Speeding up Bolero SD, possible solution

I dont understand any of this.

This is what I did:

Copied albums in iTunes and then pasted them into individual folders in my SDHC Card. (One for each Album)

What is the capacity of the card and what is the total size of the data on it?

• 1 month later...

You won't get an answer! I took my car back to the dealer to report the problem a few days after I got it, they tried the SD card in both Bolero & Columbus and it did the same on both systems. :thumbdown:

I've given up with SD cards, they're a complete and utter WOTAM, I've got MDI fitted and so I'm just about to order a 160Gb Ipod for personal use & I'll put my old nearly full 30Gb one in the car, I know that it works and the shuffle function on it does what I want it to. :thumbup:

mailed SUK - in vain hope of some help.

As Warren has said - you'll be wasting your time!

Just follow the instructions earlier in this thread and you'll be able to have a workable system though.

You won't get an answer! I took my car back to the dealer to report the problem a few days after I got it, they tried the SD card in both Bolero & Columbus and it did the same on both systems. :thumbdown:

That's odd as the Columbus I tried my card in was perfect - exactly as it should have been on the Bolero.

Don't forget Warren, your mp3 ID tags are not only from another planet, but maybe even from another universe so that may have got something to do with it as well. :giggle:

I'd forgotten this thread existed, I simply don't even consider the Bolero to have a problem at all when it comes to SD cards now that I'm using playlists.

It's excellent, even if at least one member is not happy, just adding for balance that's all.

thanks to those contributors who helped with the playlist 'mod' :)

I'd forgotten this thread existed, I simply don't even consider the Bolero to have a problem at all when it comes to SD cards now that I'm using playlists.

It's excellent, even if at least one member is not happy, just adding for balance that's all.

thanks to those contributors who helped with the playlist 'mod' :)

You shouldn't have to faff about with playlists... I like to vary the music I have on my card which would mean rewriting playlists every time I change the music. It should just work. The Bolero has a problem emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Anyone care to do the maths?

I've got 1193 folders (one for each artist), with 2590 tracks of music in it, which is being added to at an average of 4 tracks a week, (my 16Gb card is already too small!)

So anyone care to work out how many playlists & how long it would take me to create them even if it did fit on a 16Gb card!

I'm not even going to consider buying a 32Gb card because at the current rate of additions my music collection will out do it within a matter of months!!!

A 64Gb card isn't available & won't be readable by the bloody Bolero anyway.

You shouldn't have to faff about with playlists... I like to vary the music I have on my card which would mean rewriting playlists every time I change the music. It should just work. The Bolero has a problem emoticon-0124-worried.gif

It took me 30 minutes and I'll have the car for 3 years and maybe I'll take the SD card with me when i change.

So perhaps you're right, I shouldn't have to faff with playlists, but I have and it's done.

So would a Java application(windows, Linux and Mac) that recursively scans through an SD card with music on it, and creates a playlist for each folder it finds and saves these playlists to the root of the SD card work for people?

If that's what people want, I can knock one of those up when I have a couple of quiet evenings.

The Bolero has a problem emoticon-0124-worried.gif

True but do you want to wait for SUK to solve it or do a workaround that will make it usable? :wonder:

Anyone care to do the maths?

I've got 1193 folders (one for each artist), with 2590 tracks of music in it, which is being added to at an average of 4 tracks a week, (my 16Gb card is already too small!)

So anyone care to work out how many playlists & how long it would take me to create them even if it did fit on a 16Gb card!

Okay I'll do the maths - you appear to have 2.17 tracks per artist.

As most albums have at least 10 tracks then you must be discarding 80% of them to put your favourite 2 tracks onto the SD card.

I'm then presuming you either totally 'go off' that artist or don't bother getting any more of their tracks.

Anyway, from your scenario you'd need 1193 playlists (of just 2 tracks each) if you wanted to listen to each individual artist or 1 playlist of 2590 tracks if you wanted to 'mix' as you like to do.

Why not have a playlist for each genre to simplify things?

As for how long it would take you - well, probably an eternity unless cheezemonkhai puts the Master Plan into action! :rofl:

So would a Java application(windows, Linux and Mac) that recursively scans through an SD card with music on it, and creates a playlist for each folder it finds and saves these playlists to the root of the SD card work for people?

