4x4 economy

red1200

Harvey1512 was asking about economy in the 'Is the Yeti VAG's cleverest vehicle' thread, and it was something i've been wondering about too so i though i'd start a new thread.

So is the 4wd economy (or even 2wd) as good as the brochure states? What sort of figures are people getting round town and out on the open road?

cheers

With 2500 ish on the clock I am averaging around the 42mpg mark, this is a mixture of mainly rural A, B and minor roads plus a little bit of duel carriage way and town stuff. Quite happy with this figure which will improve in time.

My previous Golf 4motion 2.0 TDI PD which had covered 4000 when I bought it gave me around 44mpg. 20,000 miles later regularly hitting 50mpg. :)

Regards,

TP

Same here. 140 TDI. It builds up to 46 mpg on a long journey. (A55 Dual Carriageway) Averages 39-42 on local runs.

My X-Trail averaged 33 mpg on long trips and that was when it was run in.

I did hope to save money with the Yeti but they increased the Diesel prices so back to square one!

Having now completed 3k in my SM, I'm getting 44 mpg on the daily urban commute, Did a 100 mile trip on the Motorway yesterday and the MFD reported 47 mpg. As I mentioned this is calulated from the MFD so I would guess I will be on about 42/45 respectfuly. :thumbup:

My Octy 1.9 DSG would only give me 45 mpg on a good day driving down hill with a tail wind. :giggle:

just nailed 1500miles on my CR170

Had to do a couple of Glasgow runs last week.

Motorway thrash 42mpg showing 81mph on the clock, GPS showing 76mph which keeps me under the radar so to speak ;)

My normal commute is 75miles or so a day through Scotlands rural finest averaging 49mpg strictly legal speeds and sedate-ish.

Really looking forward to my monster being completely run in. It's loosening up nicely.

All values are taken from MFD.

1000 miles with my 110hp 4x4 Yeti and the computer says 44mpg. I think most on here would say that's pretty good, but our Octavia 1.9PD 4x4 is doing 54mpg - though that has covered 70000 miles, so it's pretty well run-in !!

Harvey1512 was asking about economy in the 'Is the Yeti VAG's cleverest vehicle' thread, and it was something i've been wondering about too so i though i'd start a new thread.

So is the 4wd economy (or even 2wd) as good as the brochure states? What sort of figures are people getting round town and out on the open road?

cheers

my 170 has done just over 1000 mls. and is returning about 40 mpg on mixed driving. with a light right foot the economy is phenomenol but its so hard to be sensible with all that power begging to be used! hope to get mid 40's with a few more miles on the clock and warmer weather.

no sign of dpf regen yet for me and anyone who says leather seats are cold should try heated ones, I didn't realise how much I would use them, they're wonderful if you get a stiff back!

my 170 has done just over 1000 mls. and is returning about 40 mpg on mixed driving. with a light right foot the economy is phenomenol but its so hard to be sensible with all that power begging to be used! hope to get mid 40's with a few more miles on the clock and warmer weather.

no sign of dpf regen yet for me and anyone who says leather seats are cold should try heated ones, I didn't realise how much I would use them, they're wonderful if you get a stiff back!

Totally agree with all points - especially the heated seats!

• 2 weeks later...

My monster (140 tdi Elegance 4x4) has just clocked up its first 1000 and is doing 39 - 41 mpg.(average) recently on a long motorway run it hit 48 mpg which came as a pleasant surprise.I am hoping to end up around 43-45 when it is fully run in.

MY little 1.2 petrol matches the Yeti diesels! I still can't believe this.. 1000kms, and 40-42mpg. Yesterday, on a quite 30km ride, I got a 46mpg average! 100% urban circulation gives 34mpg.. Coming from a petrol X-Trail which was scoring below 25mpg...Of course the 1.2 is almost 200kgs lighter than the 4x4s..

Edited by ikons

Dont suppose any 1.8TSi owners care to share their mpg figures by any chance? :giggle::D

Lee (currently awaiting deliver of a 1.8TSi) :rofl:

After 500miles of predominatly London surburian driving average mileage according to trip computer is 31.8 to gallon, not bad I don't think compared to Mk 1 Octavia vRS wich was much the same after 6 1/2 years usage ( and was FWD only ), will keep you all posted partic. after our trip down to Monte Carlo in April.......

