2.0TSi wastegate noise

SUTTS

Has anyone else with a new petrol VRS noticed the unpleasant rattly sound as you accelerate between 2-3000 rpm (it disappears above this) on a fairly gentle throttle load? It's often quite faint but once you know it's there...

I had my dealer check it out, thinking that it might have been a loose heatshield etc, but they couln't find anything amiss. I've since done a bit of research on the vwvortex forum and it seems to be common to this engine across the VAG range, with many people saying it bothers them.

After a lot of debate they seem to have settled on the noise coming from valve rattle/flutter in the turbo wastegate. The noise is apparantly amplified on Golf GTIs as they have some special noise pipe that takes the 'sporty' engine sound into the cabin :dull:

Apparantly a remap 'may' alter or reduce the noise as it would change the timing of the wastegate valve actuation??

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4098548 (it's a long thread).

Edited by SUTTS

None of you new TSI vRS owners noticed this then??

Yes I noticed it during my first week.

I thought it was turbo related and therefore normal.

Does not bother me to be honest ;)

Yep, noticed this also.

Has been there since I got the car - like a rasping noise at the rev range stated.

Took car to dealers regarding it and they confirmed there is no physical problem though were going to make SkodaUK aware of the 'unique' noise.

May also add that there is no drop in performance and isn't always noticeable, though when it is heard it is a bit annoying. Did the same research as OP which seemed to confirm its a noise all 2.0TSI engines are blessed with which reassured me a little.

I don't expect a fix any time soon as it seems there is no actual damage or fault as such. :|

Yep, noticed this also.

Has been there since I got the car - like a rasping noise at the rev range stated.

Took car to dealers regarding it and they confirmed there is no physical problem though were going to make SkodaUK aware of the 'unique' noise.

May also add that there is no drop in performance and isn't always noticeable, though when it is heard it is a bit annoying. Did the same research as OP which seemed to confirm its a noise all 2.0TSI engines are blessed with which reassured me a little.

I don't expect a fix any time soon as it seems there is no actual damage or fault as such. :|

My one does the exact same thing, it can be annoying if the radio is turned down. Sounds cheap if you know what i mean, would be interested if someone was to find a cure for it.

My one does the exact same thing, it can be annoying if the radio is turned down. Sounds cheap if you know what i mean, would be interested if someone was to find a cure for it.

Had my vRS just over a week now and also have the noise - thought it was a rasp from the exhaust but maybe not !! To be honest it's not at all intrusive and just adds a bit of character to the engine.

It seems a conclusion has already been drawn on this but my old BMW used to make a rattle noise as a flap in the second exhaust tailpipe opened over a certain engine speed (well it only rattled if hovering around that speed).

Same flap is probably also responsible for the 0g/CO2 MOT reading it got.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back to my dealer today about this and have spoken with the very helpful Aftersales Manager, who is interested in the issue.

He has already contacted SUK about it, who state they are not aware of the noise problem on this engine. It is of course quite new to the Skoda range though. If enough people take it up with their dealer then SUK might eventually (through VAG presumably) get something done, such as a turbo or mapping modification which would change the wastegate actuation and get rid of the noise.

There is not thought to be a problem with the TSI engine as such, but a £20k+ car (obviously more in the VW and Audi ranges) should not make a nasty rattle at all!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Picked up my VRS estate tsi DSG yesterday and I have the same sound. It sounds like a loose heatshield but research suggests it is something related to the turbo. I have logged a call with Skoda and the lady I spoke with said it was not acceptable for this to occur on a new car - I agree!!

I have then spoken to my local Skoda service manager who has not heard of this noise and I will take the car to him tomorrow afternoon for inspection.

The car otherwise is amazing. However, I am not going to put up with it though and if I need to reject the car I will. I have read many treads on the internet and VWs attitude to the problem is appalling.

At least Skoda have confirmed it is not acceptable. I have a reference number from Skoda and they have informed me that I need to get the car checked to see what the issue is first.

Anyone had any progress with this? Anyone with a VRS 2.0TSI not have this sounds???

Cheers guys

Phil

Just another on the list had my car about a week the noise is there but pretty faint almost sounds like the car is pinking, dont find it annoying as its not loud or intrusive, but obviously if there is any hint of damage being caused i want to get rid of it... although it sounds as if it maybe not causing damage.

I think this noise is from the exhaust, not unlike the rasp you had in older Alfas - I would expect the noise to subside with age when the carbons build up on the inside. I always thought wastegate noises were on the overrun rather than during acceleration ?

Yup had same noise on my TSI. Metallic Rasp sound at 2 -3krpm. Thought there may be an issue with the turbo or just some heatsheild loose. Can't say I notice now. done 4k miles and also now running Bluefin. Will listen again when I next go for a drive and report back if its still there.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, new VRS owner here, same issue. This is widely known on CCTA engine in US (vw gti), this is the issue, TSB number and part number involved., video, etc simple fix.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401

Next week Im going to ask my dealer about this issue so they add this clip to the wastegate rod, if not possible I'll buy the clip in ECS..

Thanks

As per the last from cdc182, read the linked thread. Your problem will be solved!

Free fix at dealer. Rattle free under power. Transformed car. The End.