and most of Europe have used 0.05

%bac for years.

Public shaming of these people is the best option imo (along with bans/fines)

Well said. :thumbup::thumbup: I couldn't agree more. I disagree with driving within 12 hours of having any amount of drink, I couldn't live with myself if I had a drink driving related accident which injured somebody else, if I hadn't of had that drink the accident might have been avoided.

My other strong disagreements is allowing eating and smoking whilst driving as it enevatibly means the driver isn't fully concentrating on their driving and also only has one hand or in some cases no hand on the wheel and using their knees to hold a straight line

While people don't help themselves there are other things that would help.

- The number of units per pint on beer

- The number of units per glass of all sizes the bar sells on all wine

Bars should also stop asking people if they want a large or a small glass then selling 175 as a small and 250 as a large.

The glass sizes are 125 for a glass, 175 for a large glass and 250 seems to be a new invention.

While people bear responsibility for their consumption, and I limit myself to either a half pint or pint of shandy, the pubs and alcohol trade as a whole seem to want to make it pretty hard for people to drink small amounts.

For example, Most places won't sell a 125 glass of wine any more. Many places charge 75% of the cost of a pint for a half and many places charge more for a glass (not even a pint) of draught soft drink than they do for a pint of beer.

Regardless of all of this, throw the book at the guy, especially as it's happened more than once.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I do not think that the limit need lowering but I do believe that the penalties should be severe if convicted of being over the limit. I am most careful and these days I do not even go to the pub and never go out if I have had a drink anyway. What I did see here in West Wale, was wanton drinking over the limit by large numbers of people who then go on to drive. I am not just talking about people who might be arguably over but people who can hardly even stand up. In the main they were older men not boys and occasionally older women too. The sort of age group were they should be expected to have more responsibility. In this area and in most villages around here are groups of middle aged men who go to the pub every single day of the week and drink to excess. On the days that those pubs close for a day off, these men then go to another pub. they are drinking all afternoon and often all evening also. One can go in and have a social drink they are their drinking 2 maybe 3 to your one and they are still they when you leave. They will then go on to drive home. these men and a few women are hardened drinkers most probably addicts. the police never seem to do anything about them. I could take any of you into any pub around here at almost any time once they are open and these drivers will be drinking. I used to offer lifts home for some because i felt that I should put my self out top keep death off the road only one of those hardened drinkers has ever agreed, he was a lorry driver. Most probably driving while over the limit when in his cab the next-day.

I do have sympathy for those who walk home to stay safe and may be caught out on the way to work innocent in the knowledge of being over the limit. I still think that they should be prosecuted but I feel that the law does not differentiate between those who wantonly transgress and those who do it accidently.

I really wish that some MP, senior police officer, Broad Sheet news paper editor or some one would see this post because it is not just the few but the many in Ceredigion who knowingly put our lives at risk, while the police only do token things to make a show every now and then. they have no interest in addressing the problem just like some of the other poor policing in this region. It is very much part of the culture here. I hope that everyone reading this takes care when driving in this area when on holiday or a day trip because drunk drivers are on the roads here at any time of day.

I wonder how the scheme works when you don't really own your car like hire purchase etc?

No argument with the scheme itself though. I just wish they'd extend it to uninsured, untaxed or unregistered vehicles.

Brilliant - what I've said for many years - got to Pub- Walk , or take Taxi .Booze and driving DON'T MIX .

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at it a different way, I agree that the drivers should be punished for drinking and driving. But, why is it being looked at as such a reactive measure. If we were more proactive and seek to prevent persons from drink driving, then these penalties would be enforced to a lesser extent. I acknowledge that it would be near, if not impossible to stop all drinking and driving, but surely prevention is better than cure. If a person is caught drinking and driving, the system has failed. I say this meaning that the person who was caught was potentially an accident waiting to happen before being caught, and furthermore for every 1 person caught there are possibly at least 2 or 3 more who were not caught. Again I say, prevention will always be better than cure. The cause needs to be treated, not the effect. In this case the cause may be driving while drunk/inebriated. If we find the cause we can then work on a solution. This can apply to many of the other problems facing today's society.

I'm only 20 and can see this, why can't some of the others

p.s This (reactive as opposed to proactive methods of problem solving seems to be a plague world wide)

(Disclaimer: This was not intended to offend present company. I am merely sharing my views)