Cupra and Powerflex bushes

TimAce

Having the Seat Cupra console bushes and Powerflex bushes fitted today. Looking forward to seeing how it is like afterwards. Though hoping there isnt too much cabin noise from the mod... :S

Hello, thank you for all your comments.

Well picked the car up yesterday afternoon, have to say I am very pleased :yes: .

Firstly I can notice slightly more engine noise but certainly nothing to worry about, especially as thats what Diesel's are all about anyway.

It is worth noting that the old bushes were fairly shot, from my experience with this there is a marked improvement, seems alot sharper especially round corners and as Matt commented more accurate. Also the front seems more solid when going over humps and on uneven roads.

No I didn't use Unit18 mainly beacuse they are not local to me. I sourced the Cupra bushes from a local Seat dealer and bought the powerflex from Awesome GTI (who were very quick). Then asked a good local independent garage to fit them, who were happy to do this as they had just recently bought the tools do this job (all at reasonable labour charges).

Though I suspect there are better mods to be had I think this is more than worthwhile if your original bushes need replacing (which I suspect a fair few out there do), as they will need replacing whatever (can fail MOT on worn bushes).

Reasonable labour charge being?

If you do a search I got a load of quotes, all seemed to want loads of money!

Labour was 1 hour a side at £62.50 an hour (two hours in total). Which I didn't think was too bad.

Labour was 1 hour a side at £62.50 an hour (two hours in total). Which I didn't think was too bad.

Whereabouts are you? Putting some geographical info in your profile will help other members, who might want to use the same garage.

As you can see from others, labour charges do differ quite a bit in other parts of the country...

Steve

funnily enough i put a post about a steering noise yesterday. its clunking as i turn the wheel idle or moving. i have been into skoda and they said the front rear wishbone bushes have split. quoted £180 fitted. so i nipped into awesome on the way back, they quoted £260 with tracking for the uprated bushes. i have just got a quote from demon tweeks for £148 fitted with tracking, but advised to change all on the front. do the cupra and powerflew both fit on the front. ei..front front & rear front...make sense???? :think:

Yes the cupra bushes fit to the back of the front wishbone (console bush) and the powerflex fits to the front of the wishbone. You can get a powerflex insert for your existing console bushes however these really aren't rated. They slip into the existing Skoda bush however just as easily slip back out again, well covered on here. You can also replace the bushes on the anti roll bar on the front with powerflex ones however I wouldn't reckon its worth doing unless the originals are worn.

Well as for labour charges I still think that is good for garages around here especially with all the necessary kit (Bosch etc). Two months ago the car was in for a service at a Skoda dealer and they wanted £180 (with parts) just to change the console bushes and that would have meant like for like replacement more or less (probably failing in a couple of years and poorer handling).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my Furby booked in this Thursday to get the ibiza cupra bushes fitted at my mates work (discounted rate on labour ;) ) but he tells me that they may have to look at the Anti-Roll bars as well. Is this true and are they expensive couldn't find anything quoting a rough price on here?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Replaced the console bushes with the standard version. Bushes were pretty badly worn/torn. BTW, new design has 4 spokes, not 2. No vibration through steering wheel under acceleration now. Really pleased.

Cost for parts and fitting from local mechanic (20 years in the business) and re-aligning by wee outfit in Glasgow was less than £100. That's the best by a distance, so far, in this thread.

Dealers in this part of the land are charging in the region of £65/hour. Standard of workmanship often doesn't equate.

I've got my Furby booked in this Thursday to get the ibiza cupra bushes fitted at my mates work (discounted rate on labour ;) ) but he tells me that they may have to look at the Anti-Roll bars as well. Is this true and are they expensive couldn't find anything quoting a rough price on here?

Any help will be much appreciated.

the collars on the front roll bar can crack, leading to the rollbar moving across in the bushes, if this has occured, then it will be worthwhile fitting a new rollbar, the new ones are modified to so this doesn't occur, Powerflex do roll bar bushes also

doing my console bushes / roll Bar bushes on 1.9 diesel Vrs on Wednesday , though was surprised to find that the front control arm bush is no longer stocked as a separate item ( local main Skoda dealer in north Wales ) , and you have to buy a complete arm to get one !

hope mine is ok :'(

any idea if the Polo one will fit ( assuming there is a spare available )

doing my console bushes / roll Bar bushes on 1.9 diesel Vrs on Wednesday , though was surprised to find that the front control arm bush is no longer stocked as a separate item ( local main Skoda dealer in north Wales ) , and you have to buy a complete arm to get one !

hope mine is ok :'(

any idea if the Polo one will fit ( assuming there is a spare available )

No, there never has been a TCA front bush available as a spare part - only rear bush - but that is not in the TCA its in a console and the pin of the TCA passes through it.

If anyone needs Cupra TCA rear bushes - use "search" or look in the "how to" section -I'm sure you will find it there - or just go to a Seat dealer and ask for a - maybe 2003MY Ibiza Cupra TCA rear bush - 2-off.

I think that you will find that most of the Techs reckon that the front bush should be okay as they are tough!

Edited by rum4mo