So what bits would you like to see on Octavia III?

FlyingPigs.jpg

As I've said, the current CR range of engines are less efficient than the old PD. Petrol engines are getting more and more efficient.

Diesel needs DPF's to meet emissions regulations - look what happens with them! And just think, emissions are gonna be tighter controled to you're gonna get even more issues with DPF's etc.

But nevermind, I already know which is best ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said, the current CR range of engines are less efficient than the old PD. Petrol engines are getting more and more efficient.

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it right!

The 1.6CR is MORE efficient than the 1.9PD of otherwise similar spec that it will ultimately replace and has a combined cycle of 63-64MPG. The most efficient petrol engine (1.4TSI) only manages 45MPG so there's still a HUGE gap.

What would I like to see?

For gadgets I'd like a Skoda version of Fiat's "Blue & Me" - bluetooth and MP3 playback from USB devices as standard , and satnav at a sensible price compared to a TomTom instead of the current ludicrous premimum.

On the styling front I'd love a huge panoramic glass roof - more light is always good - and for them to make an effort to reduce weight instead of the inevitable bloating.

The boot/hatch as fitted to the superb would be nice too.

Really optimistically I'd like a convertible , but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Engine-wise I'd like to see a diesel-hybrid with the CR 1.6 - there's no reason why that wouldn't have performance similar to the CR 2.0 and a realistic 75mpg

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it right!

The 1.6CR is MORE efficient than the 1.9PD of otherwise similar spec that it will ultimately replace and has a combined cycle of 63-64MPG. The most efficient petrol engine (1.4TSI) only manages 45MPG so there's still a HUGE gap.

Erm... yes it does! Backed up with figures from Skoda.... which you can look up yourself, because I can't be bothered.

I was comparing the 1.9 PD to the 2.0 PD and the 2.0 CR, of course the 1.6 will more economical, it's a smaller engine.

I do despair some times...

Digital radio should make an appearance, its a shame its not available in this technological day and age.

Trust me, you dont want DAB. The sound quality is terrible, its so highly compressed that it sounds like you are listening to a poor quality 64kbps internet stream. Some stations on DAB are transmitted in Mono, whereas on FM they are glorious Stereo. I had DAB in my octy mk1, but abandoned it as it was and still is terrible. If anything its worse now than it was then. Germany have abandoned DAB completely for now and there is little if any coverage in europe. Some countries are currently trying DAB+ to overcome the bandwith problem, but if we adopt that it would make every DAB radio sold to date obsolete.

As you had it in a MK1 then I guess it wasnt a factory install? I had it in my A8 and it was fantastic, never dropped or lost the signal once and sound quality was excellent, just like a workmates Merc is. I know people have suffered with aftermarket kits but the factory stuff I have sampled has been great.

It was also in a MK6 Golf hire car I had a few months ago and that too was good.

MY wish list is vrs 4x4 3.0 tdi but alas most things that people want we will never get due to vag politics ie they dont wont octavia's to out sell golf, a3,a4,etc because competively priced they would do for fun. :D

All this rubbish about petrol cars being more efficient than Diesels and the older PD engine being more efficient than CR is annoying.

The VAG's 170 CR's figures are:

45.6 Urban

64.2 Out of Town

55.4 Combined

CO2 of 134

This compares to the old PD:

36.2 Urban

56.5 Out of Town

47.1 Combined

CO2 of 155

Now, the figures I have chosen from the VAG Engines are from the A4 and show just how good(Read Efficient) the CR could be in the vRS.

Instead we have to put up with:

37.7 Urban

61.4 Out of Town

49.6 Combined

CO2 of 149

Some of this could be down to the extra 20Kg of weight, Aerodynamics and Stop/Start technology but even still.

So can we stop this more efficient PD issue, it's not true. If it were the latest VAG car's would still be using it. Also, despite the PDF issues some people have I'm glad we have them as it stops the back of the car looking like a Transit !!

