Worst aspects of the Octavia

Road noise.

Engine stall when not quite enough revs and the sudden jolting stop.

Crap heating during cold weather - previous Peugeots I had (and the wife's current 206SW) were blasting out hot air within 2 miles of a cold start in winter; don't get that with Octy.

The "no quick heating problem" usually means that the engine is more efficient since it looses less energy producing heat and uses more producing movement.

I know it can feel annoying in cold weather places but.... this is the price for progress. ;)

The "no quick heating problem" usually means that the engine is more efficient since it looses less energy producing heat and uses more producing movement.

I know it can feel annoying in cold weather places but.... this is the price for progress. ;)

Yeah, but in Sweden you are used to the cold. Here we close down the country if there's more than 4 inches of snow (1 inch for Londoners). :rofl:

On my FL VRS after 3 months, and 6000 miles

1) Road noise ... from poor dunlop tyres?

2) No stereo controls on stalk / steering wheel

3) Having to press unlock twice in quick succession to open all doors ... need to get garage to change (no maxidot)

4) Ipod controls on stereo (MDI).... sometimes ipod reverts to very first song on ipod, and always it looses a repeat setting from a previous journey

Otherwise all good emoticon-0100-smile.gif

I agree on the first 3 (haven't got an ipod). The tyre noise seems to get worse as those Dunlops wear in - to the point last week where I thought I had a wheel bearing problem! I could have specced (2) but it would have been nice if it was standard like a lot of other cars. (3) was annoying for a while but now I press the button twice automatically (no maxidot either).

Like you say - otherwise VERY good!

Bob

--

Can't see the use in that - on earlier cars it was much easier, just lift the wipers and off you go....

I think it may be cos they're so easy to nick in the parked position and would also otherwise be, if you could lift them. I notice the recent Ford Focus has the same wipers and no such 'problems' if you're sticky fingered.

To clarify, when I say height, I don't just mean just the height from the floor, rather the closeness to the driver - it's a good inch or more closer than the accelerator. No matter how I set up the seat and steering wheel adjustments, I still find my right foot crooked at a more acute angle than I would like leaving me with a slight ache after a long journey. It's a shame, for the last few cars I owned were Fords in which the pedals almost intuitively fell underfoot once you had the seat and steering wheel suitably adjusted.

I think it may be deliberate so you don't press the brake and accelerator together by accident, and even if you do you'll get brake first. Haven't tried heeling an toeing yet, but this is my first car with a bottom pivot accelerator pedal.

I think it may be deliberate so you don't press the brake and accelerator together by accident, and even if you do you'll get brake first. Haven't tried heeling an toeing yet, but this is my first car with a bottom pivot accelerator pedal.

Now you mention it, this is the first time I've used a bottom hinged accelerator since an Estelle 120L in the early 1980s, so I wonder if this is something to do with it.

I have attained some measure of comfort now by setting the car seat to it's lowest position. This relieves the acute angle at the ankle when braking, but it leaves me sitting very low (I'm 5' 6") - I much prefer sitting high and 'over the steering' where I can see the end of the bonnet, if you get my drift.

Someone else commented on the seat moving forward as you increase height - I agree this is a shame as I suspect I could achieve the perfect position without this.

• 3 months later...

hello, it's my first post.

had our octavia 2.0tdi elegance estate for 2 months now and loving it.

funny to see the issues here that we've seen:

- some road noise

- rubber mats supplied as part of deal are rubbish and do slip under accelerator! the floor studs do not hold them in place at all

- the 2.0 tdi does have a slight turbo lag where you get average acceleration at first then a massive boost after about 2 seconds.

- we have a VERY irritating problem with the front, top dashboard storage compartment - it keeps popping open!

it started in the warm weather but now opens every 10 minutes or so! i'm sure the dealer will sort it but haven't seen it mentioned on these forums, so maybe we've got a dogy one, but still annoying.

all in all, loving the octavia, a great cruiser, economy not quite up to the advertised 55mpg yet, and the parking sensors on the estate are well useful.

For info guys the accelerator is always lower than the brake so when you are braking ( ie pedal pushed in a bit ) the throttle pedal ( accelerator is not the correct term technically! lol ) is then ideally placed for heel and toe. Its the same in nearly every car.

06 plate VRS Hatch

Main gripes

Heated Mirror switch feels like its going to break

Seat bases are a bit short for me.

Radio ( in the Stream unit ) is absolutely dire.

Otherwise the car is fantastic, its good on fuel for what it is, its quiet ( geometry/bushes/tyres are as per OEM Spec ), it goes well. It has a superb ride, the balance of ride and handling is about as good as you can hope for and you could get a dead horse in the boot..........whole.

+1 For water running off the hatch into the boot :thumbdown:

Also, the paint on these cars seems very 'thin' and very prone to stone chips, particularly on the bonnet, around the grille surround. I've got a 2003 Fabia vRS and the bonnet is virtually blemish free.

Regarding the road noise. On my 2006 vRS TFSI this was appalling, it got considerably worse over time. New front and rear tyres didn't make any difference either. I actually used to get headaches on longer drives.

