Crash Test

ouch! Hope you get it sorted out and no injury to yourself.

now its dealer and insurance company business

the fact is that the speed was about only 60 km/h, but my wife could not get out of the icy trails and the vrs made it's move towards the tree, hit it and made a sudden 360 turn. In that moment I as a rear passenger hit my head towards the rear door pilar. And now the doctors gave me one week off. Wife and the kid who were in front are ok. Interesting, but none of the air bags went off :wonder:

Is that the Pablo Picasso special edition?

Correct, but did you know that the full and precise name of that car's edition is:

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso special edition?

now its dealer and insurance company business

the fact is that the speed was about only 60 km/h, but my wife could not get out of the icy trails and the vrs made it's move towards the tree, hit it and made a sudden 360 turn. In that moment I as a rear passenger hit my head towards the rear door pilar. And now the doctors gave me one week off. Wife and the kid who were in front are ok. Interesting, but none of the air bags went off :wonder:

The bang on the head's none to good; you're not feeling unaccountably tired and/or irritable I hope? (suspected concussion).

If the airbags didn't fire, you were doing under 32kph when you reached the tree.

If the airbags didn't fire, you were doing under 32kph when you reached the tree.

How does the car determine what speed you were doing at the accident?

Presumably if all 4 wheels were locked up (as is possible on ice) the car would assume you weren't moving....

How does the car determine what speed you were doing at the accident?

Presumably if all 4 wheels were locked up (as is possible on ice) the car would assume you weren't moving....

I was assuming this too

The airbags are set off by accelerometers, so the crumple zones in the car absorbed enough energy that the peak deceleration was below the airbag threshold or the directions in which it impacted were such that airbags wouldn't have made the crash any safer. No airbags deploying means the repairs to the car will be much cheaper...

The airbags are set off by accelerometers, so the crumple zones in the car absorbed enough energy that the peak deceleration was below the airbag threshold or the directions in which it impacted were such that airbags wouldn't have made the crash any safer. No airbags deploying means the repairs to the car will be much cheaper...

True, but they're also electrically disabled at low reported speed.

Interesting - So if a car ploughs into you while you're stopped at a junction the airbags don't deploy. My parents experience in a 2000 Octavia directly contradicts this. They were stopped at a T Junction (Slightly too far out) and the nose of the car was hit by a driver passing. Both airbags went off. The car was written off and my parents walked away without a scratch.

Interesting - So if a car ploughs into you while you're stopped at a junction the airbags don't deploy.

They will go off if the car hitting you is creates enough force to be greater than the threshold. The threshold is related to force not speed and the speed comment earlier really just indicated an approximate equivalent value.

Edited by K1W1

True, but they're also electrically disabled at low reported speed.

I'm not so sure, I know of an Octavia that was smashed head on pretty hard whilst she was stationary (a van didn't make the corner) and the airbag did go off. Amazingly she was absolutely fine.

Just returned from the dealer.

Approximate cost for the repairs (if nothing extra would come out, like damaged gear box) is 6000 euros and timing for about 1 month. Thanks to my insurance company who provided me with VW Golf V for 30 days :)