Genuine VCDS (AKA Vag Com) Hex + Can USB inter-forum Group Buy 2010.

gadgetman

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about the Micro CAN lead, most people with a car that 2005 onwards only need this cable and is listed at £204 on Gendans website - so a GB could work out less than £200? Maybe you could get GBs for both micro CAn and HEX CAN and people could get what they needed. Just another idea and again I'm in no rush.

Edited by Rob GTI

im still in but as others have said 20k of businness is a lot to lose,ok he offered discount on 20 unit and we now have 100+units so surely a bigger disscount is obtainable.

will see how things pan out

Edited by davidfbmw

I am happy to say that I'll go with the majority here and pay the extra if needed but see a reasonable chance that a better deal can, with so many participants, be negotiated.

No hard feeling about the slight vat mistake Simon.

Hi Simon, I still fancy holding on for a cable but by all means contact other dealers and try and better the price, you have one massive lever here an order for 80 odd leads so that should count for a good discount, if you do a deal keep it secret as the other dealers will want to keep the price up ! Hope you are recovering well after the OP - Cheers Stuart. B)

I am happy to say that I'll go with the majority here and pay the extra if needed but see a reasonable chance that a better deal can, with so many participants, be negotiated.

No hard feeling about the slight vat mistake Simon.

Same here. I'm still in for the time being.

I wouldn't say that the supplier is taking the ****, as they're just standing by what was quoted. Like others though I think there should be scope to negotiate considering the volume of orders is much greater than what the original discount was quoted for. Whether you've got the time to keep negotiating though is a different matter, and I would understand if you haven't.

Edited by Ballesteros

Simon

as you know I have replied via PM but just to add my public support for all your efforts. Like others I am happy that we're still getting a better discount than available for buying individually but also VTech quoted a price based on 20 orders. As you managed to reach 110 then that may well change things. I would go back to them, explain the situation and see if the prospect of a £20k order can persuade them to move a little on the price. After all £20k is £20k. I have to make pricing decisions at work on the services we offer and I know that for a big chunk of work we discount the headline rate quite a bit as it's better to have a sustained period of work at lower margin than be worrying about whether we'll not get any business at all.

Good luck!

Simon

as you know I have replied via PM but just to add my public support for all your efforts. Like others I am happy that we're still getting a better discount than available for buying individually but also VTech quoted a price based on 20 orders. As you managed to reach 110 then that may well change things. I would go back to them, explain the situation and see if the prospect of a £20k order can persuade them to move a little on the price. After all £20k is £20k. I have to make pricing decisions at work on the services we offer and I know that for a big chunk of work we discount the headline rate quite a bit as it's better to have a sustained period of work at lower margin than be worrying about whether we'll not get any business at all.

Good luck!

I'm happy to go ahead with whatever you decide, wether that's switch to another supplier or stick with the existing supplier!

I think its definitely worth considering other UK suppliers Simon if you feel upto it. Echoing other user comments here any business that can supply official Hex-CAN USB cables will not sniff at nearly £20000 worth of money. Its got to be worth a few phone calls and if they see this thread themselves they could be chomping at the bit to get our business.

I will go with the majority vote either way at the end of the day, but I feel you are in a position to negotitate with other UK suppliers before going straight to V-Tech UK.

Best of luck

Regards

Andy

The problem with going the the EU is that the £ to Euro exchange rate is very poor at the moment so this could well make it more expensive than the UK.

The European distributors that have prices on their sites seem to be around the 400Eur mark which is about £360 at the current exchange rate. So unless the Euro rate improves drastically and they offer a substantial discount, I don't beleive that to be a viable option. Especially when adding international shipping charges and the hassle of negotiating in a foreign language.

PM'd you Simon.

All you can do is what you can do mate, no issues here. What you have done is in the best interests of all, so be interested to see where we go from here.

Cheers

Warren

My bad with the Euro prices... it was just a suggestion though. I doubt the shipping would have been too much - I had a full Powakaddy Robokaddy sent over from Germany last year for £20. I bet you could have fitted 100 Vagcom cables in the box no problem, and it would have still weighed less!

Did anyone call Marshalls Industrial and ask how much they were charging since someone suggested £149? Or did they get 20 phone calls today asking the price :giggle:

As for the extra accessories... the case looks like a cheap plastic thing worth a few £'s, the manual is available online to download, and the disk will probably be out of date within a few weeks! I'm not bothered either way. If we get them free then great - if not, its no big loss.