The vRS has now gone and the 2.0 PD Elegance which replaced it is much much better. In fact it's probably they most refined car I've driven. Road/tyre noise is virtually none existent and although I do notice very slight wind noise (which I think is caused by the wing mirrors ?!?!), I have to mute the stereo and tune in to detect it. Granted the Elegance and vRS have different personalities, the difference is quite surprising.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Octavias I've owned. I wouldn't think twice about parting with my hard earned for another one :thumbup:

Compared to some of the cars Ive had, the VRS seems like a quiet cruiser :giggle:

And TBH, too smooth a ride makes me feel queasy, I remember getting a lift home in a bosses Jag once and feeling ready to puke :rofl:

Edited by Rhoobarb

I was pleased with the car but compared to the last Octavia the seats are the most uncomfortable i have ever sat in. There appears to be metal supports in the seat base and the plastic underneath does not give. It gives me serious leg ache. Goint to France in the summer and not looking forward to the 7hr drive. Sat in a Scout and no problems. Must be just the VRs. And no, i'm NOT a fatty!!

The rear screen on the estate gets filthy compared to the hatch.

The dealers service is not very good (being polite). Mine developed a noise which I thought was a bearing but they tried to fob me off saying it was tyre noise. 3 trips later and they have replaced 2 wheel bearings, a front and a back.

Bought mine with 11000 miles but came with all the toys. Sat Nav is annoying as it sends you on all the back roads and takes twice as long. Must be the settings. Haven't had time to read the book yet!

£1500 for the sat Nav and no steering controls!!

Apart from that a nice looking car.

18" Zeniths - cheaper tyres than 17"

Dreading the Xenon bulbs going at £60 a pop on internet and having to change both at same time.

Don't like:

seat squabs a little too long - they dig in the back of my knees as I have short legs.

+1 from my vertically-challenged wife. And yet further up this post is someone complaining the squabs are too short. You can't please everyone, I guess.

AFAIK the speed display on the Maxidot is the opposite of the actual speedo. If you have a kph speedo as we do the Maxidot displays mph and if you have an mph speedo the Maxidot displays kph. The feature is there for you guys who have the ability to drive in different countries with different speed systems (metric or imperial).

The Scout demonstrator I've driven had a km/h speedo and km/h dispayed on the Maxidot display.

Too late, mate, it was discussed in a thread last year!!!!!!!!!! Awesome told me that Golfs, Leons etc all seem to have a warning light fitted, but not working. However, someone posted that they had a cruise retrofitted, and the warning light did work on that one. Perhaps the controller involved? Would love a definitive answer on this, as I'd like to get the warning light working on mine if I possibly can

Mike

My wifes Seat Altea has CC but there is no light either, or on my 08 Audi S3 or on my VRs. Just assumed it was the way VAG were going. I just leave it switched on and use it when i want. The light serves no purpose for me.

Also I think the seats are the comfiest I have had in ages, even over the S3. The only thing I miss is the heating.

The CC light works fine on my 56 plate VRS which I assume had it factory fitted.

I've only had my car for around three months so I've not really found any major grumbles, I've had the water running through an open window issue as I have to put my window down as I turn left to swipe out at work but that's easy enough to avoid. Road noise seems fine on my car, it's quieter than my Toledo Sport TDI 150 and even quieter than some non-sports models like a Ford Galaxy, while there is still some road noise it's what I expect from the VRS - I didn't buy it as a comfy cruiser. Most of my grumbles are just around the basic spec which on my car means front electric windows, no USB or aux input, no steering wheel controls and no maxidot. I'm not that impressed with the 2.0 PD engine which seems surprisingly thirsty compared to the 150bhp 1.9 TDI engine but doesn't have the same surge of power and it shudders at near stall speeds plus it has the DPF although there's no avoiding that.

I do actually really like the seats though which seem to really polarise people, when I hurt my back a few months ago I was actually most comfortable in my car as it just seemed to support my back perfectly - I ended up going and sitting in there when my back was sore as it really helped.

John

Based on the almost universal frustration with the rain in the boot issue, do people wish they had an estate (station wagon) instead of the liftback (hatch)?

TBH I only ever really have that problem when Im in a rush, I lift it a short way, let the water drip into the gulleys then lift it the rest of the way, mimimum soak.

As for Estate V. Hatch, I love estates, for the shape, extra space and better reversing judgement, but the octavia is one of the few cars I prefer in hatch form.

Edited by Rhoobarb

Based on the almost universal frustration with the rain in the boot issue, do people wish they had an estate (station wagon) instead of the liftback (hatch)?

Not sure if anyone has tried this (I can't as I have an estate) but you can get "L" shaped rubber extrusions 15mm x 9mm x 1.8mm from the likes of Vintagecarparts.co.uk that I would have thought would be ideal for inserting in between the rear window and the frame at the sides with the longer leg pointing upwards to provide just enough of an upstand above the level of the window to catch any water and stop it dripping into the boot.

I've seen this approach work succesfully on MX5 hardtops that have no drainange channels at all so water runs in off the roof through open side windows...

• 6 years later...

- we have a VERY irritating problem with the front, top dashboard storage compartment - it keeps popping open!

it started in the warm weather but now opens every 10 minutes or so! i'm sure the dealer will sort it but haven't seen it mentioned on these forums, so maybe we've got a dogy one, but still annoying.

Did this get resolved? Mine is doing the same now!

Know it's an old thread but my bugs are:

Creaky door while elbow leaning on it...

Dash compartment as above

Gear knob chrome chipping away and stabbing my hand

Aux input not working

Other than that I love my FLVRS!