I too would love to see a DAB option however....... DAB >was< a good idea until the suits at Aunty Beeb decided that the best way to "mine" this new technilogy was to stuff too many sttations onto the available bandwidth rather than going for the original goal of improved sound quality. DAB done correctly sounds OK - not as good as a good FM broadcast on an expensive tuner but enough to make it worthwhile on the move. Unfortunately the Beeb have raped the system silly and despite several well respected technology journalists complaining, Simon Nelson, the head of all things digital has ignored the overwhelming evidence, buried his head in the sand and gone on reducing bitrates to the point where we now have a system which >could< have delivered on its promises but has now just become another abiet snazzier version of AM.

The real concern is that they are doing it AGAIN with FreesatHD in an effort to make FreeviewHD "look" better. If you want a comprehensive insight into whats going on I suggest you pick up a copy of Hi-Fi World Feb 2010, turn to page 93 and read Steven Green's excellent article. Be warned however it will make your blood boil if you are the type of person who cares about these things. Personally It makes me mad to find out yet again that we (the public) are being fed a load of crap with regard to improved sound and picture quality and that we really should all "go HD" only to find that when we get there we are left wondering what all the fuss is about.

Once again the BBC has screwed things up yet we have no choice but to cough up £120 a year to help them do so. The organisation is now so corrupt, incompetant and incapable of handling important technology that they should have any responsibility for it taken away from them and we should turn it back into the public service bradcaster it is actually supposed to be.

Grrrr!!

Sorry guys - a bit off topic but kinda relevant if you are looking at DAB!

Edited by wardth

Isn't FM being switched off in the UK at some point in the near future?

EDIT: 2015, apparently: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/5552937/FM-radio-switched-off-by-2015.html

That's what I thought - there was already some talk of a digital switchover for radio at some point down the line. Makes me mad too.

Hi Phil,

I live at the bottom of a hill and habitually turn the music off at the top (to save the neighbours from my tastes ) & cruise the 1/2 mile to home.

Pressing and holding the radio for 5 secs to turn off is totally silly in my opinion and not that easy on our poorly surfaced roads round here.

For me; click (or switch) ON/OFF is far better

Cheers

You press and hold the button for 5 secs? I just push in for a fraction of a second and it switches off. Is your radio different? :no:

If it's as good as the digital switchover for TV, god help us. It's been c**p since December. Some local people manage to get BBC Wales instead of regular local BBC - not that there's anything wrong with BBC Wales but you do need to be fluent in Welsh to understand it. I'm not and pretty cheesed off with the whole thing.

Judging by the prices for the Yeti , I think the real question that should be asked is what features should be left OFF the next car in order to keep the prices reasonable - the real devaluation ( and do not let any polititian

kid you otherwise ) of the Pound against the Euro has yet to be factored in .

Were I buying the next model of Scout , then the essential improvements would have to be -

more comfortable seats with an effective lumbar support ( copy the Mk 1 ! ) .

dipping nearside mirror for reversing to high kerbs .

a thought out towbar system next time that is integrated from the outset and does not need the bumper to be hacked in order to fit it , if not factory fitted .

a more economical engine .

choice of tyres to be fitted - far more important than colour of trim etc .

and as an optional extra , which I would buy , is a motorised hands free tailgate mechanism .

If it's as good as the digital switchover for TV, god help us. It's been c**p since December. Some local people manage to get BBC Wales instead of regular local BBC - not that there's anything wrong with BBC Wales but you do need to be fluent in Welsh to understand it. I'm not and pretty cheesed off with the whole thing.

BBC Wales puts hardly any Welsh-language programming on, if there's any, it's repeats of normal shows, dubbed in Welsh, in middle of the night...

Isn't FM being switched off in the UK at some point in the near future?

EDIT: 2015, apparently: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/5552937/FM-radio-switched-off-by-2015.html

Thats exactly why I didnt buy a new FL Octy at the weekend. If I stump up 20k+ for a car then I am keeping it for a few years, I dont want the radio to be useless in 4/5 years time. Skoda really need to get with the times and make DAB (or internet radio) available.