After 500miles of predominatly London surburian driving average mileage according to trip computer is 31.8 to gallon, not bad I don't think compared to Mk 1 Octavia vRS wich was much the same after 6 1/2 years usage ( and was FWD only ), will keep you all posted partic. after our trip down to Monte Carlo in April.......

I can cope with that. :thumbup: Thanks for the feedback.

That is really good consumption I reckon for a petrol engine 4x4 with a 0-60 time of just over 8 seconds!

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a 1.8 TSI. Any one else got any consumption data on their 1.8TSI?

Edited by rand

Mine average is at 32.1mpg for the last 3000km (total run now 4500km)

Mostly small trips 2-5km (snow, temp below 0). Some longer trips but then on narrow roads and with hills. Speed is up/down all the time.

On single trips without hills and better road quality I see 38-40mpg. All depend on how heavy you are on the pedal.

Mine now has 3400m on the clock, consumption between 39.1 - 41.0, tank to tank. This is mostly short haul driving in the Lakes, with quite a lot of hillwork.

Mine's done about 2.5k, also short trips in the hilly (South) Lakes, and the last fill-up to fill-up returned only 37 which is (a) very different from the on-board read-out, and (B) disappointing given that I'm getting older and wiser and using a light right-foot. Also a shock after getting mid-50s in my Mk V Golf Estate (also 140 bhp). In all other respects very pleased with it (except the alarm problems - now sorted, and the extraordinary 'turbo-lag' effect after downhills - feels like brakes being applied, and the propensity to stall when manoeuvring with low revs!!). Very glad to have got it at the beginning of December, just before the snow and ice.

Mine's done about 2.5k, also short trips in the hilly (South) Lakes, and the last fill-up to fill-up returned only 37 which is (a) very different from the on-board read-out, and (B) disappointing given that I'm getting older and wiser and using a light right-foot. Also a shock after getting mid-50s in my Mk V Golf Estate (also 140 bhp). In all other respects very pleased with it (except the alarm problems - now sorted, and the extraordinary 'turbo-lag' effect after downhills - feels like brakes being applied, and the propensity to stall when manoeuvring with low revs!!). Very glad to have got it at the beginning of December, just before the snow and ice.

how much did the computer differ from your 37mpg calculated fill up?

My Maxidot is over reading by around 3mpg (2600 miles to date). That said, who is to say the odometer is accurate when computing it manually - of course the Maxidot computer is using the same odometer reading so perhaps it all balances out.

My Fabia vRS computer to 'true' varied by as much as +/- 3mpg through its 70000 miles.

The speedometer is inacurate and their is no reason to supose that he trip meter is any more accurate, most proberbly far worse or the computer for that matter. I guess that at least if one manualy logs the amounts of fuel used against the trip then that lessens the compounding of errors. The only real way of having accurate mpg figures is to drive over known distances and comput fule use by brimming the tank on every occassion and using pump volumes.

Trip says 38mpg - 314 miles 40.19lts = 35.52mpg, mainly stuck in traffic,seen runs of 50 at times, so similar to my previously owned fab vrs,- 1.4 80 bph cake, - and focus 1.6tdi.

Regards

MIke

Since mid December mine has done 2,800 miles - about half of that motorway and hardly any urban - and is averaging 37.9 mpg. I also have a 5 year old golf 140 tdi dsg that does similar journeys at similar speeds and the average on that is 48 mpg. I too get the very strange lag/braking effect on downhills. Has anyone taken this up with Skoda?

Other than that its great to drive and everything I had hoped for.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

New report from a very satisfied 1.8TSi owner.

Total run now 6500km. First realy long journey, about 500km in one run gave maxidot value 44mpg.

Variable road quality, speed 70-90km/h. Journey went from Bergen,west coast of Norway to Elverum, eastern Norway. Mountain crossing at 1080m above sea- level.