Audi knob

rob_e

No, not a description of a particular driver... quick post of a pic of my new gear knob.

When I got my FL last week I took an instant dislike to the std vrs knob - too much chrome which is at odds with the brushed alu trim in the rest of the cabin plus its an ergonomic disaster - completely the wrong shape for your hand.

I'd seen a pic some time back on here posted by magic62 showing his carbon effect interior - he'd fitted an Audi S-Line knob so I went the same way.

Its brushed alu, so matches the interior AND the leather is perforated in exactly the same way as the steering wheel, so it looks more "factory" than the original IMO> check out the pic. AND its a pleasure to hold.

Also, I'm well aware that this thread has great opportunities for double-entendre and knob gags - so don't hold back - give it your best shot ;) best gag wins a lightly damaged chrome skoda gear knob! [postage not included]

post-32051-12664843216128_thumb.jpg

I for one have never gagged on a knob.

Lying ba5tard, your'e always giving people a mouthful!!!

A local reporter was doing a door to door survey about the various uses of vaseline. He knocked on a door, and a man answered in his bathrobe.

"Sir, could you tell me what you use vaseline for?"

"Hmm...well, dry lips, dry skin, and, of course, sex."

"Sex?"

"Well, me and the missus smother a load of vaseline on the door knob.........."

"Hmmm, how does that help you have sex?"

"It keeps the kids out."

• Like 2

Looking Good Rob B) did you just swap the Knob bit over :giggle: (oh er!! ) or the whole stick .. I've just ordered one from the Bay of E............

Just the knob.

Although the pic in the auction only showed the knob, when it turned up it was a proper OEM audi item that came with a leather gaiter attached.

The audi gaiter won't fit the skoda console so you need to separate both knobs from their respective gaiters. The skoda gaiter fits easily on to the audi knob, and pops back on the shaft (giggle) easily, held on by a circular clip thingie.

Took about 10 mins to change but most of that was working out how stuff fits together.

Here's the link to the auction - bought mine from ebay germany as it worked out cheaper than buying from the uk sellers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200413685552&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

cheers

Rob

Just the knob.

Although the pic in the auction only showed the knob, when it turned up it was a proper OEM audi item that came with a leather gaiter attached.

The audi gaiter won't fit the skoda console so you need to separate both knobs from their respective gaiters. The skoda gaiter fits easily on to the audi knob, and pops back on the shaft (giggle) easily, held on by a circular clip thingie.

Took about 10 mins to change but most of that was working out how stuff fits together.

Here's the link to the auction - bought mine from ebay germany as it worked out cheaper than buying from the uk sellers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200413685552&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

cheers

Rob

Thanks for that Rob...all ordered and on route from Germany..i'll post pics up when it's fitted...Thanks again mate :clap:

It looks odd, only because it is so different to the original. I guess it would grow on you, but then I have never had a problem with the original.

On my PD vRS I actually added the leather gearknob from the Skoda accessory catalogue without seeing it (dealer fit prior to delivery). In fact it was exactly the same as the gearknob now fitted as standard to the FL vRS.

The dealer gave me the old gearknob, but it was a bit mangled from when they had removed and it could not be re-used.

Sorry no innuendos!

Edited by GriffoVRS

So Rob,

After copying your short aerial mod (arrived today and looks much better - thanks), I am also now tempted by this. What exactly needs doing to remove the old one, is it just brute force to unscrew it? Is it then just a case of screwing the Audi one on?

Thanks. Nick.

What? Clearly you gave your dealer a knob job!

That reminds me of the old Mike Reid classic :-

Q. What's the difference between a penis and a bonus ?

A. SWMBO will always blow your bonus !

:o:o

So Rob,

After copying your short aerial mod (arrived today and looks much better - thanks), I am also now tempted by this. What exactly needs doing to remove the old one, is it just brute force to unscrew it? Is it then just a case of screwing the Audi one on?

Thanks. Nick.

copy cat :p

- pull up the gaiter, it'll unclip and bring the base /metallised frame up with it, pull it up over the knob so you can see the mechanism

- use a screwdriver or pliers to loosen the circular metal clip at the base of the knob then just pull the knob upwards

- the (fake) leather gaiter is attached to the knob with with a circular plastic clip - just rotate and pull and you'll separate them.

- then as they say in a haynes manual, re-assembly is the reverse of removal.

no screwing involved. ;)

Q. What's the difference between a penis and a bonus ?

Brimma - i'd be very worried if you asked me that question - i mean, if you dont' know the difference, your boss could really be shafting you?

:giggle:

.. sorry, back to cars.

cheers

Rob

Does it really only show 5 forward gears as the ebay picture seems to do?

Update: I see it says "Folgende Versionen sind verfügbar: 5 - Gang oder 6 - Gang Bitte in der Kaufabwicklung angeben ob Sie 5 - Gang oder 6 - Gang wünschen" so I guess it is offering both versions

Edited by muckipup

cheers

Rob

Is this the correct link that you used for the 6 speed version, as the photos show a 5 speed one? Sorry but my German is very, very poor, and only the payment instructions seem to convert to English.

I'm no techie, but I'm guessing the DSG wouldn't be quite as straightforward because of the button on the knob allowing movement ?

Is this the correct link that you used for the 6 speed version, as the photos show a 5 speed one? Sorry but my German is very, very poor, and only the payment instructions seem to convert to English.

Yes - you specify five or six speed when you do the checkout bit. If you're not confident on the german site there are ones on uk eBay too...

Even if it was a straight swap, why would you want a shifter with 'S3' written on it for an Octy??