If that's what people want, I can knock one of those up when I have a couple of quiet evenings.

That would be fantastic as it's obvious that creating playlists isn't the easiest thing for everyone to do. Can the playlist name be taken from the folder name?

That would be handy. I knocked up a quick java app to do this but it's not really my thing and was nasty command line based. (I do C not Java). I wondered whether or not something could be created that used the ID3 tags to generate the file structure + playlists? I've not looked in the to detail as yet but something along the lines of have a dir that contains the files. Read each one, extract ID3 tags, build up file system using the tags to create genre/artist/album/song and create playlist for each album. Perhaps if it's good enough Skoda would like to pay for it... :D

It took me 30 minutes and I'll have the car for 3 years and maybe I'll take the SD card with me when i change.

So perhaps you're right, I shouldn't have to faff with playlists, but I have and it's done.

So that's half an hour every time I change the music on the card? No thanks, i have better things to do with my life

*Cough* Extra Screen and controller on the dash *Cough* emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Controller on the dash? Lol, no nice one on the steering wheel thatc ontrols the lot, and the screen is rather nice too, especially if like me you are sad enough to make a skoda wallpaper for it :)

*Cough* Extra Screen and controller on the dash *Cough* emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Not to mention its tendancy to crash, forget its bluetooth pairing and needing constant updating. theres a reason I didn't evenblink whe i was asked if my parrot would be staying in the car when part ex'd

Controller on the dash? Lol, no nice one on the steering wheel thatc ontrols the lot, and the screen is rather nice too, especially if like me you are sad enough to make a skoda wallpaper for it :)

My boss has the Parrot in his car and it is a good piece of kit. I just wanted integrated bluetooth, personally, I wouldn't have the controller on the steering wheel if I had got the parrot, but I know most people do...

I'd probably also have gone for the 9100 and had the 2 line LCD rather than the screen of the 9200... In fact, before I found out about the Fiscon, that's exactly what I was going to do...

Not to mention its tendancy to crash, forget its bluetooth pairing and needing constant updating. theres a reason I didn't evenblink whe i was asked if my parrot would be staying in the car when part ex'd

Crashed once, easily sorted, never had a problem with the bluetooth pairing. Constant updating???? about every 3 months, not that much of a ball ache. Think you must have got a duff one.

Parrot/Fiscon is all a matter of taste. I like the controller on the steering wheel now I have it in a position I dont keep knocking it and I like the fact I dont have to move my hands off the steering wheel to adjust anything, make calls etc. The display doesnt really bother me, it actually blends in quite well, mine is in the space between the two heater vents in the middle of the dash.

So that's half an hour every time I change the music on the card? No thanks, i have better things to do with my life

LOL why are people so defensive! It's a 16GB card with 252 albums (2969 songs), I simply don't ever need more than that.

It's cool that you have better things to do with your life, I'm just saying that the playlist solution is workable for me and probably lots of other people. I also have an ipod but I find I end up listening to the same favourite albums all the time.

LOL why are people so defensive! It's a 16GB card with 252 albums (2969 songs), I simply don't ever need more than that.

It's cool that you have better things to do with your life, I'm just saying that the playlist solution is workable for me and probably lots of other people. I also have an ipod but I find I end up listening to the same favourite albums all the time.

I may knock up a shell script to do it for me, that way I will probably spend half an hour writing it and then it will only take a few minutes every time I change the contents of the card, however, I shouldn't have to do this, it should just work.

A work around is just that, working round a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place...

Crashed once, easily sorted, never had a problem with the bluetooth pairing. Constant updating???? about every 3 months, not that much of a ball ache. Think you must have got a duff one.

When my boss first got his, there were 4 or 5 updates in the first 3 months of ownership... Then the frequency of updates dropped dramatically...

Parrot/Fiscon is all a matter of taste. I like the controller on the steering wheel now I have it in a position I dont keep knocking it and I like the fact I dont have to move my hands off the steering wheel to adjust anything, make calls etc. The display doesnt really bother me, it actually blends in quite well, mine is in the space between the two heater vents in the middle of the dash.

So you can't hit the hazard light switch easily now? I know it's not used often, but I do like to have unfettered access to that button :)