Panoramic Roof

BillScarab

As a paid up member of the SMPSAS, here's some various pictures of said panoramic sunroof. In summary, no creaks or rattles (accept for a couple of minutes when covered in ice), no condensation, no leaks, self-closing blind (somehow!), loads of light - and if it's hot inside, open it up and let the heat out... emoticon-0144-nod.gif

200912130001.jpg

201001240023.jpg

201001240022.jpg

201001240025.jpg

201001240039.jpg

201001240040.jpg

201001240042.jpg

201001240037.jpg

I had better not show y wife these images. She might change her mind and want the sunroof! Where are the mountains and woodland scenes. :rofl: The Yeti looks very good in white! I would be tempted if I did not live here and was less concerned for for the security of my wild life. £410 cheaper also.

Very Good and thank you for posting the images aerofurb.

Brilliant pics Aerofurb, thanks for them. Looking forward to playing with that sunroof

Do you have to scrape fliesoff the mesh windbreaker?

Cheers

The Wirral Yeti seam to be multiplying. :thumbup: I know the Wirral quite well particularly the Upton area. it has really changed over the years, so built up now. Still, lot of beautiful places left.

The Wirral Yeti seam to be multiplying. :thumbup: I know the Wirral quite well particularly the Upton area. it has really changed over the years, so built up now. Still, lot of beautiful places left.

If I see one near my SM, I will throw a bucket of water over it! :giggle:

Glad the pictures are of use, folks. Haven't had it open on the road yet, fuzzybunny, might wait till it warms up a bit yet, so the deflector is fly free!

Go on give it a go. :giggle: You can tell us how quiet it is and how the climate control keeps up. :rofl: On :sun: sunny days some soft top drivers often drop the top even in the winter so it may be acceptable with just a hole in the roof unless it is :rain: .

• 3 years later...

Old topic resurrection :)

Was wondering how people feel about the Panoramic sunroof option, now that there should be a few years use under their belts.

Any idea if they add extra weight, or whether having one means less rigidity in the roof structure ?

I have had the roof on both my Yetis. First option to be ticked. Wasn't a fan of light interiors coming from a Golf GTI with no sun roof and dark headlining, but wouldn't go back now.

In winter with blind shut it can still feel 'cosy' and I normally have it shut after dark.

Great in summer for cooling the car quickly. Drop windows and slide roof back and its a refreshing change from being stuck in an air conditioned box! Tilt function used with blind across when parked at work.

Had a couple of creaks with first one but resolved by lubricating runners. No problems with current one. Now into 4th year of Yeti ownership and still think its an amazing all rounder.

I recall from days of Zafira ownership, and reading the manual - that Zafiras with the panoramic roof had to have higher speed rated tyres than those without. I assumed this was due to the increased weight of the roof, and its effect on cornering (more weight, very high up).

Was wondering if the Yeti handbook mentions any different specs in the handbook - weight, tyre ratings, or anything else ?

Anyone care to have a flick through ? (Or is there a copy of the handbook online anywhere so I can look?)

The other concern I have - and this is perhaps because I've had a nasty accident before in which I rolled over a dry stone wall - is whether having the sunroof removes any steel crossmembers that would normally be present in the roof structure ?

Probably something no-one else even worries about, but I;d be interested to know. Perhaps there are some diagrams of roof panels in Etka or similar that show the differences

The car would have been designed from the outset to take a sunroof of this size.  I can't imagine they will add cross members to a non-sunroof Yeti so both have the same structure that sits AROUND the sunroof aperture.  But ETKA should confirm that as I'm thinking aloud here.

On my Audi there was a thread about the weights of options and my sunroof (of roughly similar size to the Yeti) added 35kg of weight and raised the centre of gravity I'd wager by 2mm.   :giggle:   I tried to do the same here but no-one seemed interested or knew the weights:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/163942-weight-of-yeti-options/

It's a fantastic option to both cool the car down in summer (when left on tilt) and let light in ALL YEAR especially of you have the black on black on black interior (that is upper dash, lower dash and seats in Audi speak).

On my Audi there was a thread about the weights of options and my sunroof (of roughly similar size to the Yeti) added 35kg of weight and raised the centre of gravity I'd wager by 2mm.   :giggle:   I tried to do the same here but no-one seemed interested or knew the weights:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/163942-weight-of-yeti-options/

That's interesting, thanks :) 35kg is a fair old weight.

It makes a huge difference to the cabin and aesthetically I much prefer it. But I doubt if I would ever order another car with this option. It was a source of much grief during the early stages of my two and a half years of ownership.

Scraping a layer of ice of the sunroof on a frosty morning and covering the interior with the resulting snow was not a pleasant experience. Being told by supplying dealer that it was 'environmental' and that I would need to live with it was the 'icing' on the cake. I had to finally resort to contacting the head of Skoda UK to make any progress with dealers diagnosing the problem. Which another dealer finally did. The saga is well documented on this forum.

If I could be guaranteed that I wouldn't go through that sort of nonsense again, then yes I would rather have one fitted than not. But the reality of living with one would make me think long and hard before I ever ticked that particular box on the option list again.

There was also Lee's leaking problem (the car's, not his ;)), but that did get fixed. Although that might be because of his own attention to detail :)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294146-leaking-panoramic-sunroof-have-a-look-here/

I'm considering a Yeti at the moment and must say that the panoramic roof is very tempting. It's only really the high option cost that's putting me off (most expensive option on the Yeti?)

Cheers,
Steve

I'm considering a Yeti at the moment and must say that the panoramic roof is very tempting. It's only really the high option cost that's putting me off (most expensive option on the Yeti?)

Erm, have you seen the cost of an optional Columbus?!  Or full leather / Alcantara seats?

Hi Guys

Agree with most comments but do be aware of some 'noise' issues in the Panoramic Roof Mechanism. My Elegance had to have the whole thing removed (3 days in workshop) to have assorted clonks sorted. It is a known issue - mine was the third one they had done. All covered by warranty and no issues getting dealer to do it. Does make interior much lighter and the blind closes (on my car anyway) after the doors are locked.

Grumpy