Marshalls charge £249.98 (inc vat) with next day delivery

Here

Included in kit: Diagnostic lead, 908 Software CD Rom, Installation manual, 908 Users manual (hard & electronic copy), Durable plastic carry case.

vag-com-diagnostic.jpg

01491 834666

Edited by sjolliff

I don't know how many have pulled out for a refund in the last few days, but the majority of posts seem to say they'll stick around and see what happens.

I wonder what sort of discount they'd offer on 75(?) orders?

I very much doubt Marshalls can offer the same product for £150 delivered. When they were contacted, I was given their price for their pro kit; end of. No discounts available. Also took 4 calls and 2 emails to get that!

Simon

Now I may be a little rusty on the maths, but see how this works.

Marshalls are £249 for the full kit. (I'm presuming that quoted price includes vat). Delivered.

V Tech are £195 plus vat (£229.13) for a stripped down kit, with one off shipping to Gadget. Then add in the plastic carry case worth £8 ish, the instructions and hard copy of VCDS, and shipping to us at £7 from Gadget, that makes our group buy kit worth a comparable £244 and they don't supply the manual or CD.

If I wanted a stripped down kit then perhaps it's not too bad a deal as I can save £13, which is pretty much the cost of the bits and pieces that V Tech are leaving out of the deal. If I wanted a full kit and had to make up the bits myself then it's not such a good deal.

I'm sort of thinking that V Tech have an opportunity to shift a load of cables at the standard price of a cable, and the only saving they're offering is not to have the other bits that make up the full kit.

Someone correct me if my maths is out.

It does include VAT

I Actually placed my order this morning and is comming via Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded. So should be here 2moz,

As i need my cable soon as.

Edited by sjolliff

Does include VAT

I Actually placed my order this morning and is comming via Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded. So should be here 2moz,

Have you had your refund yet?

Once I recieve mine I shall be off to get my Vag-com, need to get the car scanned asap- goes in to VW next week :S

Let me know in a pm or something tho what you recieve from Marshalls :thumbup:

I'm sort of thinking that V Tech have an opportunity to shift a load of cables at the standard price of a cable, and the only saving they're offering is not to have the other bits that make up the full kit.

Someone correct me if my maths is out.

Your calculations sound right to me.

I was tempted to do this too - but as Simon has gone to such an effort arranging and getting everyones money I'd feel bad abandoning ship at this stage.

.I was tempted to do this too - but as Simon has gone to such an effort arranging and getting everyones money I'd feel bad abandoning ship at this stage.

It was nothing against Simon or his efforts, i think he has done a great job,

i just need the cable ASAP as my car has been running funny the past week

Edited by sjolliff

Ok.

Sorry but I'm not letting the distributor bashing continue. I'm not sure how many times some what it, but this mess is mine not theirs to sort. If you have an issue, then vent at me. I'm available for weddings and public floggings etc.

As many of you many be aware, sterling has bombed recently. I think given my balls up, the distributor hasnt left us hanging. They have agreed to honour the quote as supplied but obv we all need to know where we stand first. This is even after already getting the terms extended from their 30 days standard.

As for new quotes, sorry but no I'm not going through all the hastle again and see no reason those that offered little discount, couldnt be ar55ed replying at all, feel replying 30 days after my email etc etc should get any business. If you feel they'll offer you the support and back up when you need it go right ahead.

Yesterday was a really rubbish day for me. This mess was just the icing on the cake. As you know I had an op on Friday. Since then I have been very sore, and getting the call after trying to p*ss for some 12 hours, and farting what feels like razor blades wasnt exactly peachy.

If someone feels I'm looking for sympathy, I'm really not. But look up hemorrhoidectomy, especially post op stuff, for just an idea of how little I needed this yesterday.

I dont know what else people would like so there are now 2 choices I'm going to entertain.

Those that wish to continue with the GB, at the correct price it should have been let me know. Depending on numbers I'm sure we can work on posteage/getting the cable to you one way or another.

Or

I'll refund you via electronic transfer ASAP the full collected from you.

I'm so sorry to everyone. If I could cover the shortfall I really would as it's my error. But £3.5k just isnt something I have lying around.